Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Custom USB sticks

Dan ­ Kearley
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 03, 2015 17:14 |  #1

I've found some companies selling custom USB keys, etc... but you have to jump thru some hoops to get pricing.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? Let say for a basic logo on 4gig and maybe 16gig sticks?
Thanks!

www.emotionalresponse.​ca (external link)

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2015 17:25 |  #2

Dan Kearley wrote in post #17364427 (external link)
I've found some companies selling custom USB keys, etc... but you have to jump thru some hoops to get pricing.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? Let say for a basic logo on 4gig and maybe 16gig sticks?
Thanks!

Depends what you want them to look like. I do know a local wedding photog offers really nice looking ones with his logo and they run him about $60CAN/piece.

Dan ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 03, 2015 19:37 |  #3

Oh that's quite a bit! I guess I imagined more like 10-15$ each. (maybe when buying 50+, etc)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 03, 2015 20:26 |  #4

www.customusb.com (external link)

Custom made USB drives are expensive and mostly USB 2.0. Spending unnecessary $10+ per each delivery of product to clients could get costly and there are better alternatives.

I think if you are delivering 4 gigs of files you can burn them onto a DVD which costs less than a quarter. You can invest some money into CD/DVD labels and create your own custom labels. You can even put a unique text description on each DVD (ie. Smith Wedding 12/2014 Disc 1).

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 03, 2015 20:28 |  #5

Dan Kearley wrote in post #17364609 (external link)
Oh that's quite a bit! I guess I imagined more like 10-15$ each. (maybe when buying 50+, etc)

I think he only uses the fancy ones for his top tier wedding package so I think he only orders them as he needs them. You can get them for much cheaper deepening on build, logo, and amount of storage.

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,846 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2015 20:37 |  #6

dkizzle wrote in post #17364665 (external link)
www.customusb.com (external link)

Custom made USB drives are expensive and mostly USB 2.0. Spending unnecessary $10+ per each delivery of product to clients could get costly and there are better alternatives.

I think if you are delivering 4 gigs of files you can burn them onto a DVD which costs less than a quarter. You can invest some money into CD/DVD labels and create your own custom labels. You can even put a unique text description on each DVD (ie. Smith Wedding 12/2014 Disc 1).

The problem with distributing photos by DVD now is many of the newer computers and devices people use today no longer come with a DVD reader.

Philip

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 03, 2015 22:20 |  #7

It really depends on quantity of the order, storage volume, and how elaborate the stick is.

I shoot automotive stuff, and many of the OEM's hand out USB sticks at the major auto shows / trade shows with all their press images and info on there. Most of the sticks are 1gb or 2gb sticks, but some are very custom. I guarantee they aren't paying $10 per stick, but they're probably also ordering 1k units at a time.

It's unfortunate that this new forum software doesn't generate the 'similar threads' mini-search at the bottom like the old software did, because this topic comes up quite often. Here's a thread where USB sticks were discussed as an alternative to digital downloads - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1404006 - There's some decent ideas in there about how to execute them.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 05, 2015 22:43 |  #8

Nogo wrote in post #17364686 (external link)
The problem with distributing photos by DVD now is many of the newer computers and devices people use today no longer come with a DVD reader.

Mostly, Quoted for truth. I am now on my 3rd laptop without any disk drive whatsoever. Luckily, I still have a pretty nice desktop with one if I need it, but I am sure there are many people without that option now. Everything has a USB drive, though I imagine that someday we will be talking about delivering photos on something like a custom MicroSD card.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2015 22:48 |  #9

MattPharmD wrote in post #17368309 (external link)
Mostly, Quoted for truth. I am now on my 3rd laptop without any disk drive whatsoever. Luckily, I still have a pretty nice desktop with one if I need it, but I am sure there are many people without that option now. Everything has a USB drive, though I imagine that someday we will be talking about delivering photos on something like a custom MicroSD card.

And some don't even have that. I've found that I am using Dropbox more and more. People are just putting the photos onto a tablet which has no USB at all.

Dan ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2015 17:40 |  #10

I haven't figured out how to subscribe to my own threads yet.
Thanks for this info everyone.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 13, 2015 14:39 |  #11

Just noticed that Bay Photo started offering custom USB sticks...

http://www.bayphoto.co​m …sb-drives-cases/index.htm (external link)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

randizzle
76 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 13, 2015 15:25 |  #12

I got some custom wooden 4GB USB sticks from https://www.usbmemoryd​irect.com/products.htm (external link) and they were about $8 each IIRC when I ordered 50 of them. They look awesome.

Dan ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 13, 2015 19:43 |  #13

Thanks randizzle; I think I'll do the same at some point.

MichaelLynn
253 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 15, 2015 01:48 |  #14

Dan Kearley wrote in post #17369491 (external link)
I haven't figured out how to subscribe to my own threads yet.
Thanks for this info everyone.

me too, have no idea, did you figure it out yet?

Michael Lynn JR.
www.mljlive.com (external link)

tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 15, 2015 09:15 |  #15

I ordered my batch thru USB Memory Direct as well. I picked up (50) 8gig drives w/cases for around $7 each. Originally it was for 4gig but she gave me a free upgrade.

My only regret is that the drives are slowwwwwwww so keep that in mind.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

sponsored links

6,589 views & 1 like for this thread
Custom USB sticks
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.