Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 10:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Next step confusion...

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 11, 2014 15:35 |  #16

You do know that you can buy a body without a lens, don't you?

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 11, 2014 15:43 |  #17

I have two kids and the 5d3, i've never even switched over to video on it. I take video with my iphone, it's HD, small enough not to draw the kid's attention and focuses fine most of the time. DSLR video is great, but without the added mechanics to set focus and the lens loupe it's pretty much a no go with fast moving kids. Static shots yes, but if you want to film them (eventually) running around outside you'll need a lot of patience and practice and still probably would need the mechanical focus pullers you can buy. And then you REALLY have a huge rig that will pull their attention from what ever they're doing away from what you wanted to film them doing.

With the phone (or a gopro or P&S with HD video) I sometimes just start the video and put the phone down against something on the table and walk away. Often they don't notice and I get to capture what they are doing for themselves, not for the big camera pointed at them.

Just my thoughts.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

KnightRT
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2014 16:39 |  #18

Yep. Thank for you that. I wrote a lot about how the 70D changes the game here:

http://www.amazon.com/​review/R1KOB439K3FCKA (external link)

The section on 'Live View Autofocus' might be of interest to the OP.

sa_20v
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 30, 2014 04:19 |  #19

Thanks again for all your input, in the end I opted for a 70d body (couldn't quite justify the 7d mk ii) with a 17-55mm 2.8. Happily surprised by the results thus far. :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Next step confusion...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.