Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 25 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinion on a session with two kids.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 25, 2014 19:36 |  #1

I am always willing to photograph immediate family free of charge. My in-laws always have 1 or 2 foster children living them and I will usually photograph them so they can send pictures to distant family. Their latest foster child is asking if I can do some pictures for her (she is 13). However, she is also asking if I can get pictures of her with her "boyfriend".

Personally, I am not sure what to think of this and I am hoping I can get your input on it. The whole idea of doing a sort of "couples" picture of two 13 year old kids does not really feel ok to me. Am I being too concerned about doing this, or am I right to think that it is a little inappropriate. My first reaction was to say no, but I wanted to wait and get some input here first.

Any input/guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sponsored links
JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2014 16:46 |  #2

Bump. Hoping someone will have some input since I need to respond to my mother-in-laws email.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 26, 2014 17:01 |  #3

I'm with you -NO. I think that you're assuming that the boyfriend is also 13, which wouldn't be so bad but he could be MUCH older. Then what would you do?

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 26, 2014 17:37 |  #4

I'd also say "no". Too many ways for it to be taken wrong, be wrong, go wrong.

Pretty much. ..not with a 10 ft pole. HTH

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2014 21:06 |  #5

I know for a fact the kid is also 13. I just think it would be very odd...

sirquack
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 29, 2014 10:20 |  #6

Have you shared your thoughts with the in-laws who are allowing a 13 year old to have a boyfriend? Maybe they have an opinion that could help you make a decision.
I am not saying a 13 year old should, or should not have a boyfriend. I am just saying maybe the in-laws can share with you the situation about the boyfriend.
If it were me, I would have to have a pretty good relationship with the young lady to even consider doing the shot anyway. I would not take photos of a 13 year old that is a foster child of a friend of family member simply due to them not being true family. But that is just me.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 30, 2014 00:10 as a reply to  @ sirquack's post |  #7

I meant to come back and tell you about my conversation with my father-in-law.

So, as it turns out, they only allowed her "boyfriend" to be over this one time (the day I happened to go over and visit) since he was not able to go to her bday party. They said after that day, he is not allowed to come back over again since they do not support her having a boyfriend at her age. My father-in-law also said that bringing up the "couples shot" was just a joke and he totally agrees that something like that would be completely inappropriate.

I do pictures for the foster kids because I feel bad for them. They are often dealing with a lot of negative things and when I do the pictures for them, they are always so happy and grateful. I just enjoy seeing them so happy when I give them their pictures :).

sponsored links

2,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinion on a session with two kids.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.