Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Outdoor usage tips when temp is right around freezing and need to remove gear from bag frequently

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by s2kdriver80.

Dec 30, 2014 17:57 |  #1

I'll be shooting all day with my Canons (outdoors only) in the city tomorrow where the temps should range from 27F - 34F throughout the day, in other words, a few degrees either way from freezing. When entering a warm house from a freezing environment, it's not a bad idea to seal gear in giant Ziploc bags that are cold as well before entering to prevent condensation inside the equipment.

I'll be removing my cameras in and out of my camera shoulder bag very frequently while walking around the city. If the outside temp is say 30F and the inside of the bag is a couple of degrees north of freezing, is this something to worry about? Obviously, ziploc'ing all gear before re-entry into the bag every few minutes is impractical and the Ziploc bags would also need to be out of the camera bag in freezing temps as well to be effective.

A non-issue? Thanks!

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 30, 2014 18:15 |  #2

s2kdriver80 wrote in post #17358077 (external link)
I'll be shooting all day with my Canons (outdoors only) in the city tomorrow where the temps should range from 27F - 34F throughout the day, in other words, a few degrees either way from freezing. When entering a warm house from a freezing environment, it's not a bad idea to seal gear in giant Ziploc bags that are cold as well before entering to prevent condensation inside the equipment.

I'll be removing my cameras in and out of my camera shoulder bag very frequently while walking around the city. If the outside temp is say 30F and the inside of the bag is a couple of degrees north of freezing, is this something to worry about? Obviously, ziploc'ing all gear before re-entry into the bag every few minutes is impractical and the Ziploc bags would also need to be out of the camera bag in freezing temps as well to be effective.

A non-issue? Thanks!

It has to do with the dew point of the air, and little to do with whether it is "freezing", or the temperature of the bag.

But more simply, as long as the camera is slightly warmer than the air it's in, water won't condense on it.

Just observe. If it gets wet like a glass of cool beer on a summer day, you have a problem. If it stays dry, you are OK.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

RodS57
888 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 30, 2014 18:22 |  #3

A non-issue? Thanks!

I think more than the temperature is involved here. If it is sunny and your camera bag is black or another dark color then it will stay warm inside the bag. I've been out for hours when temps are around 0F; take out the camera to shoot then put it back in the bag. As the camera is warmer than the surrounding air there is no condensation. I don't use any special precautions (ie no plastic bags). When I get home I leave the camera in the bag until things warm up. Haven't seen any condensation as a result.

Of course the above applies to a cold sunny day. Snow/rain, not sure. I wouldn't think locking a wet camera inside a plastic bag would be a good idea. How can it dry out?

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2014 18:25 |  #4

Yeah, Archibald covered it.

Cold air is dry air. So if you take a hot camera into the cold, no worries. And working with a cold camera in cold air....no problem if you want to take it in and out of a cold bag. That's a big nothing from the viewpoint of the camera.

The only thing your camera does not like is when it is cold, and then brought into a warm environment. Because warm air is wet air, even with moderate relative humidity. So your iceberg of a camera will soon have water sweating out on it, just like a cold glass of icewater on a summer day.

That's why your generally want to bring your cold gear inside in a bag and leave it there, with the cold, dry air trapped in the bag with the camera. Everything can warm up surrounded by that dry air, and then you are all set.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,857 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2014 18:29 |  #5

If the outside temp is say 30F and the inside of the bag is a couple of degrees north of freezing, is this something to worry about?

no.

I just checked the weather for a shoot this coming sunday morning. It is supposed to be cold and rainy. Low of 30 that night. I will either put my gear (minus batteries) in the truck for the evening, or get up a couple of hours early and put them out there to get to ambient temps. Once on site all gear will be in and out of the bag and truck for the next 6 hours or so, not a problem.

fwiw, i dont' use plastic bags either. Just keep the camera bag zipped up for a couple of hours after getting back home to keep warm moist air from circulating around it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 30, 2014 18:38 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17358116 (external link)
no.

I just checked the weather for a shoot this coming sunday morning. It is supposed to be cold and rainy. Low of 30 that night. I will either put my gear (minus batteries) in the truck for the evening, or get up a couple of hours early and put them out there to get to ambient temps. Once on site all gear will be in and out of the bag and truck for the next 6 hours or so, not a problem.

fwiw, i dont' use plastic bags either. Just keep the camera bag zipped up for a couple of hours to keep warm moist air from circulating around it.

It's not a good idea to leave your gear outside overnight. Depending on what exactly happens to the temperatures and humidity, water could get on and in the camera. Plus, there is no advantage to having a cool camera in cool weather. (OK, unless you are doing astrophotography, but that is another topic.)

Just always keep the camera slightly warmer than the dew point. If it is warmer than the surrounding air, then it is above the dew point. (It is also possible for it to be cooler than the surrounding air and still be above the dew point.)

If you can't keep the camera above the dew point, then that's when you put it into a plastic bag to keep the wet air away from it until the gear has warmed up.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,310 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 30, 2014 19:10 |  #7

Warm to cold is never the problem and once cold, you can stay out all day without issue other than your batteries loose a bit of their potential to deliver current when cold so a spare kept close to your body to keep it warm is a good idea. Once cold you need not do anything special to the camera and lenses. The problem as mentioned is coming in from the cold to a warm moist room. Water will condense and once condensed, it takes quite some time to dry out.

I have found that Ziploc bags are wonderful to combat the condensation as it keeps the moist air off the gear when coming inside. Allow the camera to warm up a bit, at least to above the dew point before removing and no condensation. Another thing I have done and it works great at the zoo in the winter where you are in and out of warm moist buildings all day long is to place one of those chemical hand warmers into the Ziploc. Instead of taking 20~30 minutes to warm up, the camera warms up in less than 5 minutes.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

888 views & 1 like for this thread
Outdoor usage tips when temp is right around freezing and need to remove gear from bag frequently
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.