Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 13:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airport Police

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 02, 2010 18:56 |  #46

I just shoot from my front yard.

Picture (external link)

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links
JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 28, 2014 22:23 |  #47

I am looking to hang out at a parking garage of Hartsfield International Airport tomorrow for a hour or so why the wife takes the car in for service. I just sent customer service an e-mail regarding permission / policy and will hopefully receive an e-mail tomorrow morning...

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by TheFloridaShooter.

Dec 29, 2014 22:29 |  #48

LBaldwin wrote in post #9999647 (external link)
You Sir are correct. But before you accuse me of osculating with a civil servants gluteus maximus, please keep in mind that we now live a much different world. Yes you have rights, I am first to say they should not be trod upon. I am veteran, so are several members of my family going all way back to the not so Civil War. My Grandpa and Grandma are buried probably 10 minutes from right there in Birmingham. My Dad, retired US NAVY Master Chief is from Leeds, AL.

In case no one let you in on a litte secret, some nutbags decided to learn to fly well enough to crash airliners into the World Trade Center and kill 2973 folks, destroy entire businesses and untold number of lives for quite some time to come. Cops really hate that. I don't want to give away any of my rights, they are too hard to recover using blood and treasure. BUT the world is a different place now. Make your self known, call "Friendly" when it is appropriate. And learn that you can get some really neat access just by being polite and asking. Especially when it comes to airplanes.

I commend you for your service to our great country. I too am a veteran, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. The First Amendment freedom of the press pretty much sums up that photography is not a crime. As sad as September 11, 2001 was it still does not trump our Constitution. When citizens fear their government there is Tyranny, when government fears their citizens there is liberty. To be detained while taking pictures of an airplane on the ground or during flight at a airport from a public place is a violation of our First Amendment rights. It's an unlawful detention, this is clearly been decided by The United States Supreme Court.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2014 01:38 |  #49

When I arrive at an airport the first place I go is security to ask them if it is alright to stand under the flight path for my pictures.

The place I stand is visible from the control tower.

Some years ago this was not a problem.

Now that there are idiots with small laser pointers and recorded cases of them being used, any persons arriving in specific areas should expect to be checked out.

This is what I was told by airport security, this is why they are checking people out.

The last time I spoke to security they asked me what area of the strip I required access to, I just wanted outside the fence line.

A whole other world can open up when you give due respect to the people and systems in opperation at a place such as an airport.

chris001
438 posts
Gallery: 234 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 01, 2015 04:19 |  #50

at DFW airport, the airport built an observation area called Founders Plaza, they allow people to park and watch the approach and take offs from this area. They even have benches and tables for a picnic. I see lots of photographers there on my way to and from work daily. it is located at the north side of the field.

I've taken my camera on the field to take shots but I work there and have a valid airport ID. I only stay in my "company area", I don't wander around other airlines areas.

Thanks!
Chris
flickr (external link)

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2015 07:10 |  #51

wow.

you guys are commenting on a nearly 5 year old thread.

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2015 06:55 |  #52

bk2life wrote in post #17360203 (external link)
wow.

you guys are commenting on a nearly 5 year old thread.

Figured I would bump the old thread since it was relevant.

I received a response from Hartsfield airport and not only did they say it was ok, but gave a couple recommendations on where to get good pics :-D Will have the e-mail handy for future visits just in case "Top Flight" gives me or wifey a hard time :twisted:

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Jan 03, 2015 17:28 |  #53

JJD.Photography wrote in post #17363611 (external link)
Figured I would bump the old thread since it was relevant.

I received a response from Hartsfield airport and not only did they say it was ok, but gave a couple recommendations on where to get good pics :-D Will have the e-mail handy for future visits just in case "Top Flight" gives me or wifey a hard time :twisted:

i am not surprised, when you do the first "step" by asking and/or let the security knowing what you are doing / would like to do, usually if not always, they are very nice, helpful and even give you some good tips like they did for you ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 03, 2015 17:53 |  #54

My experience is that back in 1987ish, I went to O'hare for the same reason. I was picking up a friend and grabbed my LARGE video camera so I can shoot some video of the airplanes taking off and landing. Well, about 10 minutes into shooting airport security pulled up and asked me to leave. I did so without incident. They let me go with my camera and tape unharmed. That was WAY before 9/11 and they were not very receptive to video back then at an airport so I can see now how they would be a little upset over someone shooting video nowadays.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

10,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airport Police
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.