Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 05, 2015 17:27 |  #2791

Klystron wrote in post #17367716 (external link)
But have you actually used the 5D3 for fast action shots ?
Have a look at this http://scottkelby.com …-on-the-canon-7d-mark-ii/ (external link)

No, not high speed sports action but FWIW in the discussion down the page you linked Scott says (3months ago) in answer to another poster there:-

Scott Kelby Mod > andrewccm • 3 months ago
Hey Andrew -- The 5D Mark III takes great pictures of whatever you aim it at, for sure (I have one myself and absolutely love it). Like you said, it's not optimal for a primary sports body, but I did use it as a secondary body for a game, and while the fps and buffer killed me, the shots it did get were beautiful. I just need the crutch of something faster. :)

So perhaps horses for courses and hence my comment that a 5D3 and 7D2 are complimentary in the kit bag ;)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

sponsored links
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2015 17:30 as a reply to  @ post 17367788 |  #2792

Totally off topic Ray but I did eventually get an XF - the 3.0 V6 diesel. Absolutely love it!

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 6 years ago by Jonathan.

Jan 05, 2015 17:33 as a reply to  @ post 17367104 |  #2793

You dipstick! Nice to have you back :-) Now all you have to do is post some pictures of Stanners.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 05, 2015 18:18 |  #2794

Ray.Petri wrote in post #17367788 (external link)
Hi Jonathan

Nice to hear from you all. Seems we've all had a few camera changes - I did consider the 6D for the reasons Jonathan has given - I also considered the 5D3, but I put that idea on ice due to the fact that there will probably be a 5D4 soon and the 5D3 will be out. But I like the crop sensor cameras for that extra bit of tele. I have got the feeling I might be using the Av and Tv modes more now because of the useless exposure meter display.

Regards.

If the replacement cycle that brought us the 7D2 is anything to go by then the 5D4 is possible due in 2016???

PS Modern dSLR's are like the 'must have the newest car' was/is still. We do not always need the next better thing but like it anyway. For example my company SEAT Leon is only 105PS (a 1.6 TDI) but I have been awaiting the new one due this month but was given a slighter better budget this time and what is coming is the 1.4 ACT 150PS engine one..............lovel​y new technology where it runs on 2 cylinders at cruising speed between a certain rev range but floor it and in 40ms the other two cut back for full power :) Yes, whizzy new office toy, well I have had this one since May 2010

Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Gallery: 1433 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2015 02:28 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #2795

Jonathan - Congrats on the Jag XF. Are you still in the same neck of the woods? I am on my third XF 3L V6 - I'll love it till I win the lottery, who knows? I almost went down the Aston route and bought an old DB7 as a toy a few weeks ago - but thankfully common sense and reality caught up with me. There is a new Jag saloon promised early this year - the smaller 2L version of it is apparently zero rated for road fund licence. But - having got used to the 3 Litre models I am not too sure - must give it a test drive. However it does come as a 3 litre and is a bit smaller than the XF.

I am waiting to see the posts on the new 100-400L Mk2. I have never been over the moon with the Mk1, although I suppose it was state of the art at the time and possibly as good as you'd get for your money within that budget - although I have hardly used it - it was a 'must have' when I bought it. I like the look of the 200-400L f4 - but I'm afraid common sense and reality mode must kick in.

Ray-P

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2015 02:50 |  #2796

Box Brownie wrote in post #17367909 (external link)
If the replacement cycle that brought us the 7D2 is anything to go by then the 5D4 is possible due in 2016???

PS Modern dSLR's are like the 'must have the newest car' was/is still. We do not always need the next better thing but like it anyway. For example my company SEAT Leon is only 105PS (a 1.6 TDI) but I have been awaiting the new one due this month but was given a slighter better budget this time and what is coming is the 1.4 ACT 150PS engine one..............lovel​y new technology where it runs on 2 cylinders at cruising speed between a certain rev range but floor it and in 40ms the other two cut back for full power :) Yes, whizzy new office toy, well I have had this one since May 2010

I agree with all points - I guess if a new camera takes your fancy go for it when it is first released and get the use out of it from the go, because you'll more than likely only end up with it later anyway. I think I said previously that I did consider the 6D and 5D3 but decided to await the 7D2.

Ray-P

Dr ­ D
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by Dr D.

Jan 06, 2015 04:00 |  #2797

Mike wrote in post #17367104 (external link)
You make a very strong argument for the 6D there JD, interesting. :)

So I picked up my camera on Boxing day with a firm resolution to use it more and promptly dropped it on thekitchen floor. Broke my 24-70L -? Oops a daisy!

