Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 02:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Lure of the Dark Side: A Long Time Canon's User's Switch to Nikon D750

golden1245
168 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by golden1245.

Dec 30, 2014 02:18 |  #1

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/16143218161_1b00eca7e7_o.png

http://crashcoursephot​ography.com/nikon-d750-review/ (external link)

Hello everyone, long time no talk on this forum for me. I recently acquired a Nikon D750 and wanted to share my thoughts on it as a long time Canon user. I wrote an article about my experience with a bunch of example photos so that you can see what type of quality images this camera produces. The ergonomics and color curves/tones of the photos are slightly different between the two brands and I hope this write up will help anyone who is thinking about making the switch. It's not meant to be an in depth review, more a general user and shooting experience.

Thanks for looking and let me know what y'all think :)

http://www.crashcourse​photography.com (external link)
Check out my equipment review and how-to articles on this site :)
http://www.ollyyung.co​m (external link)
Personal work!

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 30, 2014 02:30 |  #2

That's a very good users review. As a long time D700 owner that started with Canon and swapped over, but who's since several times dipped back in there for a bargain pro second body, I'm happy using ether brand, but tend to prefer the Nikon usability overall.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Lyn2011
550 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2014 04:16 |  #3

Very interesting review. I'm looking at FF, and sharp images are my first goal. Some people say 5DIII is even better in AF? But I suppose (like everybody else) that Canon brings out a follow up for that one soon.

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2014 14:17 |  #4

Autofocus with center points is excellent on both cameras as both have cross type focus points there. But only the 5D Mark III has cross focus points on their outer focus area.

I use a Kodak Brownie

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,173 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2014 14:42 |  #5

The D750 is a great camera. Looking at shots taken side by side with my 5D3 I'm impressed at the the advantage in dynamic range the Nikon enjoys. I've gone over to Nikon twice before but each time Canon's glass has pulled me back. Nice write up.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

510storm
148 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by 510storm.

Dec 30, 2014 14:47 |  #6

The website isn't loading. Very interested in this write up.

edit: its working now, was down for 5 minutes or so.

PNPhotography
790 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 30, 2014 16:40 |  #7

Great review and great camera! Love my 6D but If I was starting over it would be with Nikon,as Canon is falling farther behind.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 31, 2014 09:33 |  #8

canon rookie wrote in post #17357969 (external link)
Great review and great camera! Love my 6D but If I was starting over it would be with Nikon,as Canon is falling farther behind.

It tends to be cyclical. If you're buying into a system brand new, then yes Nikon looks appealing now. But unless you have a necessity to change, the moment that someone makes a huge wholesale change to the other side, the system you left will see improvements.

I'll be very interested to see if/when Canon puts out a 5DMarkIV and an 1DXMark II how many people who switched to Nikon will switch back.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2015 11:18 |  #9

TMaG82 wrote in post #17358908 (external link)
It tends to be cyclical. If you're buying into a system brand new, then yes Nikon looks appealing now. But unless you have a necessity to change, the moment that someone makes a huge wholesale change to the other side, the system you left will see improvements.

I'll be very interested to see if/when Canon puts out a 5DMarkIV and an 1DXMark II how many people who switched to Nikon will switch back.

It used to be cyclical, but Canon has been behind Nikon for several years. Canon stays in somewhat competitive because of their lens lineup and the fact that overall quality of their product is better. Nikon has had problems with every full frame camera they've released in the past couple of years. It's interesting to look at Canon's ads. Once upon a time their ads stressed the superiority of their camera's features like having 24 mp in the 1DS when Nikon topped out at 12. Or shooting at 10fps with the 1D Mark III. Now their ads talk about what a great lens line up they have and how their customer service is superior. Canon knows they're behind but what are they going to do about it - come out with a 50mp camera with poor dynamic range?

I use a Kodak Brownie

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2015 11:24 |  #10

Jon_Doh wrote in post #17367297 (external link)
It used to be cyclical, but Canon has been behind Nikon for several years. ...

