Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji X-T1 thoughts?

starlights
659 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2015 01:13 |  #16

Tony-S wrote in post #17340415 (external link)
I have to say, my FD 300mm f/4L is simply marvelous on the X-E1. I had no idea that lens was as good as it is when I was only shooting film 20 years ago. In fact, the principal reason for buying into the Fuji mirrorless was my collection of FD lenses. They're now like the toys in Toy Story - they don't want to go back in the box. :)

What adapter do you use with FD and Fuji?
Any sample images?
Just curious. ....

sponsored links
Jay-Bird
804 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 02, 2015 08:58 |  #17

Over the summer I unloaded my 5D II and other Canon gear and purchased a XT1 kit. I just recently purchased the 35MM 1.4.

So far I love it. Smaller camera, but just as durable. Image quality is amazing, and I am not even using it to its full potential yet. Batteries dont last too long though, so buy extras or get the battery grip.

The only thing I miss about Canon is the lens support, but I do realize X mount is fairly new, so in time Sigma and others will jump on board.

Facebook:https://www.facebook.c​om/ZeroedInPhotography (external link)
http://www.zeroedinpho​tography.wordpress.com (external link)

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 02, 2015 12:46 |  #18

I've thought about switching to an XT-1 for studio and location portraits, but one issue keeping me from doing so is the lack of tethering support.
Anybody here have any news regarding this issue?

Codda
221 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 02, 2015 13:29 |  #19

Pretty sure the new firmware update supports tethering on Windows platform.

benttop
701 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by benttop. (3 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2015 15:44 |  #20

Firmware 3.0 supports tethering, certainly.

I have two Canon 5D3's, the original 7D and two Fuji cameras - the X100S and the X-T1. The one place the Fujis fall down is focus speed, compared to the 5D3. I plan to keep the Canons simply because I like to shoot birds in flight, and the x-T1 is not particularly good at that. Well, I might unload one 5D3 to get fundage for more X glass.. :)

On the other hand, the X-T1 went to Mexico with me in November and I had a blast with it there. Managed to grab some images that I am very proud of. Based on my experiences there, I can say the X-T1 would be my first choice for landscape and portrait photography, while the 5D3 will remain my go to camera for birds and other active shooting. Here are a few samples.

The sunset was taken with the 18-55 kit lens from a tripod, several shots stitched in Photoshop. These were the jpgs straight out of the camera.

IMAGE: http://blog.strayca.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141204_Panorama01a.jpg

The cormorant was the 55-200 handheld at 200mm 1/60 second.

IMAGE: http://blog.strayca.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141217_DSRC6877.jpg

The cat was the 35mm f1.4 shot wide open with available light, indoors, hand held at 1/60 second.

IMAGE: http://blog.strayca.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141224_dsrc7005.jpg

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

rcrabat
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 05, 2015 00:01 as a reply to  @ benttop's post |  #21

I love the photo's!

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 05, 2015 12:02 |  #22

Nice photos benttop!
So tethering works, but only on Windows. Anybody know what software is supported?
I'm not sure of all the requirements, but I'm surprised it's not supported cross platform in something like Lightroom.

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2015 09:59 |  #23

I just saw this:

http://www.fujirumors.​com …ce-fujifilm-launches-sdk/ (external link)

It appears that tethering through Lightroom will become a reality.

knak
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2015 10:01 as a reply to  @ rburgett's post |  #24

Saw that this morning too!!!

Yay

iso100
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 12, 2015 15:40 |  #25

I have been a Canon guy for many years, since the D30 (not 30D) and have amassed many L lenses. I'm now, after owning an X100S for about a year, ready to sell it all and switch to the XT-1.

Has anyone else done this? Any reservations?

mark2009
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2015 14:44 |  #26

iso100 wrote in post #17429073 (external link)
I have been a Canon guy for many years, since the D30 (not 30D) and have amassed many L lenses. I'm now, after owning an X100S for about a year, ready to sell it all and switch to the XT-1.

Has anyone else done this? Any reservations?

My canon 7d has been sitting untouched for a year. I bought a fuji xe1, and now have a xe2. Since my son is done with basketball, no need for the 7d.
I am putting it up forsale after the weekend.

brg513
639 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 14, 2015 19:26 |  #27

I sold my 5d2 along with a bunch of lenses to get my XT1 kit. IMO, the Fuji has better high ISO than my 5D2. The Fuji lenses are all great. All of this at the fraction of the price of the Canon counterparts. I basically have all the lenses I used with my Canon gear on the Fuji side and they are IMO all better. The EVF on the XT1 is so cool. It's basically what you see is what you get. The EVF gives you a level, frame lines, histogram, etc. The controls are the most fun to use. There are dials for everything that I usually need. (ISO, Aperture, Shutter, drive mode.) Shooting manual mode has never been so easy. I hardly need to go into a menu. Fuji as a company has been very good with providing firmware upgrades to all of it's cameras to make them better.

There are some things that are not as good. The AF is still not as good as DSLRs but hopefully that'll change someday. The battery power is shorter. I have to carry at least 2 extra batteries with me to last the whole day of shooting. It's 16 mega pixels. I didn't think that would matter to me but now with the monitors going up in resolution (4k, 5k) I hear it'll take a 16mp image to fill the screen of a 5k iMac. The Fuji Lens system is still not mature enough yet. Although they now have the trinity of zooms, I am anxiously waiting for that super telephoto lens that they are coming out with or the teleconverter. I am currently using a 3rd party fisheye (samyang manual focus only) lens and I wish Fuji would come out with one so that I can get AF.

C & C is always welcomed.

zenfolio (external link) | 500px (external link) | flick (external link)r (external link) | instagram (external link) | my gear

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,952 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2015 22:09 |  #28

I have 5dmk3 and most L glass. On Fuji side I got XT-1 and most of the primes like 14mm f2.8, 23mm, 35mm and 56mm. Fuji is nice, but I still can't let my dSLR go. When I need to get that shot, it is 5dmk3 over XT-1. Image quality I don't know. I have owned all 5d series along with 6d and I think 5dmk3/6d are much better than Fuji at higher ISOs. 5dmk2 and 5dmk3 is like 1/2 stop so hard for me to think XT-1 does better. Could be but I would like to some real life proof.

XT-1 needs to get at least Sony A6000 in AF speed.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

DeuceJanisch
34 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 20, 2015 11:20 |  #29

Sold off my 5dii kit and picked up a x-t1 a few months ago and couldn't be happier! I've been able to put together a great set of prime lenses on a modest budget and more importantly, the whole system is so compact that I'm rarely without it..

starlights
659 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by starlights.

Apr 20, 2015 22:53 as a reply to  @ DeuceJanisch's post |  #30

I shot an Indian wedding yesterday and used X-t1 as the primary camera (56 1.2 & 18-55) For outdoor shots I used the X-t1 exclusively, however for the indoor shots where i had to move around I had to depend on my 5DII because of the ettl flash system. The wedding took place in a small cultural center of a local temple, and the primary venue light was recessed florescent in the ceiling so I had to basically kill it with my flash units. For static shots I used multiple manual flashs on stand with X-t1.

Barring the need for ettl flash in moving shots, X-t1 was fantastic, but then the absence of ettl flash system makes it unusable in certain dynamic low light situations, so i think i will hang on to my essential Canon gear for a bit longer than i had originally anticipated.

In terms of IQ, both cameras performed identical for my needs.

sponsored links

8,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji X-T1 thoughts?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.