Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How badly is 'vibration control' needed?

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 01, 2015 12:39 |  #1

I'm soon buying a Canon or Nikon full frame. I like the Canon & Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lenses, but they have no vibration control. Tamron's similar lens does have 'VR', but glass is said to be not as good, and image quality is important to me.
I do mostly candid, hand held shots, have a 'steady' hand, but need advice. Would it be smart to invest in a Canon or Nikon lens for my purpose, or would hand held be risky out at 70mm zoom?
Thanks

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

sponsored links
Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 01, 2015 13:45 |  #2

Most if not all lens manufacturers provide some lenses with vibration dampening abilities but they might call it different things. Canon lenses with image stabilization are designated IS. I believe Nikon tags theirs VR. Whether or not you need image stabilization depends on your steadiness, the lens focal length, and your shutter speed among other things. Image stabilization does come in handy with a long lens and makes a difference when shooting handheld. Manufacturers are now adding image stabilization to wide angel lenses so you may see fewer and fewer lenses without some form of lens stabilization in the future.

Joe
5DIII

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by travisvwright.

Jan 01, 2015 13:52 |  #3

It is important if you are wanting to use a shutter speed so slow that your image would have camera shake. If you are doing candids (so moving people) you aren't likely to want a shutter speed that slow. If you are doing still photography it can be very badly needed. At 70mm, with a steady hand even 1/100 (which is going to have some subject movement if they aren't trying to be still) is fast enough to make IS unnecessary.

That's my opinion on the matter. I have one IS lens and it's what came in the 70D kit and I've found it only useful when doing hand held video.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 01, 2015 13:56 |  #4

Providing that your shutter speed is high enough, camera shake shouldn't be a problem. For example, a shutter speed of 1/30th sec or higher would be ok at 24mm, but you might have to aim for 1/80th sec or higher at 70mm to avoid any shake. Some people can handhold a camera at very low shutter speeds & still get good clear shots.

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2015 14:29 |  #5

You'll be fine in almost all applications with a 24-70 f2.8 on current full-frame. If you do end up taking photos in darker environments, you might be better off with a prime in those instances.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2015 15:11 |  #6

You don't need Image Stabilisation, it's good to have, but you don't need it.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 01, 2015 18:12 |  #7

'Need' is relative. I have proven in the past on POTN with photos that even with a very wide angle like 17mm on APS-C, it is possible to hand hold as slow as about 1/6 without visible degredation due to camera shake. So IS/VC is not merely 'for telephoto'!
Unfortunately the AMASS Search tool does not yield results for posts created in the prior incarnation of POTN, so I cannot find the prior link.

Here is the illustration that was previously used. One row of shots is without IS, the other row is with IS. At the left is 1/25, then 1/12, then 1/6, lastly on the right is 1/3 shutter speed

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/17mmIS.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

trailguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 01, 2015 18:38 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #8

I feel a bit foolish here, for I just realized I can try my Canon 2.8, 17-55, and F4 L series 70-200, with IS off, and see how I do!
After reading the advice, I'd probably buy the brand lens anyway because of better glass.
Thanks

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

EchoShotz
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jan 01, 2015 19:10 |  #9

Also, with a FF, you can crank the ISOs up without fear of bad noise and achieve higher shutter speeds that way

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 01, 2015 20:32 |  #10

If I'm taking a very low light pic of something still, I will use a tripod.

If I'm taking a pic of a live subject I will need a relatively fast SS anyway.

The last two lenses I've bought (sigma 35A and tokina 16-28) don't have IS/VC and frankly wasn't even a consideration in my purchase. I need a 50 prime and feel the same with it. Ditto my 85.

I do really like it with the 70-200 though. I'm often at 150-200mm and 1/125-1/200 SS. While that is technically okay, I'm certain many shots have been saved because of IS.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 02, 2015 03:38 |  #11

I'm sure that image stabilization has 'saved' more than a few pictures for me.

However, at this point I have a high-ISO capable camera with little noise and 3 of my 4 lenses (all Canon Ls) do not have IS. So, I've learned to shoot with higher shutter speeds in low light, but more to 'stop action' of the church choir, or various individuals at church events.

Yes, I'd like to have IS on all my lenses, as I've learned growing old (I'm Medicare age), my hands aren't as steady as they were in the film-shooting days of my 20s and 30s. I regularly lean against the wall or use a monopod for extra camera stability when I need to shoot with a shutter speed slower than 1/160th.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Jan 02, 2015 04:43 |  #12

trailguy wrote in post #17361157 (external link)
I feel a bit foolish here, for I just realized I can try my Canon 2.8, 17-55, and F4 L series 70-200, with IS off, and see how I do!
After reading the advice, I'd probably buy the brand lens anyway because of better glass.
Thanks

This one is an urban legend / wrong believing !
Just to compare the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 with the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 here (mouse over the picture to see the Tamron) >> http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

And this Tamron has by far, very-very far, better glasses than your Canon 2.8 17-55 when i am looking here >> http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

Just my 2 cents

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

TerminalCity
237 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 02, 2015 05:07 |  #13

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17361763 (external link)
This one is an urban legend / wrong believing !
And this Tamron has by far, very-very far, better glasses than your Canon 2.8 17-55 when i am looking here >> http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

Just my 2 cents

You do realise this comparison has a 50D with the EF-S 17-55 lens and a 1DS III with the Tamron? Might be more useful comparing the Canon 24-70 f/2.8II instead on the same camera format, link (external link).

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog with reason 'Link repair'. (3 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2015 06:01 |  #14

TerminalCity wrote in post #17361775 (external link)
You do realise this comparison has a 50D with the EF-S 17-55 lens and a 1DS III with the Tamron? Might be more useful comparing the Canon 24-70 f/2.8II instead on the same camera format, link (external link).

The sensor have nothing to do here specially with this big difference of quality !
just stop down the test by 2 stop (like f/5.6) and you will see the quality of the picture increasing, becoming more sharp and equaling the other lens in the center, so it come from the lens not from the sensor !

Interesting also how you forget to mention that the 1st test is made with the D3x for the Nikkor ... where the Tamron, again, is better ...

Now comparing with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, my bad, in fact i was giving my 2 cents, ( so now it will be 3 cents ... )
And Tamron looks better at wide angle, less on telephoto ... a duce in quality ? but Tamron is half priced and have stabilization >
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2015 19:10 |  #15

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17361805 (external link)
The sensor have nothing to do here specially with this big difference of quality !

Unfortunately this statement is untrue. The same lens on FF and APS-C, both with 15MPixel sensors, will result in greater total lines of detail in the image with the larger sensor. Photozone.de has tests results of Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II lens that shows this!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,982 views & 1 like for this thread
How badly is 'vibration control' needed?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.