Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website Critique

koolcreation
649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by koolcreation.

Dec 23, 2014 15:36 |  #1

So I've been doing an overhaul to my website. www.KoolC.com (external link)

Let me know what you think of the site. Currently I'm working on my about me & pricing. How do you guys feel about having pricing on your website yay or nay?

Thanks,

Edit: I noticed I have duplicate photos in certain albums.

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,815 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2014 16:47 |  #2

First thing to do is have more information. Your about page is just a photo (assume of you.) That is interesting, but the very first thing I want to see when I go to a photographer's website is where are they located. From your website, it appears you are in Houston. A potential customer should not have to search for where you are. It should be obvious.

If you are a full time photographer, which it appears possible, list a business telephone number at least. Younger people are used to contacting people by email, but older people want to contact someone in person or by phone at least for the first time. To me no phone number also means the business owner has another job and this is just their part time job. You may lose jobs from people just because they would assume you are not available except after hours, weekends, etc.

Your blog needs more writing. As it is now it's not really a blog, it is just another type of gallery. Photo blogs would be fine if you didn't already have several galleries, but as it is now when customers click on it, they will expect to read about your photographic endeavors, not just see more photos.

Other than that, the photos are great. On the home page, a couple appear in two pictures one after the other. I would suggest only one photo of that couple on the homepage. Seeing them twice looks like you don't have a large selection of photos to pick from in making the home page. In my opinion, that makes it look like you are just starting. But, you have a varied enough gallery that does not appear to be the case. The home page may be the only page a client may look at, so it should be the most important page on your web page. Also, if you can, try to move up the photos by getting rid of the dead white space.

Philip

koolcreation
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 26, 2014 19:27 |  #3

Thanks for the critique I really appreciate it.

Flickr (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 27, 2014 19:42 |  #4

I sent you a PM but I'll repeat this for effect. A lot of people believe the picture is enough, that they don't have to sell themselves. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pictures are important but your pitch, what you have to say is more important.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 27, 2014 21:04 |  #5

Do you actually sell stuff or is the website just for display?

Not one call to action. No explanation about your services. Not even any information about you.

If you are a business the primary function of your website should be to generate sales/leads. There is nothing on the content of your website that suggests you actually sell anything.

It is almost as if someone came along and removed all textual content from a website and just left pictures up.

If you want to be treated like a business selling things you need to appear like a business selling things.

Peter

koolcreation
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 29, 2014 09:15 |  #6

Started as just a display, now slowly moving into selling my services. The about me I took down to re-do it, I felt like it didn't represent me well. I probably should have posted the new one before asking for critique lol.

Thanks again for the critique and help.

Flickr (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 30, 2014 18:35 |  #7

The cartoon of a camera front and center doesn't paint a professional image. I think any camera or lens part should not be part of a photography website or business card. Your about section also paints you as just a guy "with a cool camera".

You want your images to be what people think of you not your gear. Any mention of photo gear paints you as amateur.

koolcreation
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 02, 2015 08:50 |  #8

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17358126 (external link)
The cartoon of a camera front and center doesn't paint a professional image. I think any camera or lens part should not be part of a photography website or business card. Your about section also paints you as just a guy "with a cool camera".

You want your images to be what people think of you not your gear. Any mention of photo gear paints you as amateur.

So you thinking I should change my logo?

Flickr (external link)

Nogo
7,815 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 02, 2015 12:45 |  #9

koolcreation wrote in post #17361982 (external link)
So you thinking I should change my logo?

I'm not the one who suggested it, but.....
Viewing the web page on a laptop the Logo looks fine. Right now I am on a smartphone, it is just plain bad. When I clicked on the link my whole screen was taken up by the cartoon.

Philip

koolcreation
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 02, 2015 13:17 |  #10

I wonder is there a way I can change it. I've been looking in the settings on Square Space and can't find anything.

Flickr (external link)

Nogo
7,815 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 02, 2015 13:39 |  #11

koolcreation wrote in post #17362365 (external link)
I wonder is there a way I can change it. I've been looking in the settings on Square Space and can't find anything.

Can you edit the HTML and CSS directly?

If not some webpages let you add coding through the headers. Doing that you don't change the coding, you are just overriding it. Not the best way to do it, but with some systems that is what you have to do to make it work.

Philip

koolcreation
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 07, 2015 07:54 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #12

Looking into that today. The mobile view was enabled on squarespace. With the template I'm using if your viewing from a phone it take that logo image and places smack in the middle. Currently I have it disabled testing a few things.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,714 views & 1 like for this thread
Website Critique
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.