Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 02, 2015 02:09 |  #2761

Box Brownie wrote in post #17360959 (external link)
I do and just reminds me that the wonders of nature both big and small never cease :) Did you spot at the time of the capture?

PS Seeing the links that this was at Wisley I surmise in the Orchid house, also reminds me we need to visit again soon as no excuse especially as SWMBO is an RHS member and we live about 3 miles down the road :lol:

Thanks and honestly - nope didn't see it until after I had taken it. You are also correct it was in the orchid house at Wisley, I believe they are filing it with butterflies again at some point point this month so would be worth going then.

.DAVID.

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 02, 2015 03:17 |  #2762

Good morning all and Happy New Year!

I've been as guilty as some of the rest of you *looks at Mike and Neal* in term of not posting anything or taking that many photos to be honest. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I upgraded my 50D (and Cindy's) to a 6D and am hoping that inspires me to get off my ass to shoot some stuff :-)

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Neal
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 02, 2015 06:25 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #2763

I may have also done similar to Jonathan and picked up a new 7D II to get me snapping more....... So many AF points!

Neal EOS 7D, EOS 40D, EOS 650, 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200mm f/4.0 L, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8 I
website (external link) Flickr (external link) UK SE thread

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 02, 2015 10:46 |  #2764

Box Brownie wrote in post #17360129 (external link)
Happy New Year to one and all :)

I have two resolutions photographically speaking ~ one is to get out and use the camera more and secondly to get going and work on more sales of prints (in shops, galleries, direct enquires......etc) as must make the effort to generate some secondary income as I head towards retirement in not that many years time :)

Happy New Year to you too.

Yes, you must do it. The years fly by and before you know it, it's retirement time. I was humming and harring about when to retire and the decision was made for me at the end of May - I got made redundant, so decided to retire, I expected to be chosen but it's still a shock and feels like a slap in the face after almost doing 25 years plus 3 years as a permanent temp before going permanent. I am not complaining though as I am really enjoying life in the slow lane and not having to put up with office politics lol.

Hoping to take more pics this year now that I have more time :-)

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 02, 2015 10:47 |  #2765

David Stallard wrote in post #17360929 (external link)
Lets hope that this year is a damn site better than the last ehh. Bring on the good luck for a change;-)a

Please tell me you can see the 'doll' in the centre of this orchid

QUOTED IMAGE

Crop
QUOTED IMAGE

.DAVID.

Lovely pics of it and yes, I can see the 'doll' so you aren't going mad lol

Linda

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 02, 2015 10:49 |  #2766

Neal wrote in post #17361827 (external link)
I may have also done similar to Jonathan and picked up a new 7D II to get me snapping more....... So many AF points!

Congrats on the new camera - I have seen some fabulous pics taken with it. Not going to upgrade mine though but am going to get a new lens instead

Linda

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 6 years ago by Ronin Silv.

Jan 02, 2015 11:19 |  #2767

Nice new cameras chaps I keep toying with the idea of a new camera I'm drawn toward the 5Diii but I also keep looking at a Mamiya 645AFD2 and getting a digital back for it though it is a more expensive option I'm shooting a lot in medium format and the choice of both digital and film backs for the same camera is appealing.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 02, 2015 16:41 |  #2768

Neal wrote in post #17361827 (external link)

LindaB wrote in post #17362176 (external link)
Congrats on the new camera - I have seen some fabulous pics taken with it. Not going to upgrade mine though but am going to get a new lens instead

Linda

Drat, multi quoting not complete as wanted to include Jonathan's post!

Yes, seems to be the season to be spending or should that be those with GAS are doing so ;)

Like Linda I am/will be planning on better glass...............th​e reports so far of the MkII 100-400 look very promising, though I will have sell my original 100-400mm to help fund it :) And yes the 7D2 looks the bees knees, more like what it should have been from the "get go" but for now my 5D3 will have to suffice. NB if I ma going to get it will be needed for a trip in late May to Grantown on Spey (flying into Inverness as no way I would drive up there)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 02, 2015 16:48 |  #2769

LindaB wrote in post #17362171 (external link)
Happy New Year to you too.

Yes, you must do it. The years fly by and before you know it, it's retirement time. I was humming and harring about when to retire and the decision was made for me at the end of May - I got made redundant, so decided to retire, I expected to be chosen but it's still a shock and feels like a slap in the face after almost doing 25 years plus 3 years as a permanent temp before going permanent. I am not complaining though as I am really enjoying life in the slow lane and not having to put up with office politics lol.

Hoping to take more pics this year now that I have more time :-)

Linda

Hi Linda

If I could afford to retire now I think I would but not eligible for the state pension until September 2019 (the Government added 6 months to the "term" :lol: ) so that must also be factored in. And yes time does fly so I really must get my head in gear and make 2015 the year to put plans in place and actioning to move forwards!!! Shall see how it pans out over the year and whether I could even if possible retire early...............or should be work at living and stop living at working. One thing for sure thing for sure the pension when it comes will need crutches hence the other income channels ;)

Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 02, 2015 16:53 |  #2770

Ronin Silv wrote in post #17362209 (external link)
Nice new cameras chaps I keep toying with the idea of a new camera I'm drawn toward the 5Diii but I also keep looking at a Mamiya 645AFD2 and getting a digital back for it though it is a more expensive option I'm shooting a lot in medium format and the choice of both digital and film backs for the same camera is appealing.

