Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Horrible polarizers

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lbsimon.

Dec 28, 2014 12:40 |  #1

I have been using polarizing filters for years, mostly 72mm on the 15-85. Recently I bought a 6D kit that came with a 77mm CPL. No idea what brand it was, all it said is "made in China". I put it on the Sigma 120-400. The quality went down, at 400mm it is poor. Then I remembered that many years ago when I did not have my current experience, I got a Vivitar brand CPL, probably for a UWA lens, and never used it. I put it on. It was beyond poor. It was just plain blurry, even though the AF worked.

I knew that a good quality filters is a must. In fact, all my other filters, clear or CPL, are by Hoya or B&W, and I have seen no noticeable IQ degradation. I guess I have to pay more attention to "free" stuff like filters...

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 28, 2014 12:52 |  #2

I'm often asked by friends to provide advice on camera purchases. Often they send a link to an amazon or other online retailer that includes a package of the body, lens along with filters, cleaning kit, closeup filters etc. Its difficult to make them understand that free stuff that hurts image quality isnt a god thing. Almost all of those free add ons are total junk.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 28, 2014 12:54 |  #3

Not paying over a thousand dollars on a quality lens to put on a fifty bucks cheap glass in front of it. So no filter for me thank you. :D

Just bought the 135 2.0 couple of days before the Christmas and when the salesman asked me if I wanted to get a filter? When I said no he asked why and when I told him the exact same words he looked at me like I was committing some kind of a sin lol. :lol:

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

Lbsimon
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2014 13:07 |  #4

Since there have been a lot of discussions on filters/no filters, I did test mine, and did not notice any difference. Again, they are expensive filters. In real life, though, there were cases when I had to take filters off. But I never expected crap like that to come from B&H.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 28, 2014 14:00 |  #5

I spent thousands on quality filters, i know that i don't want to lose IQ with lenses and filters to be use with, i feel lucky that i went from cheapo to expensive high quality filters and i never look back.

Well, sometimes you can get quality filters from 3rd party if you know where to find, and China is able to produce many items of high quality at lower prices if they want, for example i saw that filter comparison of 10 stop ND, and they were comparing Lee Big Stopper with Haida 10 stops ND and Hitech, and the test shows that Haida was the best out of 3 and it is cheaper than LEE, i bought LEE Big Stopper before i know about that Haida, now i bought Haida i don't know if i should sell LEE BS.

Also i bought 3 GND glass filters, they don't have a big brand name, and honestly speaking, they were expensive, but they are better than LEE and Hitech resin GND filters i have, i can imagine if LEE and Hitech have glass GND filters of same sizes and stops, they may be about double of the price than that 3rd party one.

I started to look around of big names and alternatives, and i now only go with glass filters as i know i can get the best IQ, i placed 3 glasses filters in front of my TS-E 24II and the quality was still amazing, in fact even if IQ is low but i didn't see lose in quality or sharpness and at the end i've got results i dreamed about which is the purpose of use filters.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

el5y
37 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 29, 2014 12:45 |  #6

I found this out as well. When I bought my rebel xti with kit lens I also picked up one of those DSLR starter packages with the Canon Bag, Filter and 1GB CF card so in the interest of protecting the kit glass (laugh..I know...) I put the UV Filter on right away...I thought the pictures were ok but chocked it up to my inexperience. Several months after getting the camera I had it up on a tripod and it got tipped over. Not sure if it was the dog chasing the cat, cat chasing the dog, or whatever but the front cap and filter broke. After cleaning the lens and shaking it make sure there wasn't anything broken inside I started shooting with it again and the pictures looked better than new. Those cheapo filters really kill things. Since then I've started looking around at more expensive filters. :)

5D2 w/BG, Canon 50 1.4 USM, Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM, Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM

NWPhil
440 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 30, 2014 00:58 as a reply to  @ el5y's post |  #7

a few websites people should take a look for some info

http://www.lenstip.com …arizing_filters​_test.html (external link)

http://www.lenstip.com …icle-UV_filters_test.html (external link)

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 30, 2014 01:10 as a reply to  @ el5y's post |  #8

I bought a set of the Polaroid filters when I was on a road trip, not because I buy cheap gear but it was the only thing that the store had on hand. I tend to shoot into the sun a lot, and it was instantly clear that there were major problems. It wasn't a matter of just managing flare, but rather weird purple spots all over the place.

