Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bugs in AMASS

this thread is locked
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 29, 2014 17:00 |  #361

Pekka wrote in post #17355415 (external link)
When you are told that cookies are not saved, refresh the page (with Chrome press F12 (open Developer Tools https://developer.chro​me.com/devtools/docs/s​hortcuts (external link)) and then hold the mouse down on the refresh icon and pick "Hard Reload" from the menu, to make absolutely sure the page is reloaded).

Maybe you are logged in, but your pages are served by a stale cache.

As your Safari works, that is equally the proof that AMASS works as designed. This site does not make anything differently based on browser you use.

In Chrome it is also easy to check that cookies are saved:

Open developer Tools
Click "resources" tab
Click "Cookies"
Click "photography-on-the.net"

If there is a cookie there with a long garbled name, size about 300 bytes, then that is the login cookie.

(just to make sure: please do NOT post a screenshot of that window)

See also https://support.mozill​a.org/en-US/questions/1034392 (external link)

I did what you suggested. There is no cookie from POTN at all in Chrome. I did the hard reload also. I tried 3 more times, all with the same result as before. As it is a completely fresh install there were only cookies for the 6 sites I logged into that I know needed cookies. The only one that did not work POTN. I checked Firefox as well, no cookies from POTN there either. That is also a completely fresh install of Firefox 34.0.5 with no add ons or extensions put on yet.

I think I may have been unclear with you. When I say Safari works, I mean that its the only one that doesn't log me out for no reason. If I close the Safari page, I will still be automatically logged out. For that reason I leave Safari open all the time. If for some reason I need to reboot the computer I have to go through all the steps to login and get my pages the way I liked them again.

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 29, 2014 22:54 |  #362

Pekka wrote in post #17351781 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/new.php

I just did one fix to notifications, hopefully that helps.

Due to the lack of notifications, I just saw this now while going back and reading through the thread. I am unsure of what clicking on this link is supposed to do? It just takes me to the Real Time Activity Tracker and I don't see anything about notifications. What should I be looking for?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,597 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 30, 2014 00:33 |  #363

Does it make sense to install some sort of remote desktop or Web conference to do testing remotely. I will say that logically it sounds like your hardware or service provider creating an issue because nobody is having the level of issues seen here.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 30, 2014 01:22 |  #364

Bug or not, I don't know. The page-jump feature--click the green page number--doesn't work in the "All of" gallery.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 30, 2014 01:39 |  #365

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17356908 (external link)
I will say that logically it sounds like your hardware or service provider creating an issue because nobody is having the level of issues seen here.

It not just one machine and one service provider though. Its multiple machines/devices and 2 different ISPs and 2 different cellular networks.

Pekka has already said he is too busy to worry abut this anymore and thats fine so I have no choice but to use it the way it is for me or move on. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 30, 2014 20:36 |  #366

A mod deleted some posts in a thread. One of them was mine, but the "YOURS: 1" remained.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,849 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 31, 2014 03:08 |  #367

OhLook wrote in post #17358273 (external link)
A mod deleted some posts in a thread. One of them was mine, but the "YOURS: 1" remained.

Thanks, a nice catch. That bug is now fixed - the fix applies to all post deletes from this moment on, I'll fix previous counter errors later.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,275 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 01, 2015 11:05 |  #368

I don't know if this is a bug and it's no big deal really, but I've noticed that all(I guess, all that I've checked anyway) of my old posts, pre-AMASS are labeled as responses to the post directly above. In most cases this was not the original intent and can be confusing to readers now.

Mark

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 01, 2015 17:29 |  #369

rrblint wrote in post #17360489 (external link)
I don't know if this is a bug and it's no big deal really, but I've noticed that all(I guess, all that I've checked anyway) of my old posts, pre-AMASS are labeled as responses to the post directly above. In most cases this was not the original intent and can be confusing to readers now.

That would be because vBulletin doesn't have a distinction between replying to a post or replying to the thread. The best that it can do is quote, but even that is just a reply to nobody in particular.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,275 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 01, 2015 18:35 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #370

Hi Bill. Yes I realize this and in VB I always quoted the post that I was responding to when I responded to a particular post rather than responding to the thread. So the notation that I was responding to the above post is unnecessary and in most cases wrong.

Mark

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by OhLook.

Jan 01, 2015 18:54 |  #371

Bill Boehme wrote in post #17361032 (external link)
That would be because vBulletin doesn't have a distinction between replying to a post or replying to the thread. The best that it can do is quote, but even that is just a reply to nobody in particular.

When going through old posts in Urban & Travel to find photos for my gallery, I noticed that some posts were labeled as replies to Post XXX and some had no such label. vBulletin must have made a distinction, no?

This is a sample. https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1401​119&page=1

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 01, 2015 21:34 |  #372

rrblint wrote in post #17361156 (external link)
Hi Bill. Yes I realize this and in VB I always quoted the post that I was responding to when I responded to a particular post rather than responding to the thread. So the notation that I was responding to the above post is unnecessary and in most cases wrong.

Would the notion that you were replying to the thread be any more acceptable? VB and AMASS are very different so there probably no such thing as a perfect translation.

OhLook wrote in post #17361180 (external link)
Bill Boehme wrote in post #17361032 (external link)

When going through old posts in Urban & Travel to find photos for my gallery, I noticed that some posts were labeled as replies to Post XXX and some had no such label. vBulletin must have made a distinction, no?

This is a sample. https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1401​119&page=1

I checked out several of the vBulletin forums that I belong to. Only one of them (v4.2.2) had a reply button with each post, but there was no way to tell any difference between replying to a post or replying to the thread, at least none that I was able to find.

On most forums activity is so low that this is not a matter of concern. On busy forums, I make it a habit of quoting salient parts of a post because even on AMASS the difference between replying to a post or the thread is very low-key.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 01, 2015 21:53 |  #373

Bill Boehme wrote in post #17361369 (external link)
I checked out several of the vBulletin forums that I belong to. Only one of them (v4.2.2) had a reply button with each post, but there was no way to tell any difference between replying to a post or replying to the thread, at least none that I was able to find.

I don't know what version POTN used. Although my memory of the interface is fading, I remember that (A) you could reply to a post by quoting or multiquoting it, and (B) you could reply to a thread by using Post Reply or Quick Reply. Presumably the difference between A and B accounts for the variation, visible at AMASS!, in the way posts are labeled in threads that came over from POTN-vB.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 01, 2015 21:54 |  #374

Here's an oddity.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bill Boehme.

Jan 01, 2015 22:00 |  #375

OhLook wrote in post #17361395 (external link)
I don't know what version POTN used. Although my memory of the interface is fading, I remember that (A) you could reply to a post by quoting or multiquoting it, and (B) you could reply to a thread by using Post Reply or Quick Reply. Presumably the difference between A and B accounts for the variation, visible at AMASS!, in the way posts are labeled in threads that came over from POTN-vB.

Old POTN used v3.X.X. I think that you are correct, but like you my memory of the way it looked is fading. In reading through some of the complaints about AMASS with claims about what could be done, shows that some memories have faded into fantasy.

sponsored links

50,780 views & 16 likes for this thread
Bugs in AMASS
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.