In general terms I enjoyed the step up to the 5D3 as the 'richness' in the images was IMO noteworthy going to full frame and no doubt medium format digital would take that to the much higher level........so if you can justify it (cost and benefit) for the type of photography you are now doing I would say go for it, though if you can hire such kit to start with that may be a good initiation step???

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 03, 2015 04:24 |  #2771

Box Brownie wrote in post #17362710 (external link)
In general terms I enjoyed the step up to the 5D3 as the 'richness' in the images was IMO noteworthy going to full frame and no doubt medium format digital would take that to the much higher level........so if you can justify it (cost and benefit) for the type of photography you are now doing I would say go for it, though if you can hire such kit to start with that may be a good initiation step???

Laurence it the 3K cost of the digital back that puts me off a 645AFD the body it's self can be picked up for around the £700-1000 pound mark and MF lenses are peanuts. Being able to have both digital and film backs for the same camera appeals as I can go out and shoot both and only take one body out where now I take two I think I need to look at if I generate enough work to justify the outlay.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 03, 2015 06:15 |  #2772

Box Brownie wrote in post #17362700 (external link)
Hi Linda

If I could afford to retire now I think I would but not eligible for the state pension until September 2019 (the Government added 6 months to the "term" :lol: ) so that must also be factored in. And yes time does fly so I really must get my head in gear and make 2015 the year to put plans in place and actioning to move forwards!!! Shall see how it pans out over the year and whether I could even if possible retire early...............or should be work at living and stop living at working. One thing for sure thing for sure the pension when it comes will need crutches hence the other income channels ;)

I was sort of lucky in that I only had about 18 months lopped onto mine for the equalisation of pension age so I deferred mine for a year anyway - so glad I did! I was very lucky in that I had the company pension scheme. Without that, I would not survive with just the State pension for sure without having to really scrape by.

It is so important to make provision as it creeps up on you before you know it and when the thought of just the State pension really hits home its quite frightening. You are very wise to get the ball rolling for when you can retire - hope you get something sorted out and good luck with it :-)

Linda

Richard1959
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 03, 2015 07:56 |  #2773

Jonathan wrote in post #17361731 (external link)
Good morning all and Happy New Year!

I've been as guilty as some of the rest of you *looks at Mike and Neal* in term of not posting anything or taking that many photos to be honest. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I upgraded my 50D (and Cindy's) to a 6D and am hoping that inspires me to get off my ass to shoot some stuff :-)

The 6D is great camera, not as many focusing points as the 7D but then I only normally use 1 :) I like the built in GPS although at times its coordinates are a little out, not having a built in flash I don't miss although I wish the WiFi had the RF flash commander for the 680EX flash not that I have that flash, the WiFi link with a smartphone or tablet has its uses.

Sometimes I take good photos other times !!!!
EOS 5DMkiv EF100-400L f4.5-5.6, EF24-105L f4, EF16-35L f4 EF50 1:1.8 II, EF28 1:2.8 & 580EXII and some triggers. Lightroom & Photoshop CC

My Flickr (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,811 posts
Gallery: 1440 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 03, 2015 16:56 |  #2774

Hi All - I wish you all the best for the New Year.

I moved to a 7D2 about 6 weeks ago - lots of impressive features but I think a bit overpriced.
Have not had much use from it yet though as it is not the best time of year outdoors. Still trying to grasp the focussing point selection - so mainly sticking to spot focus.
For a long-awaited camera I feel Canon let it down a bit. The exposure meter scale in viewfinder window is not bright enough and poorly positioned to the side, making it difficult to adjust exposure when using manual mode. It could have done with the addition of Wi-Fi and the GPS could possibly be a bit more sensitive. All minor gripes I suppose - maybe I'll find a few more yet - who knows? I hope not.

Anyone here got the new 100-400L IS Mk2 yet? I will have to work hard on my budget controller to acquire that, I'm sure. She ain't seen the credit card entry for the 7D2 yet.

Regards

Ray-P

Klystron
Goldmember
2,939 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Klystron.

Jan 04, 2015 03:05 as a reply to  @ Ray.Petri's post |  #2775

Ray, I been using the 7D2 for track cycling at the Lee Valley Velodrome, works a treat, much better than a 5D3, an I think more keepers than the 7D. Dont forget it has a metal body so this will effect any wireless communications.
I have been using an ISO of around 1250 to 4000. See the photos on my Zenfolio site.

Dom, left field suggestion, what about a Sony A7 (or if you have the money A7R)? I prefer it to the 5D3 and you can use other lenses, I use Canon EF lenses on it, and I have a Zeiss 135mm made for a Contax fit. Think of all those old Leica and Zeiss lens you could get, for portrait shoots.
The down side is it eats batteries.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links

786,252 views & 304 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.