Seems to be the season for breaking 24-70's. Went urbexing in a power station in Luxembourg on Sunday and didn't let my eyes adjust before walking into a darkened room. Took 10 steps and promptly fell into a 3 feet hole! Could have been worse - could have been a 30 feet hole - but my lens and tripod took the brunt of the impact. My 24-70 lens hood was bent onto the lens at a 45º angle so it looked like a tilt shift for a while  :p , but once I removed the hood, the lens was unscathed. Full credit to Canon L lenses, that hood saved me a hefty bill. The lens hood only needs a bit of glue but will probably replace it once the finances pick up a bit. The wife took out the front fender of the car yesterday so have a £650 repair bill now...

Dennis
5D2 ▪ 17-40L ▪ 24-70L ▪ 35L ▪ 70-200 2.8L
Flickr (external link)5∞px (external link)photosbydenn.is (external link) [Under construction] ▪ urbex.photosbydenn.is (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2015 06:53 as a reply to  @ Dr D's post |  #2798

Blimey Denis - As you implied, it could have been a worse scenario.

But I'd be a bit worried if I was you - They say things often go in threes!

Don't walk under ladders or beak any mirrors or spill any salt.

Oh, by the way - 'Happy New Year'.

Ray-P

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 06, 2015 09:14 |  #2799

Jonathan wrote in post #17367843 (external link)
You dipstick! Nice to have you back :-) Now all you have to do is post some pictures of Stanners.

Thanks! :D

I'd love to post more pictures of Stanners but I don't live with him any more...I uh...moved out at the end of July...I miss the cat :(

Dr D wrote in post #17368524 (external link)
Mike wrote in post #17367104 (external link)
You make a very strong argument for the 6D there JD, interesting. :)

So I picked up my camera on Boxing day with a firm resolution to use it more and promptly dropped it on thekitchen floor. Broke my 24-70L -? Oops a daisy!

Seems to be the season for breaking 24-70's. Went urbexing in a power station in Luxembourg on Sunday and didn't let my eyes adjust before walking into a darkened room. Took 10 steps and promptly fell into a 3 feet hole! Could have been worse - could have been a 30 feet hole - but my lens and tripod took the brunt of the impact. My 24-70 lens hood was bent onto the lens at a 45º angle so it looked like a tilt shift for a while  :p , but once I removed the hood, the lens was unscathed. Full credit to Canon L lenses, that hood saved me a hefty bill. The lens hood only needs a bit of glue but will probably replace it once the finances pick up a bit. The wife took out the front fender of the car yesterday so have a £650 repair bill now...

Oh, oops!! I think the lens hood saved the lens from worse damage, it still focuses and zooms but part of the barrel is now detached and there's wobble! :/

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 06, 2015 10:22 |  #2800

Crikey!!!! I hope breaking kit is not contagious?

@Dennis ~ crumbs, as you say that could have been far worse........but even a 3ft hole could have had greater consequences so do take care out "there" as camera gear is not intended as a cushion ;)

Richard1959
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 06, 2015 15:26 |  #2801

Ray.Petri wrote in post #17365533 (external link)
OK Klystron, thanks for your comments.

I am aware of the signal shielding effect of the metal body - I spent a lot of my proper job as an EMC consultant on radio stations among other duties connected with cellular radio development and trouble-shooting - but my point is that canon could have easily got over the problem if it wanted to. Although I do see some of the potential problems, possibly noise and patterning on the image etc.

The 6D has a metal body, the WiFi unit sits where the built in flash would normally be (6D does not have a built in flash) this part of the camera is plastic.

The WiFi I have played using a tablet and smart phone with live view it works quite well and I have used it to down load preview shots at an event onto a tablet. I have tried once linking to my home WiFi but the time LR did not support 6D tethering I keep meaning to have another play

Sometimes I take good photos other times !!!!
EOS 5DMkiv EF100-400L f4.5-5.6, EF24-105L f4, EF16-35L f4 EF50 1:1.8 II, EF28 1:2.8 & 580EXII and some triggers. Lightroom & Photoshop CC

My Flickr (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 6 years ago by Martin Dixon.

Jan 07, 2015 05:15 |  #2802

See "DSLR Controller" app for android - I bought this, a recon HUDL, the battery powered wifi router and cables for about £100 and there you are! wifi control - or cable control with liveview etc etc.

You do need to reprogram the wifi router, but following the instructions I managed this easily using only the above devices and a wifi connection.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 14, 2015 13:09 |  #2803

Something I shot last year but not processed till now.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Footprints In The Sand (external link) by Dom Regan Photography (external link), on Flickr

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2015 01:05 as a reply to  @ Ronin Silv's post |  #2804

Blimey Dom - I am absolutely sure it must've been an ocean-going Warewolf - go very careful. Very careful, indeed!

Ray-P

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 16, 2015 05:04 |  #2805

Luckily Ray I know the size of the canine that left these small but she can still be scary at times ߘ

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

785,425 views & 304 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.