Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D issues

Spinner ­ of ­ Tales
407 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 04, 2015 12:29 |  #1

For whatever reason my 7D just does not seem as bright as my 50D was. Shooting same lenses all L series IS Canons, 100-400, 70-200.
Also what color temp should I be shooting at when photographing wildlife?

Thanks for any input, please bear with me I am by no means a Pro.

Thanks,

Spinner:-D

http://spinneroftalesp​hotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 04, 2015 12:49 |  #2

You might want to post a sample of shots you don't like with exif data intact so we can properly diagnose what your issues might be.

Lots of experienced 7D shooters on here.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,242 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by oldvultureface.

Jan 04, 2015 17:42 |  #3

My 7D meters a third of a stop brighter than my 50D, the opposite of yours. The "correct" exposure is up to you and your histogram.

If shooting RAW, auto white balance and adjust color temperature in post. If JPEG, auto, or if picky, set a custom WB with a gray card.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by sandpiper.

Jan 04, 2015 17:51 |  #4

Spinner of Tales wrote in post #17365658 (external link)
For whatever reason my 7D just does not seem as bright as my 50D was. Shooting same lenses all L series IS Canons, 100-400, 70-200.

In what way do you mean "not as bright"?

Do you mean the images are underexposed compared to your 50D? In which case you may have some EC (exposure compensation) dialled in on one of them, or it could simply be that one uses a different baseline for exposure (some newer bodies seem to be set to meter for a slightly darker result than older ones). If it is simply a case of metering differences then you can allow for that when setting exposure.

Do you mean that the 50D images have a bit more pop and contrast to them? If so, are you shooting in jpeg? This could be a simple matter of the two cameras using different processing parameters due to the picture styles chosen and adjusting the 7D to better suit your tastes.

There are many possible meanings to your question though, and a lot of possible reasons for what you are seeing. As suggested above, post some sample images, with the exif intact, and be as precise as possible with your question as to what the problem is, whether you are shooting jpeg, raw etc. Then we can hopefully give an informed answer.

Spinner of Tales wrote in post #17365658 (external link)
Also what color temp should I be shooting at when photographing wildlife?

There is no color temp for "shooting wildlife", you set the color temp according to the light you are shooting in, without seeing the light we cannot give you any help here. This is why the white balance dial has settings for direct sun / overcast (cloudy) / shade etc., as the color temperature will be different in each case and they put you in the ballpark. You can either use AWB, set it manually for sun or cloud etc., as you see fit, or set a custom WB. I would only use actual color temp numbers when using artificial light where I know the color temp that is being output (studio lighting for example)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2015 18:43 |  #5

Sandpiper brings up a good point. I'm no Pro either and will leave the technical answers to he and others better equipped than I.

But as Sandpiper says, we see a lot of posts here where people say "pictures with my new camera are not as good as I got with my previous one. All the settings are the same. Help me".

What does "not as good", "not as bright", not as sharp", "not as vivid" really mean.

With some sample images and concise questions, help will be a lot more forthcoming.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Spinner ­ of ­ Tales
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 04, 2015 19:41 |  #6

Thanks everyone, I'll get some up ASAP. Dealing with some issues so it will probably be day after tomorrow.
I do appreciate the comments.

Best,

Spinner

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2015 04:16 |  #7

yup, shoto in RAW, never have any issues

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 05, 2015 04:56 |  #8

bk2life wrote in post #17366888 (external link)
yup, shoto in RAW, never have any issues

Except for the one where LR is set up with the defaults in the Develop module to be different for different cameras. One spends years developing raw images with a certain set of defaults, which aren't applied to images from the new camera. Suddenly the new camera is producing dull, flat, fuzzy images.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Spinner ­ of ­ Tales
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 09, 2015 04:34 |  #9

I am sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. Problem has been solved the culprit was dirty lens contact points. I think it's all fine now.
Lesson learned, kept everything else clean but never gave that a thought. :rolleyes:
I thank you all for your interest and offers of assistance.

Spinner

Shot these after the clean up.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i811.photobucke​t.com …%2015/J-1_zpsa7dbc0ab.jpg (external link)

http://i811.photobucke​t.com …%2015/J-3_zps7f7966eb.jpg (external link)

http://i811.photobucke​t.com …/_MG_1720_zpse1​98c86f.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

2,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D issues
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.