Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 04, 2015 06:15 |  #2776

Klystron wrote in post #17365121 (external link)
Dom, left field suggestion, what about a Sony A7 (or if you have the money A7R)? I prefer it to the 5D3 and you can use other lenses, I use Canon EF lenses on it, and I have a Zeiss 135mm made for a Contax fit. Think of all those old Leica and Zeiss lens you could get, for portrait shoots.
The down side is it eats batteries.

The reason for going for a Mamiya 645AFD is the fact it's medium format the sensor is twice the size of a DSLR ful frame so the IQ is so much better it's the same as when you look at a 35mm shot compared to a 120 medium format film shot. I if do go for a DSLR it woul;d be the 5diii as you can now pick one up for about £1500 because the 5div will be out soon.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,811 posts
Gallery: 1440 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 04, 2015 11:03 as a reply to  @ post 17365121 |  #2777

OK Klystron, thanks for your comments.

I am aware of the signal shielding effect of the metal body - I spent a lot of my proper job as an EMC consultant on radio stations among other duties connected with cellular radio development and trouble-shooting - but my point is that canon could have easily got over the problem if it wanted to. Although I do see some of the potential problems, possibly noise and patterning on the image etc.

What I am more concerned with is the fact that the exposure meter doesn't appear at the bottom of the viewfinder window - instead it appears faintly vertically on the RHS of the viewfinder and it is damned near impossible to see in normal daylight. Now, as I tend to shoot mainly in manual mode it makes life more difficult.
I suppose I could adapt my shooting to Av or Tv modes - or even the green box mode.

I like the large format digital idea - having once owned a 'Blad' but I dunno how I could justify it.

Any other comments on the 7D2 would be interesting.

Ray-P

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 04, 2015 11:37 |  #2778

Ray I think I'd have the same problem as you with the exposure meter at the side it's more natural to look down when composing than to the side plus the exposure meter has been at the bottom of the viewfinder on every camera I've own.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 04, 2015 13:17 |  #2779

Here's some from today's walk with the dog all natural light which was a tad harsh.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7477/16010083598_b25553a4c6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qoKS​57  (external link) Kristina (external link) by Dom Regan Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/16197561295_6b2d1737cb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qFjJ​Ec  (external link) Kristina (external link) by Dom Regan Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7544/16196749602_7f601df1fd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qFfz​nu  (external link) Kristina (external link) by Dom Regan Photography (external link), on Flickr

Klystron
Goldmember
2,939 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Klystron.

Jan 04, 2015 13:59 |  #2780

Ray.Petri wrote in post #17365533 (external link)
OK Klystron, thanks for your comments.

I am aware of the signal shielding effect of the metal body - I spent a lot of my proper job as an EMC consultant on radio stations among other duties connected with cellular radio development and trouble-shooting - but my point is that canon could have easily got over the problem if it wanted to. Although I do see some of the potential problems, possibly noise and patterning on the image etc.

What I am more concerned with is the fact that the exposure meter doesn't appear at the bottom of the viewfinder window - instead it appears faintly vertically on the RHS of the viewfinder and it is damned near impossible to see in normal daylight. Now, as I tend to shoot mainly in manual mode it makes life more difficult.
I suppose I could adapt my shooting to Av or Tv modes - or even the green box mode.

I like the large format digital idea - having once owned a 'Blad' but I dunno how I could justify it.

Any other comments on the 7D2 would be interesting.

OK when I was a boy (and that is many years ago). I had a Practica MTL 3. And the light level meter was on the side, so its nothing new, and you will get use to it. ;-)a

I think for what the 7D2 was aimed for, does it need Wi-Fi ? maybe the answer is they should supply it with external removable antennas ? I would sooner have a camera with a metal body and when it gets dropped it survives.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,811 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 04, 2015 15:36 |  #2781

Klystron wrote in post #17365805 (external link)
OK when I was a boy (and that is many years ago). I had a Practica MTL 3. And the light level meter was on the side, so its nothing new, and you will get use to it. ;-)a

I think for what the 7D2 was aimed for, does it need Wi-Fi ? maybe the answer is they should supply it with external removable antennas ? I would sooner have a camera with a metal body and when it gets dropped it survives.

