Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Giving Likes for compliments on images. Hmm.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,052 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 06, 2015 19:41 |  #1

I wouldn't call this an outright ethics violation, but it seems like bad manners or something. A few members who post photos and get a string of replies give a Like to each person who said something nice. Maybe they do so because it's quicker than posting a thank you to each one, I don't know. I've seen it on two forums so far.

Why not do it? Because a member's total of Likes creates a sort of reputation. People will learn that they can accumulate Likes by complimenting So-and-So, without making an actual contribution by displaying their own excellent photos, giving helpful answers to questions, making good points in discussions, and so on. Some might take advantage by making favorable comments with the expectation of a reward.

It also seems narcissistic.

Opinions, please?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
EchoShotz
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jan 06, 2015 19:44 |  #2

Its a pretty common thing on social media to simply "like" or "favorite" on comment/tweet giving compliments, its just kinda quicker and easier.

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2015 19:56 |  #3

Isn't narcissism what drives most of social media? I mean look at the "selfie" - look at me, I'm ... A lot of the main stream drive on social media isn't about sharing ideas and discussions, it's about making sure everyone sees that you've eaten somewhere besides McDonalds for a change, or that you've gone to some cool hipster place to pretend you're one of the enlightened ones.

JR / flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,360 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 06, 2015 19:58 |  #4

I just "liked" your post.

Is that bad?

:twisted:

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 06, 2015 20:12 |  #5

I don't "like" anything. If I have something to add I will do so but to just "like" something is pointless to me.

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
19,052 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 06, 2015 20:46 |  #6

Bad Habit wrote in post #17369760 (external link)
Isn't narcissism what drives most of social media? I mean look at the "selfie" - look at me, I'm ...

It may well be. I'm not familiar first-hand with social media. But POTN isn't a social medium, I hope?

LV Moose wrote in post #17369764 (external link)
I just "liked" your post.

Is that bad?

Not if you "liked" it because you agreed with it or because you were understandably dazzled by the eloquence of my discourse.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 06, 2015 21:02 |  #7

Says the guy with 117 likes.  :p

The number of likes a member has isn't displayed anywhere else besides the member's page, viewable only by clicking on the member's page and then scrolling down and locating it. I don't see how it affects reputation or perceived reputation, it's too hard to find and requires clicking on every single member to find out.

Whereas post count is still seen by many internet forum users as an indication of reputation, regardless of actual content contributed, quality of posts, membership involvement, knowledge, experience, help offered and so on, and it is still prominently displayed along side every post (length of post permitting) easy to see. Same with the association with join dates.

I've seen many members with low post counts and new join dates post the most technical, accurate, helpful, knowledgable and great content as posters with several thousand posts. The same will be true with liked posts, we will see those with few liked posts who are great members regardless of their number of liked posts.

If they want to form an opinion of one's reputation based on their number of likes, that can be a positive or negative association. Maybe they'll see those with really high numbers of liked posts as attention fiends, or abusers of the system like you pointed out as being a possibility. The same way really high post counts can be construed as someone who posts anything at all simply to raise their total post count. Or the way those with old join dates and low post counts are viewed as short mythical creatures who live underneath bridges in children's fairy tales. Any perception of reputation based on likes, posts or join dates, anything besides the member's actual contributions is probably very wrong anyway.

I think most will still form an idea of a member's reputation based on helpful posts, advice offered, feedback, member's whos photographic work they enjoy, or even just enjoying their style of posts/humor/viewpoints​/knowledge/experience etc, irrespective of their number of liked posts, post count, join date, gallery size, equipment list or any other arbitrary non-quality-of-character identifications.

I think it will sort itself out.

Personally I'll like a post for several reasons, if the content was posted some time ago, or is several pages back, or the user doesn't log in very much, but I still want to say "that's great, I like it, well done" and let that member know.

flickr (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,391 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 06, 2015 21:15 |  #8

First World problems.

T.D.
33,601 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 06, 2015 21:53 |  #9

OhLook wrote in post #17369727 (external link)
I wouldn't call this an outright ethics violation, but it seems like bad manners or something. A few members who post photos and get a string of replies give a Like to each person who said something nice. Maybe they do so because it's quicker than posting a thank you to each one, I don't know. I've seen it on two forums so far.

Why not do it? Because a member's total of Likes creates a sort of reputation. People will learn that they can accumulate Likes by complimenting So-and-So, without making an actual contribution by displaying their own excellent photos, giving helpful answers to questions, making good points in discussions, and so on. Some might take advantage by making favorable comments with the expectation of a reward.

It also seems narcissistic.

Opinions, please?

I'm not sure why you would even consider this in the realm of "ethics violation." The "like" feature is a quick way Pekka built into the system to allow you to offer some level of feedback. People can choose to write more, but choosing not to is a personal decision.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 06, 2015 22:03 |  #10

Likes are for facebook, not here.

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
19,052 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 06, 2015 22:27 |  #11

T.D. wrote in post #17369954 (external link)
I'm not sure why you would even consider this in the realm of "ethics violation."

Partly because the idea of "paying" someone for praise is offputting and partly because members could praise someone's photos just to get Like points, regardless of their true opinion of the photos.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 07, 2015 08:18 |  #12

It's childish. Much like another forum that offers "karma," the intention is good, but much like that other forum, it will be bastardized.

The person who spends an hour typing out an answer to help another member will get very little, if any, likes. But the person who posts the picture of the young honey in garter and nylons, with silicone-injected globes stuffed into a too-small bra will get a million.

Just wait, you'll see.

Website (external link) |

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 07, 2015 14:29 |  #13

You made this thread 18 hours ago. Then 16 hours ago (after you made this thread) you liked a post. :lol:

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17369998

flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by xpfloyd. (2 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2015 14:40 |  #14

I often click like on peoples comments when they compliment a photo I post to let them know that I have seen their comment. Im not doing it to build up my like count, im doing it as its polite IMO.

The flip side of your argument can be made i.e. instead of people clicking like they are posting inane comments which subsequently increases their post count.

Same difference. Both irrelevant.

The function is there so why not use it?

(PS - How do you even check the number of likes??)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 07, 2015 14:47 |  #15

xpfloyd wrote in post #17371044 (external link)
I often click like on peoples comments when they compliment a photo I post to let them know that I have seen their comment. Im not doing it to build up my like count, im doing it as its polite IMO.

The flip side of your argument can be made i.e. instead of people clicking like they are posting inane comments which subsequently increases their post count.

Same difference. Both irrelevant.

The function is there so why not use it?

(PS - How do you even check the number of likes??)

You would have to go to the user's member page. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links

6,425 views & 20 likes for this thread
Giving Likes for compliments on images. Hmm.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.