Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto 410 Mini Geared Head for me?

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 14:53 |  #1

I've been looking at getting a new tripod head and I'm wondering if other members can share their experience with the Manfrotto 410 Mini Geared Head to help me determine if it is right for me. I shoot with the 5D3, 24-105, 70-200 F2.8 and the 100-400 V2. The use would be mostly for travel. Landscapes, long exposures and general low light situations. I've been wanting to do panoramas for a while but my ball head just isn't cutting it for that purpose. Would the 410 be a good choice for panoramas? I'd also like to know how this head would work in an occasional wildlife setting where manipulations would have to be fairly quick. Suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Thanks!!!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links
PCousins
688 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 06, 2015 15:29 |  #2

Hi nqjudo,

I have owned the Manfrotto 410 for nearly 3 years. Each of my camera bodies has a 410PL quick release plate connected. I also have 410PL plates connected to the foots on my 70-200L, 200L & 100L Macro lens. Because I use my tripod a lot I have every combination that will allow me to connect to my 410 head. I love the 3-way geared head motion, it's easy to adjust has smooth movement and locks in tight.

This tripod head is spot on for close up work or where you need a high degree of adjustment and for the head to stay where you want it, without it creeping or moving. Not the cheapest head around, but definitely worth it! It is extremely well engineered and solid and is very easily and precisely adjusted. Once set for a picture it is rock solid and just doesn't move unless you want it to.

The ability to adjust quickly and then fine tune with the gearing is fantastic with no slippage whatsoever. Of course its not light but you feel like you have a thoroughly engineered bit of kit.

I use mine for all styles of photography, it can easily take the weight of my 1ds3 with 200 f/2 and extender and see no problem with a gripped 5d3 & 100-400 v2 as you have.

Gear List

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 15:35 |  #3

PCousins wrote in post #17369329 (external link)
Hi nqjudo,

I have owned the Manfrotto 410 for nearly 3 years. Each of my camera bodies has a 410PL quick release plate connected. I also have 410PL plates connected to the foots on my 70-200L, 200L & 100L Macro lens. Because I use my tripod a lot I have every combination that will allow me to connect to my 410 head. I love the 3-way geared head motion, it's easy to adjust has smooth movement and locks in tight.

This tripod head is spot on for close up work or where you need a high degree of adjustment and for the head to stay where you want it, without it creeping or moving. Not the cheapest head around, but definitely worth it! It is extremely well engineered and solid and is very easily and precisely adjusted. Once set for a picture it is rock solid and just doesn't move unless you want it to.

The ability to adjust quickly and then fine tune with the gearing is fantastic with no slippage whatsoever. Of course its not light but you feel like you have a thoroughly engineered bit of kit.

I use mine for all styles of photography, it can easily take the weight of my 1ds3 with 200 f/2 and extender and see no problem with a gripped 5d3 & 100-400 v2 as you have.

Completely agree with all the above points, really I would be lost without mine.
Its rock solid, does not move the only drawback is its a bit heavy

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

nqjudo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 16:39 |  #4

PCousins wrote in post #17369329 (external link)
Hi nqjudo,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Looking at reviews this head seems to be popular with macro photographers. Do any macro work yourself? I'm considering looking into a focusing rail system as well.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 06, 2015 18:32 |  #5

I use 410, 405 and 400 heads regularly with track and field photo finish and by far the best of the 3 is the 400 head. It'd want to be too for the price. The 410 is still a good little head in comparison to any other 3 way or ball head if you want to be able to fine tune your position but it is nowhere near as fine as the 405 and the 400 is even easier to make fine adjustments. The 410 is decent value for money though.

We've also experienced a fair bit of wear in the gearing mechanism in our 410's. This becomes evident when trying to make a very small adjustment, particularly when reversing direction to come back a tiny bit. For reference, they've been in use for around 5 years somewhere around 30-50 times per year. When used they are adjusted to get the camera into alignment and then once set are not touched for the rest of the day.

Gear List

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2015 18:38 |  #6

I have also been using the 410 head for several years and I value it very highly. It's much more controllable than any ball head I've used, and although it is used very often and spends a lot of time in the back of the car, it hasn't given any trouble. My only real criticism is that the QR plate is a clunky thing and added to the bottom of various lenses they take up a lot of space. I'd love to see Manfrotto turn out a geared head with an Arca-Swiss compatible QR plate!

Growing old disgracefully!

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 06, 2015 19:16 |  #7

I have had my 410 for quite a while and find it to be very good. My only 2 criticisms are the 410 QR plate and the controls can get rather stiff with top heavy cameras.
The first criticism is easily cured by simply attaching an Arca style QR plate to the Manfrotto 410 plate with the supplied 3/8 screw. Normally this would not b an ideal solution but I find that it works well and is pretty rigid. The second point is down to my camera. I use a Canon 1DX which is pretty heavy even before you put a lens on it! In practice this means that the vertical adjustment can be a little stiff, which control this is depends on camera orientation. When I use larger lenses (such as a 70-200 F2.8 L IS) this is not a problem as the setup is better balanced by mounting the lens on the head rather than the camera.
Whilst I like this head, and thoroughly recommend it for landscape and Macro work, it is not the best choice for wildlife. Whilst you can release any of the 3 controls quickly and re-compose you may have to do this 3 times to get a shot properly framed - wildlife simply isn't going to hang around while you are faffing about. The 410 is a great head and very good value for money but it cannot compare to a Gimbal (even a cheap one) for wildlife.
For landscapes etc it is my first choice, for wildlife you (or at least I) need a much faster responding tripod head.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

nqjudo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 19:35 |  #8

Thanks for all your replies. Considering all the advice vs my intended and frequency of use I've decided to give one a try. So far prices seem to be about the same at all the usual suppliers.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 06, 2015 19:46 |  #9

Despite my reservations about using the 410 for wildlife it is a great head and simply unrivaled at the price. The precision of framing that it allows is just the thing for landscapes/macro which is why I use mine so much!

nqjudo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2015 21:02 |  #10

Ordered!!! Thanks everyone!

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2015 07:42 |  #11

You won't regret it, it's a well built and accurate head worth every penny.

I can only echo what everyone else has said, I've been very happy with mine for landscape and macro for the past 3 years.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2015 13:48 |  #12

Glad to see this thread, and the replies herein.

I'm considering getting a new tripod with this head on it, primarily for architectural work. Seems like it should be a good fit for that, but I'd be curious to see if anyone has specific experience with it in that area.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 08, 2015 15:29 |  #13

jsvphoto wrote in post #17372602 (external link)
Glad to see this thread, and the replies herein.

I'm considering getting a new tripod with this head on it, primarily for architectural work. Seems like it should be a good fit for that, but I'd be curious to see if anyone has specific experience with it in that area.

That is my main use for the head.
I cannot conceive of using a TS-E lens without one.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2015 19:11 |  #14

+1!

I don't have a TSE lens, but for any situation that requires accurate framing the 410 is the cheapest head that does the job properly. The 405 is a little nicer but considerably more expensive.

PCousins
688 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 08, 2015 19:30 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #15

Yes johnf3f I agree. When I finally get around to affording a 400 f2.8 I will certainly go for the 405 but still keeping the 410 for my smaller lenses.

Gear List

sponsored links

5,566 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 410 Mini Geared Head for me?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.