Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,606 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 28, 2014 22:54 |  #1276

TerminalCity wrote in post #17355196 (external link)
The red square means the focus point was active at the time of capture, black square means it wasn't. Eg, if you are using AF-On to enable focus but let it go the AF isn't active when the image was captured (and all you'd need to to is sway a little on your feet forward or backwards to through the focal plane off the subject).

Since there's only one point showing in your image above, I'd hazard a guess that these images were captured in live view with a single point selected and you have AF removed from the shutter.

Thanks!

I've been sweating these results and have learned a bit in the last few hours. I think I've solved it now - might be trivial for many, I guess.

Yes, I was using back-button focus. I let go of the button after getting focus. No need to keep focusing once it's focused, is there? But somehow the focus must have shifted, on every single shot taken that way, and those shots are all soft. For the last few, I must have kept my thumb on the AF-ON button while clicking and got good focus in those.

Phew, so it's not the 7D2 or the lens. Nor was it hand-holding a long focal length, nor the vibration of the car I was in.

This was the first time using BBF for me, and a good lesson on how to do it right.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
TerminalCity
237 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 28, 2014 23:02 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1277

Glad to help and you figured it out - also glad I'm not the only one who seems to unconsciously move forward or backward when I think I'm standing or sitting still! I have to be really careful on the occasions I shoot one-shot or let go of AF-On, especially when shooting with a shallow DOF.

Looks like there could be a change in the behaviour to in the AF point display between DPP 3 & 4 - I've uninstalled version 3 so can't test that any more.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,606 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 28, 2014 23:16 |  #1278

TerminalCity wrote in post #17355220 (external link)
Glad to help and you figured it out - also glad I'm not the only one who seems to unconsciously move forward or backward when I think I'm standing or sitting still! I have to be really careful on the occasions I shoot one-shot or let go of AF-On, especially when shooting with a shallow DOF.

Looks like there could be a change in the behaviour to in the AF point display between DPP 3 & 4 - I've uninstalled version 3 so can't test that any more.

All the OOF shots were taken from my car, so little chance of swaying out of focus. Instead I must have disturbed the focus ring somehow for each shot.

At the end of this sequence I got out of the car, risking spooking the bird. This had two unexpected benefits: I inadvertantly kept the AF button pressed while shooting, plus it got the bird's attention, which then turned its head towards me and opened its beautiful yellow eyes wide.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TerminalCity
237 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 28, 2014 23:21 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1279

..with a good result I think! Forgot to mention that earlier. Looks quite regal perched up there surveying the world.

Lester ­ Wareham
27,935 posts
Gallery: 3103 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 29, 2014 03:25 |  #1280

Archibald wrote in post #17355018 (external link)
I'm having some issues getting consistent focus on this snowy owl. Took more than 50 shots ... happy that half a dozen were sharp, but the others were blurry. That's scary, so I'm doing checking to see if I can figure out what went wrong.

As part of that, I'm displaying AF points in DPP, and I noticed sometimes the AF squares are depicted black, and sometimes red. Does anyone know the significance? I would really like to know, because for these shots, only the shots with red AF points gave sharp results.

I can't seem to find a manual for DPP 4, and the DPP 3 manual doesn't talk about AF points.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=173​55018&i=i24175013
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I think red indicates the focus point was locked and black just shows the selected but unlocked focus point, but I am not 100% sure.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

mnphotos
751 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 29, 2014 09:21 |  #1281

Archibald wrote in post #17355018 (external link)

I can't seem to find a manual for DPP 4, and the DPP 3 manual doesn't talk about AF points.

Here's a link to the manual.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …rk_ii#Brochures​AndManuals (external link)

8612images
735 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2014 10:58 |  #1282

Sending number 2 back.

Anyone have success with one ordered recently from Adorama or BH? May try #3 before I give up.

Steve

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2014 11:10 |  #1283

Yes the red shows which AF point/s locked. If you focus and recompose in one shot it will not show the actual AF point you locked on. Only were it wound up after recomposing. In AI Servo if you are shooting and the point goes off a bird for instance it may show the AF point locked in the sky. This can also vary in the bird itself you were tracking on the head and the point shows at the tail. So you have to pay attention to that.

IN DPP 4. First off you can select if you want AF points to be visible in the thumbnails. Top bar. Thumbnails - AF Points. I found this irritating so I unchecked it. In Tools - AF Display Settings you select to view all AF points and it will show locked focus points in red. Or you can choose Show Only AF points in focus which I prefer. Easier to look at ones in focus than all 65 AF points.

You can also set your cam so the AF point/s are displayed on the LCD.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,606 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2014 11:22 |  #1284

Thanks!

Still doesn't give much info about the AF points. (It's OK, red means focus locked.)

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,606 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2014 11:23 |  #1285

digital paradise wrote in post #17355829 (external link)
Yes the red shows which AF point/s locked. If you focus and recompose in one shot it will not show the actual AF point you locked on. Only were it wound up after recomposing. In AI Servo if you are shooting and the point goes off a bird for instance it may show the AF point locked in the sky. This can also vary in the bird itself you were tracking on the head and the point shows at the tail. So you have to pay attention to that.

IN DPP 4. First off you can select if you want AF points to be visible in the thumbnails. Top bar. Thumbnails - AF Points. I found this irritating so I unchecked it. In Tools - AF Display Settings you select to view all AF points and it will show locked focus points in red. Or you can choose Show Only AF points in focus which I prefer. Easier to look at ones in focus than all 65 AF points.

You can also set your cam so the AF point/s are displayed on the LCD.

Thanks!

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,610 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2014 12:23 |  #1286

8612images wrote in post #17355808 (external link)
Sending number 2 back.

Anyone have success with one ordered recently from Adorama or BH? May try #3 before I give up.

Mine came from Adorama last week. Had them pull me one from another shipment. Nowhere near as bad as the first, but also nowhere near my 1D4. It ships back tomorrow.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

8612images
735 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2014 12:40 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #1287

bummer.

Thought I'd give it one more go

Steve

Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 29, 2014 12:54 |  #1288

Yeah, that was my experience. First was bad , second seemed alot better, but still not right.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 29, 2014 13:12 |  #1289

Kickflipkid687:
Would love to get your take on my recent experiences:
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17355823

8612images:
I've purchased all 3 7D2 bodies from Adorama...2 have gone back and one may still ;)

I think it's just luck of the draw. Adorama customer support is awesome, and I'd definitely order from them again.

PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

Kickflipkid687
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 29, 2014 14:35 as a reply to  @ ppmax's post |  #1290

That seems about right.

I haven't used the 5D enough to compare exactly.
Although I had really bad AF/AF experience with the 5D III when I rented it, at least for action. Pretty much everyshot was very outta focus on anything moving. But that could have been user error. I had sharp images on still subjects from what I remember.

But my 7D II''s give random results with still and moving subjects, in any/every way I've tried.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,367,406 views & 2,730 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.