Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fat? Overcooked?

Qveon
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 30, 2014 15:14 |  #1

I just editing one to, in my opinion, quite flattering, but the person in the pictures thinks they are fat and overcooked. First is the original, 2nd is my edit...LMK what you think:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 30, 2014 15:19 |  #2

It seems that everybody thinks that photographs make them look fat. I think you have the right idea in not having a full on face pose, which accentuates the problem. But a slightly more oblique pose might make her happier. Two other things come to mind. One is that it's a tight crop on her face. That can make the image slightly overwhelming. Perhaps your subject was influenced by these factors. More seriously, while the original is somewhat muted in tone, your post processing stabs me in the eye. Far too much contrast and saturation. Sje almost looks scary. I suspect that's what she meant by it being overcooked. Tone it down a little.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 30, 2014 15:25 |  #3

I agree with the customer. You've managed to make her look fatter and over processed. Overdoing the skin smoothing on the lower half of her face is what makes her look fatter.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2014 15:44 |  #4

Honestly I probably wouldn't be happy either. You might consider a processing that looks more natural.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Qveon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 30, 2014 21:19 |  #5

Oh ok now that you motion it when I look at it on my tablet. lol new computer setup and I guess my screen isn't calibrated very well... Tight crop to remove her ex bf out of the picture. It was just something I scraped up.

Islesfan91
106 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 30, 2014 21:55 |  #6

Removing all the lines on her face actually makes it look like her face is fatter. It also doesn't look normal, or flattering, it just looks wrong. My two cents, probably worth less than that as well lol

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
canon 6d w/Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC & canon 70-200 F4L IS
olympus om-d e-m1 w/12-40 F2.8 Pro

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 31, 2014 14:40 |  #7

Your edit in no way compliments the young lady, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should.
Take that RAW image, it was RAW wasn't it, and reprocess it...being subtle on this go-around.

And, FWIW, when your finished, crop a little bit wide, then reduce the image width 5-10% and re-crop to desired size.
That simple width-reduction is a very effective technique to give the appearance of a thinner, more comely lass.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,814 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 31, 2014 14:44 |  #8

Round face, needs different lighting (short) and she needs different pose (at least stick her forehead and chin out).

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 01, 2015 20:53 |  #9

By smoothening out her skin you did make her face look fat. Try viewing with independent eyes.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,586 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2015 14:45 |  #10

windpig wrote in post #17359392 (external link)
Round face, needs different lighting (short) and she needs different pose (at least stick her forehead and chin out).

exactly this ^

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

upstatephoto
51 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by upstatephoto.

Jan 05, 2015 13:56 |  #11

I think her comment of looking fat comes from how wide her head appears because of the tonal values in her skin and hair being similiar. Your mind registers this as one thing even with shadow and ear in between. Also your correction of her left cheek profile made her face look round, and thus wider in the widest part of her face. Your best corrections are in her eyes, and likely that is the value you were focused on in post, they are very well done in the enhanced picture and a little flat in the raw. In my opnion she has a lot of character in her cheek profile (three ridges and some nice smile lilnes) and you might be able to recover the shot by keeping some of your value corrections but not disturbing that left cheek profile.

Excuse me, but I heard there would be cake?

jmlivingston
112 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 09, 2015 22:33 |  #12

I'm a novice at PP so take my comments with more than 1 or 2 grains of salt....

Outside of the other comments already posted here about the skin work around the lower face/jaw, I like how you've brightened up her face and think it looks really good. What gets me though is how bright her coat is on the bottom right corner, it catches my eye too much. Same with the leaves in the background. If those two bits were just a little more muted then her face would stand out and separate from the background more. I presume that was the ex-boyfriends shoulder that you got rid of behind her? Well done, only picked it out because I was going back and forth between the two pictures looking at the leaves and realized something was missing.

sponsored links

2,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fat? Overcooked?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.