Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jan 2015 (Friday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Metering and AF points-MKIII

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2015 16:50 |  #1

I looked all through the menu and online, but cannot find the answer to this question:

Which AF point does the 5DMKIII use when it meters? It is always the center point or does it meter where the AF point currently is.

Thanks!

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,102 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 02, 2015 16:50 |  #2

Centre

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2015 17:07 |  #3

So...what if my subject is not in the center? If I meter a subject off to the side using the center, then recompose...won't that throw off my exposure if I'm in a priority mode and not manual?

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 17:22 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

In EVALUATIVE metering mode, I believe that all Canon DSLRs weight the metering toward the AF point used to obtain focus. I've had: 450D, 500D, 60D, 5Dc, 6D and two Elan 7s. All of them worked that way. It is also quite easy to use the center point for metering, hit the * button to lock the exposure, then recompose and fire the shutter. I wouldn't try that with sports/action shooting, though.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Full ­ Auto ­ Shooter
33 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 02, 2015 17:23 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #5

depends on what you're metering off. you could meter off your subject and use exposure lock, then re-compose or use a different metering mode no?

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by GeoKras1989.

Jan 02, 2015 17:24 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

xpfloyd wrote in post #17362704 (external link)
Centre

Not so, in EVALUATIVE mode, anyway.

Find a scene with a lot of contrast. Meter a bright spot (use AF point over the bright spot) and a meter a dark spot (use AF point over the bright spot) without moving the camera. You will get vastly different exposures.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 02, 2015 17:46 |  #7

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17362759 (external link)
In EVALUATIVE metering mode, I believe that all Canon DSLRs weight the metering toward the AF point used to obtain focus. I've had: 450D, 500D, 60D, 5Dc, 6D and two Elan 7s. All of them worked that way. It is also quite easy to use the center point for metering, hit the * button to lock the exposure, then recompose and fire the shutter. I wouldn't try that with sports/action shooting, though.

I do not believe this to be true.

If you do a simple test with lets say a 35mm lens on a 5D3 and place a Macbook two feet from your camera with the white light shinning through the Apple Logo in Evaluative Metering, it does not matter at all if you move the focus point around all the focus points and out to the edge where it is MUCH darker than the bright white light shinning through the Apple logo - you get the same metering - thus it is not taking into affect your selected focus point - the 1Dx allows you to do this but the 5D3 (at least) does not.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:09 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

This is way too easy to prove to bother with any debate about it. The following two identically framed shots were taken with 60D/28 1.8 in Manual mode with auto-ISO. One is using the right AF point over the printer, the other is using the left AF point over the document on screen. NOTHING CHANGED BUT THE SELECTED AF POINT. There is a 3-stop exposure difference. How is that possible if the camera used the center point each time? Canon cameras (as far as I can tell) have always weighted the exposure toward the selected AF point. Even my film cameras did this. My 6D does the same thing. My guess is that your 5DIII behaves this way, also. BTW, EXIF intact on these shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:17 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Someone help, please. I can see the EXIF on other folks' posted photos, but I can't 'view exif' on the two shots that I posted above. What gives?

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:27 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Apparently, Canon believes that Evaluative metering is linked to the selected AF points on ALL Canon cameras.

Quoted from: http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …ograph_snow_art​icle.shtml (external link)

"Metering Modes

Most cameras have more than one metering mode (though they all use the basic reflective approach described above). These modes are not always found in every camera, but here are some of the common ones found in the Canon EOS and PowerShot systems:

Evaluative: Metering is directly linked to, and concentrated on, the area around the active AF point, whether you’ve focused on something in the center or off-center. Light values measured at the active AF point are compared with light values measured from the metering segments across the remaining areas of the scene, and the camera's metering system attempts to provide an accurate exposure based on that comparison. This metering pattern is often effective when photographing people, but may not be quite as effective when photographing snowy landscapes depending on other elements in the scene. Note that because Evaluative Metering is linked to active AF points, focusing on a different subject may result in a very different exposure — even within the same scene. Note: In the simulated viewfinder, Evaluative mode is shown with the left-most AF point active
."

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:30 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17362799 (external link)
I do not believe this to be true.

If you do a simple test with lets say a 35mm lens on a 5D3 and place a Macbook two feet from your camera with the white light shinning through the Apple Logo in Evaluative Metering, it does not matter at all if you move the focus point around all the focus points and out to the edge where it is MUCH darker than the bright white light shinning through the Apple logo - you get the same metering - thus it is not taking into affect your selected focus point - the 1Dx allows you to do this but the 5D3 (at least) does not.

Canon seems to think it does.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:38 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

A few words of explanation, if I may.

When I first switched from manual film cameras to auto-everything digital (XSi) about 6 years ago, I was hugely confused by the various ways the metering modes behaved. I grew up on Center-Weighted Average that was the only available metering mode on most SLRs in the 1970s. I figured the best way to attack the 'metering' problem was NOT to try to figure out all 4 of them, but to understand ONE of them completely. I have spent a lot of time mastering EVALUATIVE metering. I use it exclusively because I know how it works, completely. I find it much easier, no matter what the scene, to know how the camera is going to meter, and adjust EC on the fly, than switching modes every time the lighting changes. EVALUATIVE metering is much aligned for not behaving well in this or that light. It is very predictable, if you know how it supposed to work. It is the only mode I use.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2015 18:38 |  #13

I would think spot metering on the AF point would make much more sense. I wonder why Canon didn't link spot metering to AF point.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 02, 2015 18:41 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

jeljohns wrote in post #17362889 (external link)
I would think spot metering on the AF point would make much more sense. I wonder why Canon didn't link spot metering to AF point.

I think they did, on the high-end cameras. I don't use SPOT metering or high-end cameras, so I'll let others comment more thoroughly on that.

EDIT: If you understand how EVALUATIVE works, you have no use for SPOT metering.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Submariner.

Jan 02, 2015 18:45 |  #15

jeljohns wrote in post #17362889 (external link)

One of the major reasons to buy a 1DX.
IMO one of the few failings of the 5DIII.

Only in Evaluative Mode is the metering done at the AF Point that achieved Focus, in all other modes its done at the Centre AF point
f***king crazy!

For £3,000 I expected metering to be done at the AF point selected, or that achieved focus UNLess I set an option to chooose the centre Point.
But I was dreaming !

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

4,278 views & 3 likes for this thread
Metering and AF points-MKIII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.