Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading from Canon Xsi to

Mudhog79
232 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Mudhog79.

Jan 06, 2015 10:18 |  #1

I am looking at the 60D or the T5i. I am not seeing much on here for the 60D any reason for that? It looks like the 60D may be a better build than the T5i. Any input of advice is appreciated. My Xsi works great but anything much over an ISO of 400 gets pretty noisy. I have seen a pretty good deal on an import model of the 60D is this a bad idea? I take good care of all my equipment.

Thanks

ETA: update my original ISO exaggeration of 100.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EFS 55-250mm IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EFS 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS, 430 EXII Speedlite, Fiesol 3441T, Photo Clam PC-40NS
FramedMoments (external link)

sponsored links
mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 06, 2015 11:11 |  #2

ISO 200-400 on an xsi should not be pretty noisey by any means. Are you under exposing and then pushing the exposure in post on ISO 200+ shots?

I am reluctant to recommend anything if ISO 200 noise is bothering you as noise at ISO 400 and below really hasn't changed much over the recent Canon DSLR's as the focus has been lower high ISO noise, better video, better auto focus etc..

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2015 11:27 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Weird. The XSi produces perfectly usable images in the ISO 100-400 range. At 800 it does get noticeably noisy. Images are unusable at ISO 1600.

Can't really recommend either of those cameras: the 60D has more features and seems to have a better build, whereas the T5i has a newer sensor.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by watt100.

Jan 06, 2015 12:18 |  #4

Mudhog79 wrote in post #17368880 (external link)
I am looking at the 60D or the T5i. I am not seeing much on here for the 60D any reason for that? It looks like the 60D may be a better build than the T5i. Any input of advice is appreciated. My Xsi works great but anything much over an ISO of 100 gets pretty noisy. I have seen a pretty good deal on an import model of the 60D is this a bad idea? I take good care of all my equipment.

Thanks

Alveric wrote in post #17368993 (external link)
Weird. The XSi produces perfectly usable images in the ISO 100-400 range. At 800 it does get noticeably noisy. Images are unusable at ISO 1600.

Can't really recommend either of those cameras: the 60D has more features and seems to have a better build, whereas the T5i has a newer sensor.

strange, my old Rebel XSi /450D produced clean "usable" images at ISO 1600

Maybe Canon gave me a different sensor in my XSI !

XSi
Tamron 17-50 2.8
ISO 1600

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4023/4475367049_f5dde4fcd9_b.jpg

Mudhog79
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2015 19:24 |  #5

Edited my original post fix my low ISO exaggeration. Honestlly over 400 say 600 or 800 I feel like the noise is bad. I will post some examples. Hoping one of these other cameras will do better. Any suggestions?

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EFS 55-250mm IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EFS 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS, 430 EXII Speedlite, Fiesol 3441T, Photo Clam PC-40NS

Mudhog79
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2015 19:25 |  #6

mrfixitx wrote in post #17368976 (external link)
ISO 200-400 on an xsi should not be pretty noisey by any means. Are you under exposing and then pushing the exposure in post on ISO 200+ shots?

I am reluctant to recommend anything if ISO 200 noise is bothering you as noise at ISO 400 and below really hasn't changed much over the recent Canon DSLR's as the focus has been lower high ISO noise, better video, better auto focus etc..

This is a possibility let me check and post an example.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 06, 2015 19:33 |  #7

60D has the same battery as the 7D and 5DII and onwards. Top LCD screen. Bit of an in-between camera between consumer and semi-pro models. If you can get one, they're a step up from the rebels mostly because of that bigger battery, pretty cheap these days too. Gray vs. white market is a separate and personal choice, pros and cons either way that I won't get into.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 07, 2015 07:16 |  #8

The 60D and the T5i are going to have basically the same noise performance so if cost is not an issues I would recommend the 60D due to better ergonomics, better build quality, and the added features of the XXD series.

Noise at ISO 800-1600 will be somewhat better than the XSI but not hugely improved. The biggest difference is that even though overall noise may not be dramatically better with 18MP vs. 16mp when printing or sharing online it will be less noticeable due to higher pixel density. Similiar to how some camera's used "Pixel binning" to reduce noise on high ISO shots by only offering a reduced resolution output at higher ISO's.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading from Canon Xsi to
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.