Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 06:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composite or Not

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2014 06:45 |  #1

An interesting discussion has popped up on Facebook last night I thought I'd bring it here and see what the general consensus would be.

http://2.bp.blogspot.c​om …0/Benoit%2BCour​ti%2B8.jpg (external link)

Basically, the question was how one would shoot this. Immediately is was said to be a composite (2 or more shots combined into one) What do you all think? Composite or not and if you did shoot it either way how would you do it?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 28, 2014 06:51 |  #2

Hang the dice using black thread and superglue.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 28, 2014 07:33 |  #3

Throw the dice and take the shot. Repeat 200 times to get just the right look.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2014 07:43 as a reply to  @ tandemhearts's post |  #4

It wouldn't even take that many attempts. Lighting for every attempt would be the same as would the focusing distance and background. Once you've setup the lighting away you go.

Pretty much a controlled environment where the only variable each time is the throw. A few attempts to get the shutter button finger timing sorted and then it just comes down to getting the dice captured in a visually appealing way. Shooting on burst mode bettering the odds.

I'm not sure why people would think it was a composite though. There is nothing about the shot to me that suggest it is... now if the dice had a significant number being displayed across them e.g. 666 then I'd begin to question it. But only because of the odds involved.

Peter

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 28, 2014 08:00 |  #5

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17353905 (external link)
It wouldn't even take that many attempts.

Speak for yourself. I know my limits.:-)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2014 11:48 |  #6

doubt it is a composite.

easy to do, simpler with a trigger trap (or similar).

1) hold a dice about where you will expect them to be, focus on that point.
2) set up a trigger trap / laser at that point.
3) have model stand and hold hand where you want them.
4) drop dice from above frame
5) dice drop through trigger, and releases the shutter

rinse and repeat until you get the dice the way you want them.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 29, 2014 15:07 |  #7

Seems like it would be easiest to do as-is, rather than bothering to setup and do it as a composite, unless you wanted a specific dice formation. You might do a few dozen shots to get one you're happy with, but doesn't look like an exceptionally difficult task with flash photography.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,749 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 29, 2014 15:18 |  #8

I'm with tandemharts. The one I did below was roughly from 400 shots. I did 200 on the first attempt, and did 200 more to improve the shot. Toss dice with one hand, hit the remote shutter with the other. Repeat, seemingly endlessly.

http://grahamglover.ze​nfolio.com/img/s1/v46/​p185697672-4.jpg (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 29, 2014 20:00 |  #9

No EXIF that I can see, but I seems like it wouldn't be too difficult with an assistant, constant lighting, and a high FPS camera. The X-T1 I rented over christmas had 8FPS and essentially a limitless buffer in JPEG, so I would imagine you could have someone drop the dice from above the frame, pre-focus, and just spray and pray a couple times.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links

1,833 views & 4 likes for this thread
Composite or Not
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.