I threw them away - it was far preferrable to shoot a bare lens than use cheap filters in this case.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,282 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 30, 2014 04:11 |  #9

Heya,

I'm pretty sure everyone has tried a cheap filter at some point.

And learned how much of a waste of time & money it is.

It just makes no sense to put low quality plastic/plexiglass/gla​ss in front of your high quality lens and expect it to be fine.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

el5y
37 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 30, 2014 12:03 |  #10

Awesome. Thanks!

5D2 w/BG, Canon 50 1.4 USM, Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM, Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM

notastockpikr
410 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 01, 2015 16:39 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #17357043 (external link)
Heya,

I'm pretty sure everyone has tried a cheap filter at some point.

And learned how much of a waste of time & money it is.

It just makes no sense to put low quality plastic/plexiglass/gla​ss in front of your high quality lens and expect it to be fine.

Very best,

I've been in photography for more than 40 years as a serious enthusiast and professional. I have never dropped a camera/lens or damaged a front element. The only filter I have ever used is a circular polarizing filter to reduce flare and reflection and to darken blue skies. I do use black filters and lens hoods regularily but never UV or protective filters.

I guess I'm missing something but, I don't understand the need for a protective filter, cheap or expensive.
Maybe I'm lucky but to spend thousands of dollars on expensive filters rather than buying a new lens doesn't make sense to me.

Lbsimon
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 01, 2015 20:10 |  #12

notastockpikr wrote in post #17360948 (external link)
I've been in photography for more than 40 years as a serious enthusiast and professional. I have never dropped a camera/lens or damaged a front element. The only filter I have ever used is a circular polarizing filter to reduce flare and reflection and to darken blue skies. I do use black filters and lens hoods regularily but never UV or protective filters.

I guess I'm missing something but, I don't understand the need for a protective filter, cheap or expensive.
Maybe I'm lucky but to spend thousands of dollars on expensive filters rather than buying a new lens doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, we were talking about bad polarizes, not protective filters. Everybody here knows about problems with cheap "protective" filters, I just did not know that polarized can have such huge negative impact on the IQ.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

notastockpikr
410 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by notastockpikr. (2 edits in all)

Jan 01, 2015 20:55 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #13

Sure thing....many of the responses were discussing filters but hey, what do I know.

AFAIK, the LensTip test on CPL's is one of the better or possible only CPL test. I use the Marumi Super DHG CPL's and found them to be very good. Smooth skies, nice colors and very thin. Reasonably priced and rated #1 by the LensTip test.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 02, 2015 00:44 |  #14

notastockpikr wrote in post #17361312 (external link)
Sure thing....many of the responses were discussing filters but hey, what do I know.

AFAIK, the LensTip test on CPL's is one of the better or possible only CPL test. I use the Marumi Super DHG CPL's and found them to be very good. Smooth skies, nice colors and very thin. Reasonably priced and rated #1 by the LensTip test.

Reasonably priced? how much it is for 82mm thread or 95mm size?

rated #1 by the LensTip test? So is it the best reference to build recommendation? and what if another link/site test gave #1 to another brand such as Hoya or B+W, who we should trust or follow? I can make a test and then pretend to give #1 to a certain name filter, honestly speaking, when 2-3 filters are very good it is really hard to put one as #1 by all tests or always, i have B+W and i always hear top high reviews about its quality, should i change that to this Marumi now because it is rated #1 from somewhere?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 02, 2015 01:10 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #17354300 (external link)
I'm often asked by friends to provide advice on camera purchases. Often they send a link to an amazon or other online retailer that includes a package of the body, lens along with filters, cleaning kit, closeup filters etc. Its difficult to make them understand that free stuff that hurts image quality isnt a god thing. Almost all of those free add ons are total junk.

My first real camera the salesman must of seen me coming.
It was a canon t3i and I didn't know anything except I wanted to go to a camera that I could change the lens on.

I got sold on this POS camera accessory kit for a 150 bucks, I tried to call the company back up so I could send their crap back to them.
They would never answer their phone.
And in the old forum I seen they had taken out a ad here in POTN.

I have kept this to myself, because I don't like bashing companies.

But If I ever meet anyone from that company they better be prepared to get their ass chewed on and there 150 bucks worth of crap they sold me tossed in there lap for free.

I will make sure everyone there knows how they stuck it to a beginner..............​.
I got a tripod in that kit that maybe a midget piss ant could use, but in no way would it support a t3i with a nifty fifty on it..........

I guess this post is out of line.

farmer

sponsored links

5,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
Horrible polarizers
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.