Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 21 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you style your food?

ericm59
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 21, 2014 11:37 |  #1

Hello everyone,
I've been playing around with food photography for a little bit now and just had a general question. Do you stylize/cook your own food for shooting? How'd you get better at styling? Any recommended books or videos?

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,260 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 21, 2014 22:47 |  #2

I know there are a couple of workshops for sale at http://www.creativeliv​e.com (external link) that focus on food photography. At least one of them uses some styling...

--
Photoblog (external link)
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 21, 2014 23:14 |  #3

If you're just starting out and trying to get practice there are a ton of books on Amazon aimed at food photography and food styling. I imagine it would be cheaper to start there than to hire a stylist.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

ericm59
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 26, 2014 17:26 |  #4

Thanks gentlemen

anliz
75 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2015 03:18 |  #5

Check out foodgawker.com :D

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lupo-Lobo. (2 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2015 03:37 |  #6

"Do you stylize/cook your own food for shooting?"

Yes - it is all I can afford ;-)a Seriously, cooking and styling your own food is a great way to learn and not go hungry. Find a food blogger you like, select a recipe that appeals to you and photograph it - then enjoy eating it.

The Pioneer Woman food blog (external link) is a good site to explore ... some pretty tasty and visually appealing recipes.

Lupo

ericm59
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 08, 2015 20:37 |  #7

Thank you both! :-)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2015 12:56 |  #8

Food Styling for Photographers and The Foodstylists Handbook are both very good. Show you the tricks of the trade, i.e. faking frosting on a glass, replacing ice cream (which melts away fast) with mashed potatoes, create nice sear marks on meat, 'brown' a roast, etc. Some of these make the food inedible though. There are also a couple good books on food photography, just poke around on Amazon, some might even have the 'look inside' feature and the reviews by other readers are always helpful.

Food + Photography = Fun :-P

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

triplethreat
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 14, 2015 08:57 |  #9

This is an area that i certainly lack in. But, I think looking at other's setups and trial and error is a good start

Canon T2i// Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro// Canon Nifty Fifty// Sigma 18-125 HSM// Canon 430EXII
theshortordercook.com

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Gallery: 916 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 02, 2015 20:31 |  #10

I do some food photography for my little blog but I don't go over board and use whatever I have :) This one was accepted by Foodgawker :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 06, 2015 11:57 |  #11

Watch cooking reality tv shows. You can see what lots of other chefs do for styling their food.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2015 15:18 |  #12

I don't think that I have anything on my website that I styled. As a Food Stylist once joked, "It's like a straight man styling Fashion". Besides, I really don't do it well and love collaborating on projects especially when it's for a client. I will stick to what I do well.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2015 19:35 |  #13

Get in touch with a local cooking school/culinary program. The number of chefs that want to transition into food styling has exploded in recent years. Seems there's always someone looking to test.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,892 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

May 05, 2015 15:21 |  #14

I just subscribe to a load of food magazines like Bon Appetit, Saveur and some others from across the pond. I get inspired from them. I dont think you need to take courses. When im shooting for some larger clients i have a stylist come in and love it. If could with her every shoot i would.

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you style your food?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.