Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

shadows?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by jeljohns. (3 edits in all)

Jan 03, 2015 18:44 |  #1

I'm trying *really* hard to learn about flash. I've read all the Strobist stuff and just finished Zak's One Light DVD.

Just fooling around with a 24" QBox on camera left....why is there a big shadow on the wall? Is it because the subject is so close to the wall? Also the shine spots on the forehead bug me. Clearly this is underexposed, but I'm trying to understand how like works and all its quirks.

It's like learning Portuguese for me!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7462/16003531669_3eea2c9056_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jeljohns/16003​531669/  (external link)
P78A2341.jpg (external link) by jeljohns25 (external link) on Flickr

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 03, 2015 18:58 |  #2

the shine (specular highlight) might be cause by oily skin, only way to cure that is with some powder make up or a shower. :P

or it might be caused by having the light too far back. The Qbox 24 is not really a huge box so having it in as close as possible increases it's apparent size.

or it might be a combination of the two.

as for the shadow, yes, the subject is too close to the wall to expect there to be no shadow.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 03, 2015 22:32 |  #3

Thanks! Makes sense.

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 04, 2015 06:44 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #4

Its a big shadow because it is also a big guy. ;-)a

If you want less blocking of light you have up the light or if it is a small room point the bare flash to the upper left corner behind you and increase the power output.

digadv
427 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 04, 2015 06:45 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #5

Not to make things more complicated, but read up on the Inverse-Square Law as it explains the relationship of light intensity vs. distance.

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 04, 2015 10:45 |  #6

digadv wrote in post #17365250 (external link)
Not to make things more complicated, but read up on the Inverse-Square Law as it explains the relationship of light intensity vs. distance.

This right here will help explain to you why the inverse-square law makes sense.

Karl Taylor provides a good explanation.

In short, closer light = bigger apparent source and softer falloff of light.

Far light=smaller apparent source and more harsh/drastic/distinct​/hard falloff of light.

Far light in a small 24" box is like a focused beam vs a close 24" box that's like a flood light.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=373eg4BW-NM (external link)

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by oldvultureface.

Jan 04, 2015 11:47 as a reply to  @ DisrupTer911's post |  #7

All else being equal, one has less fall-off at greater distances. Consider a light source at one meter. At two meters, two stops are lost.
With a light at eight meters, two stops are lost at sixteen meters. Fall-off is greater the nearer the light is to the subject.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2015 12:03 |  #8

I have read about inverse square over and over.....and my brain just doesn't seem to get it. -?

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 04, 2015 12:16 |  #9

jeljohns wrote in post #17365620 (external link)
I have read about inverse square over and over.....and my brain just doesn't seem to get it. -?

Zack did a pretty good job of explaining it. Start by putting your softbox 2 feet away from the subject, then 3, then 4, then 6 and watch the explanation again with your photos to look at.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

tsilva
53 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2015 23:52 |  #10

jeljohns wrote in post #17365620 (external link)

Start here -
http://blog.snapfactor​y.com/?p=1758 (external link)

Then take a look at the rest of the Mark Wallace videos -
http://blog.snapfactor​y.com/?page_id=2228 (external link)

And
http://blog.snapfactor​y.com/?page_id=2237 (external link)

Have fun

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 05, 2015 06:10 |  #11

TerryMiller wrote in post #17365636 (external link)
Zack did a pretty good job of explaining it. Start by putting your softbox 2 feet away from the subject, then 3, then 4, then 6 and watch the explanation again with your photos to look at.

Better still, do the same thing but have your light at 2ft, 2.8ft (2'9½"), 4ft, 5.6ft (5'7¼"), 8ft, 11ft and even 16ft if you can manage.
Familiar numbers?
Yup.
Existe uma relação direta entre a distância, luz cair e abertura. ;-)a

A shadow is always positioned exactly on the extended line from light source through subject, on the side away from the light source.
The SIZE of the shadow is very little to do with the physical size of the light source but everything to do with the APPARENT size of the light. Stand facing a mirror with your hand out-stretched so it nearly touches the mirror. The hand appears MUCH bigger than your head. Now, without moving your feet, put your hand next to your head and it appears smaller than your head. All that has changed is the APPARENT size of the hand, controlled by relative distances.

Hence a large softbox will give you a smaller shadow than a small softbox would at the same distance. Conversely, if you had a very small light source really close to the subject, you could get a massive shadow.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 06, 2015 14:00 as a reply to  @ TerryMiller's post |  #12

Great idea! Thanks!

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 06, 2015 14:25 as a reply to  @ tsilva's post |  #13

Awesome video for visual learners. Thanks!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,840 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 07, 2015 13:10 |  #14

Whortleberry wrote in post #17366945 (external link)
The SIZE of the shadow is very little to do with the physical size of the light source but everything to do with the APPARENT size of the light. Stand facing a mirror with your hand out-stretched so it nearly touches the mirror. The hand appears MUCH bigger than your head. Now, without moving your feet, put your hand next to your head and it appears smaller than your head. All that has changed is the APPARENT size of the hand, controlled by relative distances.

Hence a large softbox will give you a smaller shadow than a small softbox would at the same distance. Conversely, if you had a very small light source really close to the subject, you could get a massive shadow.

Much more important than the 'size' of shadow, are the characteristics of the shadow penumbra (or 'edge') ...a 'larger' (apparent size) of light source results in softer (or almost non-existent) edge to the shadow.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Papercover.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/10footsoftboxb.jpg

In addition, distance to source is a very important determinant to contrast of lighting, as demonstrated by these two photos

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Lightdistance-2.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Lightdistance-1.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by travisvwright.

Jan 07, 2015 13:18 |  #15

Intensities aside in this shot you can just raise the light (what I think mmmfotographie was saying). So the shadow doesn't hit the wall. It won't change the characteristic of light on the subject much (maybe more of a shadow under the jaw line but that shouldn't be a bad thing).

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links

3,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
shadows?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.