Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 02 Jan 2015 (Friday) 17:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND ltd1982 (showing now: ltd1982)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money9
Must Have8
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance8.5
Handling and Ergonomics5
User-interface5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, reviewed by ltd1982

ltd1982
34 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 02, 2015 17:56 |  #1

I bought this little LX5 several years ago because I was getting tired of dragging around a bunch of glass and bodies on big vacations - I like to travel light, and my obsession with 1D bodies is not conducive to travelling too light.

After doing some research, I figured that it was between the Canon GX, Nikon (P7000 I think was it) and the LX5. The specs I liked best about the LX5 was the constant f2.0, wide angle equivalent (24mm), and the fact that it had a hotshoe mount on it, so I could strobe with it if necessary.

After a number of years now, I can say that the LX5 has exceeded my expectations in most categories - it does reasonably well in low light with a tripod (especially given it's tiny size), does a decent job of colour rendition, works with my remote triggers, and is small enough that I carry it pretty much everywhere.

The one thing that still bothers me (and I knew going into it), is that there's no good or easy way to trigger it remotely, and it does not have a bulb function - two things that would cement it's place as a constant in my backpack.

All that being said, a number of my favorite photos have been taken with it because it is always with me, and I would never carry a 1D series with me everywhere I go.

Here's a gallery with most of my shots with it. (external link)

And a few of my favorites:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5213/5406937904_1de3f92473_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9eMY​gj  (external link) X is for Cross-Border (external link) by .WFJ (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5093/5409182989_f07c58ea46_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9eZt​DF  (external link) Y is for Why Am I Falling Off the Planet?! (external link) by .WFJ (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, reviewed by ltd1982
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.