Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 06:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time with a model...

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 31, 2014 06:49 |  #1

I'm thinking about working with a model to augment my presentations, i.e. model facing front but pointing to her left. In Powerpoint, the person would then be pointing at the first item in a list, and so on.

As far as the whole model thing goes, I have many questions.

What is a reasonable hourly rate for a model? I might go for some sort of TFP arrangement, unless models are cheap enough.

What are the better ways to find a legitimate model?

Thanks

Jim

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

sponsored links
dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 31, 2014 11:39 |  #2

If I am understanding correctly you want someone to help you physically while you do PPT presentation, not to take a picture of a model and place the image within a PPT presentation itself. In that case the person does not have to be a model, just someone attractive enough to be eye candy for your presentation that can point to the PPT presentation on the big screen.

I think for this type of work $20/hour would be a lot in Iowa. You can try ModelMayhem for more established models and it doesnt hurt to try posting a free ad on Craigslist. In both places you can find TFP & cheap hourly rates. I would post an ad on CL for TFP and see who bites. While you wait for some action you can browse thru existing models on MM and see if they will accept TFP and/or maybe someone has the look that you want and you will pay hourly.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 31, 2014 12:26 as a reply to  @ dkizzle's post |  #3

The plan is to take pictures of the model for use inside the powerpoint presentation. I'll take a look at ModelMayhem for local talent.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 31, 2014 14:37 |  #4

If your just looking for a model in a simple shirt and pants/skirt and only need poses of her pointing at a few different angles your probably going to look at around $50. Unless your offering some head shots or something TFP they will want to make it worth their time plus gas money.

A lot of models have minimum rate because $20 for an hour when they have a 1/2 hour each way commute isn't necessarily worth their time.

As dkizzle said model mayhem is good place to start. If you post that your paying in the subject line of your emails you will get a lot more responses vs. TFP emails.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 02, 2015 06:06 |  #5

Now since I have a clear picture of what you want I want to suggest CL again. Since its a very simple job you should be able to get someone for free for TFP. It's free to post an ad and you can explain that its a very simple job and that you will provide the model with copies of the pictures from the shoot. Ask models to bring 3 different outfits and you will be able to take more pictures for your PPT use as well as to offer to them as TFP compensation. It can be a big time saver when you post a free ad that takes you 5 mins and you wait for those that are interested to contact you. Going to MM and to look thru dozens of profiles and to contact some of them offering your TFP will be time consuming and in my opinion should be done as a secondary step.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2015 12:14 |  #6

You'll have no problem finding a model for free/tfp.

You might have a problem finding a GOOD model on Craiglist for free/tfp.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 02, 2015 17:46 |  #7

nathancarter wrote in post #17362283 (external link)
You'll have no problem finding a model for free/tfp.

You might have a problem finding a GOOD model on Craiglist for free/tfp.

if you're looking for portrait practice then the difference between GOOD and BAD models may not matter much

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2015 18:50 |  #8

watt100 wrote in post #17362800 (external link)
if you're looking for portrait practice then the difference between GOOD and BAD models may not matter much

It's true, this is for practice and to support my day job activities. I'll be happy if the model doesn't give my address to a gangster. Along those lines, is it a bad idea to do this at home?

Jim, in Iowa

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2015 11:02 |  #9

watt100 wrote in post #17362800 (external link)

From the first post, I didn't think he was looking for portrait practice - I thought he was looking for a professional-looking model to enhance a presentation.

A free craiglist-quality "model" might show up in rumpled, ill-fitting clothing, poorly done makeup & hair, and outdated styling - not what I would want to put in a professional presentation. Sure, you can practice your portrait techniques, but the end results still might not be useful.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 05, 2015 18:06 |  #10

nathancarter wrote in post #17367279 (external link)
From the first post, I didn't think he was looking for portrait practice - I thought he was looking for a professional-looking model to enhance a presentation.

A free craiglist-quality "model" might show up in rumpled, ill-fitting clothing, poorly done makeup & hair, and outdated styling - not what I would want to put in a professional presentation. Sure, you can practice your portrait techniques, but the end results still might not be useful.

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Portrait practice, with the output being some graphics for my presentations. The model you are describing is definitely not what I'm after though.

I'm in the process of registering with ModelMayhem. They have a few listings in my area, so I'll give that a try.

Jim, in Iowa

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 07, 2015 09:30 |  #11

I'm trying to visualize how it would look to have a photo of a person placed into a power point presentation just to point at the bullet points? Why not just have each bullt point slide in with each mouse click? To me it would look completely cheesy to have a picture of someone pointing at what I am being shown. (almost game show like) In fact, you often want less, not more on a slide so that they listen to you instead of focusing on the slide and not hearing your words.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 07, 2015 16:48 |  #12

Give CL a try as well, it is free and I have had some great "models" come from there. Honestly I have only had 2 models that kind of sucked and they both came from MM.

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2015 20:46 |  #13

mikeinctown wrote in post #17370537 (external link)
I'm trying to visualize how it would look to have a photo of a person placed into a power point presentation just to point at the bullet points? Why not just have each bullt point slide in with each mouse click? To me it would look completely cheesy to have a picture of someone pointing at what I am being shown. (almost game show like) In fact, you often want less, not more on a slide so that they listen to you instead of focusing on the slide and not hearing your words.

I add a voiceover and turn it into a movie. Kind of like adobe captivate. You're right though , a little can go a long way.

Jim, in Iowa

sponsored links

2,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time with a model...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.