Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 02:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An unusual official formal group picture: Do you like it?

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,209 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 01, 2015 02:28 |  #1

Switzerland is governed by 7 'presidents' - the Swiss Federal Council. Every year they publish an official and formal group picture. This year the fotog took some inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci and made an unusual choice:
http://www.admin.ch …/00094/index.ht​ml?lang=en (external link)

Unusual in a sense that this is the first formal picture I paid any attention to. It's different and I am impressed. To be honest, I am still not quite sure if I like it. Especially, because the 5 people in the back are not facing me. On the other hand, it is always difficult to take a formal picture of mostly black suited people that are not completely boring or where the background provides all the beauty. And this picture did make me look twice.

What do you think?

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2015 02:36 |  #2

Since there are 8 people seated at the table - who's who? LOL!! (I know - grammatically incorrect - but it's supposed to be humor!)

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

awan247
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 02, 2015 05:41 |  #3

Yes, it is looking good picture.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 02, 2015 07:39 |  #4

No I don't. There is one woman who has her face turned away from the camera. Can't see her face only the side if her head. Hope you didn't take it.

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,209 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 02, 2015 09:10 |  #5

Just to be clear: No, this is not my picture. That's the reason I am posting it in this section.

Donate if you love POTN

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 02, 2015 09:42 |  #6

I like the photo, it's very appealing. But as a group formal, not at all.

Sevas Tra...

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,344 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 02, 2015 10:20 |  #7

I like it a lot. It is fresh and too me makes them a little more personable, while still retaining an air of formality. Only problem is that the person on our right of the shot is turned slightly too far away from the camera.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,313 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2015 10:41 |  #8

I like it, and an example of a photographer doing something slightly different and the client clearly being happy with it. Good work that man, much more interesting photograph than a stiff formal portrait, and makes the council look like people. Setting appropriate to function as well.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 03, 2015 22:09 |  #9

Yes, its better than the 'walmart' style photo you typically see in formal group shots.

Gearlist

Strontium
Durr?
7,403 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 03, 2015 22:11 |  #10

I like it because it seems to achieve it's purpose. I would imagine the two that are looking at the camera wanted to be the prominent subjects, of the photograph. The rest seem to be background fodder.

I am I

Carpe ­ Lux
29 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 04, 2015 02:49 |  #11

I like the fresh pose & don't mind that it's not the typical group shot....especially knowing that this same group shot is repeated every year so they probably wanted something a bit different.....next year perhaps clinking glasses & toasting each other? Or bicycling through the Alps?

Wait a minute! I've got it.....they're hiking over the mountains, holding hands with Julie Andrews & singing....."The hills are alive......"

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 04, 2015 06:02 |  #12

Yes I like it. Not stuffy and looks like they might actually do some work!

Have you checked out the ADDITIONAL PORTRAITS ? They are a very modern take too.

The individual portraits are shown under the heading 'portraits 2015' to the right of the same page, which takes you to
http://www.admin.ch …/00768/index.ht​ml?lang=en (external link)

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 05, 2015 01:11 |  #13

IMO the group portrait is excellent, really strong for this genre a really nice balance of relaxed style and formal.

The additional portraits are not to my taste though, I'd like to know what the thinking behind the all grey no white is?

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links

2,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
An unusual official formal group picture: Do you like it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.