Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 21:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Eos Rebel T5 good for professional photography?

jessiekins
68 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by jessiekins.

Dec 31, 2014 21:56 |  #1

I recently purchased the Canon EOS Rebel T5.

I noticed many professional, seasoned photographers use the Canon 7D Mark II. I was wondering if this camera would be a good camera to use for professional photography, with 2-3 lens?

Jessica Rose

sponsored links
LevelPebble
62 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 31, 2014 23:46 |  #2

This question should be in the Canon EOS Digital camera forum to get some better answers. I replied in your other thread, but I think the T5i is more than adequate.

You need to master the fundamentals using a camera like that before being overwhelmed with a camera with more features and settings.

I am the track photographer for a local auto racing track, and still use a T1i which was the entry level digital Canon EOS Rebel series. I have made a lot of progress so far and learn something every week. One day I would like to upgrade my camera body, but for now I am getting great shots that the racers really like.

Motorsports Photographer for ARCA at Flat Rock/Toledo Speedway

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2015 00:47 |  #3

No its not suitable for professional photography. Its an entry level dslr, capsble of great images but intentionally limited in certain ways. The 7DII is not really a professional camera either but its much closer. Why do you care as a beginner about professional photography?

davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2015 01:33 |  #4

Image quality between a 7D and the T5 is not going to be noticeable at ISO 100. You might be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 5D shot and a T5 shot unless printed to a large size.

A good camera is whatever works for you. What separates a professional photo from an amateur photo has more to do with knowledge of lighting and shooting techniques than the camera itself. Lens quality is also more important than camera quality.

...a good camera to use for professional photography, with 2-3 lens?

Portraits? Motor Sports? Food? Landscape?

What 2-3 lenses?

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)
My Gear--> Facebook (external link)

davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2015 06:35 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #17360003 (external link)
No its not suitable for professional photography.

Cameras do not take professional photographs. Professional photographers taken professional photographs. I have completed several paid jobs with a refurbished Canon 60D, same sensor as the T5. Hence, I took professional photographs with it.

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 01, 2015 07:56 |  #6

To clarify.... Jessica, did you buy a Rebel T5 or a T5i? Which kit lens came with your camera?

At least that way, we will all be on the same page as to what you have now.

For the second question: do you have enough money to upgrade to a 7D2? They are just under $2000. That's a pretty big jump from what you have now. Add in the 2 or 3 quality lenses you mentioned, and the price gets up there.

One of the questions that are asked quite often: what do you plan on shooting? You might consider exploring the lenses needed to take great photographs of the things that interest you the most and go from there.... Upgrade the camera body later.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2015 08:02 as a reply to  @ davebreal's post |  #7

The T5 has an inferior focusing system, small buffer, one can take a photo that they could sell but that doesnt make it professional grade gear.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2015 08:47 |  #8

Professionalism has very little to do with the equipment you use, it is to do with the ability of the photographer.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

ukfalc
96 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2015 10:41 |  #9

You can get fantastic quality photographs using "pro" lenses on an entry level DSLR.

However, the T5 has a low frame rate, which will be very limiting if you are in to sports/birds/wildlife photography. You can still get nice shots with it, but it becomes more hit and miss in term of whether it takes shots at the precise moment you want.

The 7dii is aimed at sports/wildlife enthusiasts, with a much higher frame rate and Very high spec autofocus system for tracking moving objects. Those features will make a big difference if you are intending to shoot birds in flight, but will be of little use if you are going to be photographing portraits and landscapes.

Canon 5D Mk IV; Canon 7D Mk II.
EF 16-35mm F2.8 L II USM; EF 24-70mm F2.8 L II USM; EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L IS USM; EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS L II USM.
http://www.alan-evans-photography.com (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 01, 2015 10:44 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

davebreal wrote in post #17360191 (external link)
Cameras do not take professional photographs. Professional photographers taken professional photographs. I have completed several paid jobs with a refurbished Canon 60D, same sensor as the T5. Hence, I took professional photographs with it.

john crossley wrote in post #17360269 (external link)
Professionalism has very little to do with the equipment you use, it is to do with the ability of the photographer.

These, most certainly, are the best answers to the question asked. I think the other responders asked the question intended.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

LevelPebble
62 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by LevelPebble.

Jan 01, 2015 11:02 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #11

I can buy a great set of pots and pans, but that hardly makes me a good chef. ;-)a

Motorsports Photographer for ARCA at Flat Rock/Toledo Speedway

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 01, 2015 11:14 |  #12

Let me reinforce the above comments, except one. It's the person using the camera that has to be or become a professional. A real professional can take great images with any image-making equipment that falls into his or her hands. A doofus with a $35000 digital Hasselblad will still be making OOF, shaky, badly framed snapshots.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2015 11:33 |  #13

Of course the skills are important, but you guys are being disingenuous is you really believe the T5 is up to the rigors of actual professional photography. I'm nog talking about the mom with a camera who sells an occasional print, but professional photography on a regular basis.

davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by davebreal.

Jan 01, 2015 11:49 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17360520 (external link)
Of course the skills are important, but you guys are being disingenuous is you really believe the T5 is up to the rigors of actual professional photography. I'm nog talking about the mom with a camera who sells an occasional print, but professional photography on a regular basis.

Define "professional photography". Are we talking about shooting the olympics, or shooting still lifes of food for high end restaurants. The T5 (1200D) has a shutter rated for 100,00 actuations. I paid ~$50 for mine after rebate.

Attached is a panning wildlife shot I took outdoors yesterday with my T5, and the Tamron 16-300mm PZD VC. You can ignore the silly captioning and take a look at the image quality. Also note that the T5 can record 1080p video, although the lack of external mic input is a bummer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If I was going to shoot the Olympics or the US Open, I'd want a 1DX and maybe a 7D II as backup. If I wanted to run a portrait studio I might want the 5D3. If I wanted to do product photography, travel assignments, or basic flash portraiture I have no problem using an entry-level Rebel. In fact, the T5 is coming with me as my walk-around lens for the Everglades in a few days.

Dave

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,323 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 01, 2015 11:58 |  #15

I have to say that I am almost always in agreement with Gonzogolf. So I was taken aback when I read his first comment. I disagreed with it. For example, a professional who does only studio work could do very well with a T5i. On the other hand, you wouldn't want it to be your primary camera if you were photographing combat in Syria. I think the problem is with the word "professional". It's basically a person who makes a living as a photographer. A better question would be: can the T5i produce photos that draw the admiration of others? The answer is yes, in most circumstances. But it wouldn't last long in combat, storms at sea, earthquakes, volcanoes, sand storms, and overly sensitive mothers of the bride.

As others have noted, the camera is secondary to the skills of the photographer, which are more likely to keep you in the good graces of mothers of the bride than your camera.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

12,628 views & 7 likes for this thread
Canon Eos Rebel T5 good for professional photography?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.