OK Klystron, fine - Let's put a 5/8 whip on it then - or a 20db collinear connected with a bit of LDF50.

My main gripe about the exposure meter is that it is too difficult/dim to read.

Anyway - I suppose I'll just have to get used to it. I have recorded the complaint with Canon to see if a future firmware download can restore the exposure meter to its original position. (I won't hold my breath, though)

Ray-P

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2015 06:14 as a reply to  @ post 17362209 |  #2782

I did a lot of research on this before I chose the 6D including hiring both for side by side testing and from what I learned, it's hard to see why you would be interested in the 5D MKIII. The biggest difference between the 2 cameras is the AF system. The 5D has an extremely complex system (which seems a lot like the 7D MKII) which makes it an awesome choice for sports and wildlife (particularly BIF). However, for those of us into portrait and landscapes, the 6D does all that the 5D can minus a couple of mp and a lower frame rate. The IQ from the 6D is as good (and some argue better) than the 5D, noise handling is certainly better and being able to focus at -3EV vs -2 EV is also a big advantage to me. Then the £1K difference in price is also a big issue and frankly, although cost was not a factor, it was certainly a huge benefit to this descision. As regards your MF plans, I cannot help.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2015 06:16 as a reply to  @ post 17364407 |  #2783

Hi Ray - long time no see. As you will see from my earlier posts, I have now upgraded to the 6D and was interested to learn why you went for the 7D MKII.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2015 09:06 |  #2784

You make a very strong argument for the 6D there JD, interesting. :)

So I picked up my camera on Boxing day with a firm resolution to use it more and promptly dropped it on thekitchen floor. Broke my 24-70L -? Oops a daisy!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Klystron
Goldmember
2,939 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2015 12:02 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #2785

Having use a 5D3 for sports. I can tell you its not a sports camera. Scot Kelby did a blog on the 7D2 and he said the 5D3 is not a sports camera.
The AF is not the same as the 7D2. Dispite what it looks like.

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 05, 2015 13:40 |  #2786

Klystron wrote in post #17367358 (external link)
Having use a 5D3 for sports. I can tell you its not a sports camera. Scot Kelby did a blog on the 7D2 and he said the 5D3 is not a sports camera.
The AF is not the same as the 7D2. Dispite what it looks like.

But the 5D3 beats the 7D in the AF department though lacks the crop 'advantage' and the few extra FPS. Much as I respect Scott Kelby I would like to see the context of his statement. So yes the 7D2 is clearly a step up in relative focal length and they have given it a 1DX like AF compared to the 5D3 but the 5D3 is no slouch IMO...............and and given the £'s I would add the 7D2 to my kit but not yet. Hmmm! the 7D will have to go first but the SH values are now stupid low :( As I mentioned above new glass first :)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2015 14:05 |  #2787

A 5d3 can now be found for around the £1500 it's not much more than a 6d or a 7d2 when it comes down to it it's what your happy with and get on with. I don't think there is any right or wrong answer do what JD and Cindy did and try before you buy and see what you like.

Klystron
Goldmember
2,939 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2015 15:47 as a reply to  @ Box Brownie's post |  #2788

But have you actually used the 5D3 for fast action shots ?
Have a look at this http://scottkelby.com …-on-the-canon-7d-mark-ii/ (external link)

Klystron
Goldmember
2,939 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2015 16:00 as a reply to  @ Ray.Petri's post |  #2789

Ray, thats going a bit far, but I do have a co-linear for the Wi-Fi band that would give you extra range. Even a 1/4 wave would do. Or if they had not fitted the pop up flash. It would have made more room for a bigger antenna.

I had not noticed the level meter, having looked at it now, I dont think its too bad, but it is a case of getting used to it.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,811 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 05, 2015 16:44 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #2790

Hi Jonathan

Nice to hear from you all. Seems we've all had a few camera changes - I did consider the 6D for the reasons Jonathan has given - I also considered the 5D3, but I put that idea on ice due to the fact that there will probably be a 5D4 soon and the 5D3 will be out. But I like the crop sensor cameras for that extra bit of tele. I have got the feeling I might be using the Av and Tv modes more now because of the useless exposure meter display.

Regards.

Ray-P

sponsored links

786,147 views & 304 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.