I'd argue that Nikon was far behind Canon in digital from 2001-2008. It was not at all cyclical during that extended period. The cyclical nature is that now Nikon has been ahead for sensors (since using SONY) for the last few years.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,206 posts
Gallery: 408 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 05, 2015 11:45 |  #11

Nice article! I too found this to be a pain:

....But once again, it also takes two hands to change autofocus modes and choose focus points. Changing white balance also requires two hands! This is was very counterintuitive for me....

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by JeffreyG. (2 edits in all)

Jan 05, 2015 18:35 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17367303 (external link)
I'd argue that Nikon was far behind Canon in digital from 2001-2008. It was not at all cyclical during that extended period. The cyclical nature is that now Nikon has been ahead for sensors (since using SONY) for the last few years.

Right on the money here.

For seven years, Nikon offered nothing but 1.5X sensor size and used a CCD technology that was much noisier than Canon. Canon's 1.6X format sensors offered a significant (1 stop?) noise advantage over Nikon at what was high ISO back then (ISO 800) and Canon's FF sensors were another stop better than that. Canon's $3000 5D camera beat the Nikon D2 and D2x in noise by a lot. The whole time, Nikon said that 1.5X was the future and that there was no point in making 35mm sensors.

And yet Nikon hung on. Some folks didn't care about what was high ISO at the time (ISO 800-1600) and some folks were probably unaware how big the difference was. Not everyone hangs around POTN, FM, and dpReview.

I think Nikon does have an advantage now in low ISO DR. If I had to put it in context, I think this competitive difference is smaller than the high ISO noise difference from 2001-2008 in terms of users who care, and the difference has persisted now for just a couple years. I think the 'cycles' if they exist move more slowly than people tend to expect, and that the vast bulk of customers are completely unaware of what the small, vocal minority think of as a crippling handicap.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 05, 2015 23:49 |  #13

I'd say Nikon was certainly behind Canon for their entire camera range between 2004 to 2008. Canon was still using CCD's in certain cameras (like the 1D) up to 2004, and early CMOS sensors weren't all that much better than CCD, but I think that was mainly due to CCD being a much more mature technology. Canon did a great job taking a much cheaper technology (CMOS) and developing it to the point it was clearly superior to CCD.

It's pretty clear that in 2008 Nikon using Sony CMOS sensors started pulling ahead of Canon with regards to sensor development. It's interesting though that it took Sony 2-3 years to catch up to Nikon to get similar results from their own cameras. :-)

Some of the newer Nikons like the D7100 and D5200 are using Toshiba CMOS sensors. Based on what I saw from the D7100 files I played with I think Sony has some serious competition.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 08:40 |  #14

I agree in the digital era began Nikon was behind Canon in sensors, but I'm an old timer and I was thinking back to even the film years. Back then Nikon would jump ahead with a camera and then Canon would leap frog them with some new feature and so on. There was a cycle, but now Nikon keeps coming out with cameras with not only better sensors, but more features in general. Canon seems pleased to offer incremental upgrades and rest on their extensive lens lineup and perhaps better quality control. They haven't had the problems Nikon has had with their 600/610, 800/810 and 750 cameras.

All in all I think the 5D Mark III hits a lot of buttons - not too many megapixels to choke an average computer, cross sensors in the outer focus points and a nice bright view finder. But, compared to the competition it's (to me) a bit overpriced for this feature set. That and I wish it had spot focus on the outer focus points. Nikon puts that on their lower end cameras.

I use a Kodak Brownie

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2015 09:30 |  #15

As a person who worked with both Canon sensor (5D3) and Sony Sensor (A7R), I can tell you that working with the Sony Sensor is so much cleaner and easier. For someone who enjoy landscape photography, I don't even bring my 5D3 with me anymore. It on wildlife and sport duty only. I am only 1 lens away to abandon my DSLR and go fully mirrorless.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links

9,075 views & 3 likes for this thread
The Lure of the Dark Side: A Long Time Canon's User's Switch to Nikon D750
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.