Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Big Island Lava Flow

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by Ron Bailey.

Dec 30, 2014 20:19 |  #1

The lava flow a few miles down the road has stalled and is getting wider, little by little. I'm not anticipating that the lava will cross the main highway, but if it does....I give this part of the Island about 3-5 years and it will be covered in about 60-70' of lava. This part of old Hawaii will be gone.

As it stands, the 'vog' from the lava flow is pretty nasty. Not that you can always see the smoke, etc in the air where we live, but you can feel it. The particulates in the air can be deadly. Right now it is making most of us very, very fatigued. If it does continue, I will have to leave the island before the rest of the gang.

The vog is deadly to those of us with heart disease and I can attest to that 100%. Always fatigued, drowsy, short of breath, chest pain....dang. Looks like our stay on the Big Island is drawing to a close sooner than we thought.

Went up to 'the dump', which is the transfer station in Pahoa. The transfer station is where you take your trash that is then toted off of the island and disposed of....Honolulu, I think.

The lens used was a Canon 100-400mm IS L I mounted on a Canon 5DII. The shots are handheld thanks to one of my tripod legs being gummed up with marble dust. Need to fix that today.

The shots are behind the leading edge of the stalled flow. The lava continues to flow underneath the hardened crust, building up higher and higher. In the old flows from Kalapana and Kapoho, the lava is 60-70' thick in areas. Again, if this continues, this is what this entire Puna District will look like in a few years.

The images are not meant to be award winning, just informative.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2014 20:21 |  #2

You can see how it builds higher and higher.

HOSTED PHOTO

NManuel01
756 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 31, 2014 00:22 |  #3

That's lnsane. Do you have any more pictures?

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 31, 2014 00:30 |  #4

Nice documentation, thanks for posting.

Lupo

Lyn2011
721 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 31, 2014 00:38 |  #5

That looks terrible, sorry for you Hawaiians

Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 31, 2014 00:50 |  #6

I'll be capturing images every day and will post updates in this thread.

The flow is very slow moving, which is a good thing, and it may just stop completely, which is a better thing. If not, it will continue for many miles until it reaches the ocean. After that, if it did continue, it would widen out until it engulfed this part of the Island. That is the worse case scenario.

In the meantime, I'll be documenting as much of this part of 'Old Hawaii' as I can. Just in case.

Thanks gang.

Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 31, 2014 00:52 |  #7

A friend of mine said that the lava reminded him of bodies. I thought the same thing when I was shooting.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 31, 2014 00:53 |  #8

Another view.

HOSTED PHOTO

tandemhearts
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 31, 2014 06:21 |  #9

Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite vacations included going to the Big Island to watch the lava flow into the sea before dawn. It's sobering to remember this the fate of everything; it just happens faster there.

Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 01, 2015 17:51 |  #10

You are welcome. Yes, if the flow continues and comes over the 'ridge', this entire portion of the island will be covered with lava within the next 3-5 years. Then again, it could stop tomorrow.

ddd778
35 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 02, 2015 05:50 |  #11

Thanks for sharing, looks beautiful!

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 02, 2015 06:19 |  #12

Ron Bailey wrote in post #17358499 (external link)
A friend of mine said that the lava reminded him of bodies. I thought the same thing when I was shooting.

I love this as an abstract.

My photography mentor has been to Hawaii many times and told me a story about lava. I dont remember which island it was on (I never been to HI) but he said there was a town in the mountains and most of it was taken by lava and only a few blocks of town remained. Everyone evacuated and left except for one eccentric guy who lives there by himself. He has an old Ford Pinto and once a year he goes out of town to get more fuel & supplies.

With lava in the arsenal of Mother Nature there is not much can be done in some places. It's a matter of time but it will eventually creep up to you.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Dave ­ R.
275 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 02, 2015 06:44 |  #13

dkizzle wrote in post #17361818 (external link)
I love this as an abstract.

My photography mentor has been to Hawaii many times and told me a story about lava. I dont remember which island it was on (I never been to HI) but he said there was a town in the mountains and most of it was taken by lava and only a few blocks of town remained. Everyone evacuated and left except for one eccentric guy who lives there by himself. He has an old Ford Pinto and once a year he goes out of town to get more fuel & supplies.

With lava in the arsenal of Mother Nature there is not much can be done in some places. It's a matter of time but it will eventually creep up to you.

The neighborhood you refer to is on the big island. While there a couple years or so ago I took a helicopter tour of the area and flew over this site. You can still see some remnants of the streets and the one remaining house with solidified lava flow surrounding it. No power or water any longer and it is correct that the person(s) that still live there hike out when needed to their car and drive to town (Hilo) for supplies. I highly recommend that anyone going to the big island consider a helicopter tour of the area. Very interesting and beautiful.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,213 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 02, 2015 10:24 |  #14

These are amazing images. My first thought was also of "seeing" images of people in the lava. The first one being right next to the sign! There's no controlling Mother Nature, that's for certain.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Ron ­ Bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2015 13:03 |  #15

Thanks gang, much appreciated.

The fellow who lived in the last house was burned out over a year ago. The lava finally caught up with and he had to escape by helicopter. The area is Royal Gardens, which you can see in the graphic in this post. We live in Leilani and are 'safe' for now.

The ridge I spoke about can be seen as the very red line in the lava flow. It is actually a large fissure that has opened up and is on the other side of the ridge.

I've also include a link to the Hawaii Civil Defense page in case anyone wanted to follow the flow, etc.

http://www.hawaiicount​y.gov/active-alerts/ (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

6,129 views & 1 like for this thread
Big Island Lava Flow
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.