Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2014 (Monday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Copyright Release Form

mdripper
104 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 15, 2014 12:56 |  #1

So i shot my cousins wedding this summer. Really laid back wedding/situation...we​'re family. Covered the day and then just gave her a USB with the processed photos and that was it. Told her if she needed help with printing or anything to let me know. Well i got a call from her the other day and she was at Walmart( not an ideal printing solution i know but it was last minute and it was convenient for them) and she said they wouldn't print her photos for her because they looked "professionally" done and that she needed a copyright release form filled out by me in order for them to print the photos for her. Kinda felt good hearing that, "professionally" done haha but has anyone else ran into this problem/situation? At first it seemed kind of annoying but i kinda respect Walmart a little more for this. Do any of you guys give photos back with a release form or what?

Sony A9 || Sony 28 f/2 || Sony 85 f/1.8 ||
XPLOR 600 || R2 Speedlights ||

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2014 13:05 |  #2

You dont want a copyright release, just grsnt printing rights. I've run into this before and ive found that this works. Just dummy up a letterhead in microsoft word with your name and contact info. Then write. I attest that I am the creator and copyright holder of the photos of (subject names) on (date) and I hearby grant unrestricted printing rights to (name) or their designated agent. If any photofinisher has any concerns please contact me at (phone number).

The faux legalese puts them at ease.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2014 13:12 |  #3

Whenever I shoot and burn images to CD/DVD for close friends or family, I include on the disk a simple 'authorization.txt' file with words to the effect of:

"The (name) family or bearer of this disk is authorized to make prints of any images on this disk for non-commercial purposes. Copyright (my name) © (month, year), (phone)"

All images have my name within the EXIF data.

Never has been an issue, and I have been doing this for over a decade.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 15, 2014 13:16 |  #4

My mother ran into this problem as have we before. Her at Walmart, me at a Walgreens. With the one my mother wanted to print we needed to get a release from the photographer to print, once we showed that they were good. With the Walgreens one I merely helped the person check the exif and pointed to my drivers license to prove I was the one who had taken the pictures myself...

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

pbt1234
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 30, 2014 11:14 |  #5

Agree with Wilt - this ensures that the person receiving the files has the right to PRINT them. Ensure that you have the copyright info updated in your camera and it will automatically be included in the EXIF data for each photo.

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 30, 2014 11:25 |  #6

I gave a friend a series of street/abstracts as digital copies a while back and he had the same issue. However all he had to do was copy me in to the email he got from the printer and I replied in the email that I had granted single use ( i.e. one print of each image ).

I was happy that the printer actually did this ( I totally forgot to include a document to cover it ) and after seeing the prints have sent some business his way too.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Copyright Release Form
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.