Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigh..Adorama..selling and "trying" to buy used.

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 07, 2015 11:35 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Don't waste time on re-selling it back to these rip-off places. sell it on craigslist you will get more .

sponsored links
TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 07, 2015 12:04 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Bearmann wrote in post #17370679 (external link)
So maybe the lens you received should have been rated lower due to the "super stiff focusing ring". The remainder of the description seems to fit the E- category.

As to the trade in lens, I think that the salesman assumed that he would probably not be able to sell your Vivitar lens. I think he was just giving you a $15 discount on the new lens. So the f2.5 version is priced at $70. That doesn't mean he will get $70 for it. Someone will want to negotiate on the price. Adorama is unlikly to get an ebay price for a non-premium lens. After all, they only get much less than 1% of the shoppers that ebay gets so there is much less demand. Even if he is lucky enough to find a buyer for it, you can't expect him to hold a lens for years only to make $10 profit on it. If you sell it on ebay, be sure and come back and tell us what your profit was after all fees, shipping, etc. In addition, you had to compose an ad, pack it up, etc. I think that your expectations were unrealistic.

This is getting boring...I have over 138 feedbacks on Ebay. I have no problems selling my camera gear on ebay. In fact, gear I tried to sell here....they would end up being sold on Ebay instead because too many lowballers on the message boards in general. Do a search here and you would find that I have a Olympus OM2n kit FS ad. Well, I received no interests but ended up selling it for $115 on Ebay. Hehehehe....:) I increased the price a bit more to cover the fees but eventually it was sold.

Again, when I said I could sell it on Ebay, I could sell it on ebay and getting a lot more than 10 cents, or even $15. :) I could price this lens for $40 and it would be sold in few days. After all the fees and shipping (I have plenty of boxes at home), I get about $29. Anyone buying this lens will be ecstatic because this lens is in NEW condition with box and warranty papers.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 07, 2015 12:26 |  #18

Of course you're not going to get a good price from them -- they have to re-sell it and make money. I took a 70-200 L I (in I would say almost pristine condition) in to B&H and got what I felt was an atrociously low bid from them, based on what I was seeing in the used market. I ended up selling it on E-Bay for a good couple hundred more. Of course, I was terrified until the money was safely in my account with no hitches.

So you can go with the "sure thing" and receive less money, but keep your stress level down or go for the gamble and possibly get more money, but also possibly get ripped off.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 07, 2015 12:41 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

AlFooteIII wrote in post #17370829 (external link)
Of course you're not going to get a good price from them -- they have to re-sell it and make money. I took a 70-200 L I (in I would say almost pristine condition) in to B&H and got what I felt was an atrociously low bid from them, based on what I was seeing in the used market. I ended up selling it on E-Bay for a good couple hundred more. Of course, I was terrified until the money was safely in my account with no hitches.

So you can go with the "sure thing" and receive less money, but keep your stress level down or go for the gamble and possibly get more money, but also possibly get ripped off.

It wasn't the offer I was upset about since I expected it but his reaction when I asked if he could do a bit better. Then, out of nowhere, he basically said that my lens is worthless and I should be lucky enough to receive his $15 offer. Hahahaha..... He should have explained why he couldn't make me a better offer (ie, the price is set by the computer or the type the lens the store isn't looking for). Sigh..... Next time, I made sure I would stay out of his department....that after taste is still lingering.....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jan 07, 2015 13:01 |  #20

TooManyShots wrote in post #17370776 (external link)
...Again, when I said I could sell it on Ebay, I could sell it on ebay and getting a lot more than 10 cents, or even $15. :) I could price this lens for $40 and it would be sold in few days. After all the fees and shipping (I have plenty of boxes at home), I get about $29. Anyone buying this lens will be ecstatic because this lens is in NEW condition with box and warranty papers.

Well, if Adorama bought the lens from you for $15 and sold it for $40, that would leave them with $25. Take out business overhead, and that leaves them with $10-15 profit. Not unreasonable, I don't think.

Now if you weren't treated with respect and courtesy, that is a different matter altogether. Rudeness is not acceptable.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 07, 2015 13:06 |  #21

Yeah the 10 cent comment was unwarranted. Very strange. But, it IS NYC. lol

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,794 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 09, 2015 15:49 |  #22

When I do buy used, it's in this order:

KEH.com

B&H Photo

Adorama

While KEH.com is a tad bit higher overall on similar items the condition ratings are far more conservative which balances out the purchase.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by eth3rton.

Jan 10, 2015 11:50 |  #23

Ron Bailey wrote in post #17370058 (external link)
:eek: Did you really say that you wish you had more shopping choices?!?!:eek:

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii with zero shopping choices. Oh wait, I have the internet. :-P

I truly feel sorry for your situation... Looks out window at 20 degree weather...lol ;-)a

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,089 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 11, 2015 16:38 |  #24

eth3rton wrote in post #17375548 (external link)
I truly feel sorry for your situation... Looks out window at 20 degree weather...lol ;-)a

LOL! Yeah, it is kind off difficult to feel sorry for us. I don't miss the shopping opportunities at all. Internet shopping for gear is what I've always done so no change for me when we moved out here over 2 1/2 years ago.

Sunny today with blue sky and big, white fluffy clouds. 74 degrees right now with a slight trade wind.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 12, 2015 15:53 |  #25

I'm really surprised some people don't have a clue on how to run a business.
Running your own personal ebay is NOT the same as running a business like Adorama.
I agree the service provided was below par with what someone would expect from Adorama but trying put down a reputable company because you were not happy with the valuation of your gear is just ridiculous.

In the first place, if you wanted to nickel and dime someone for your old gear, then you should have sold it your self using eBay and craigslist. You wanted to dispose of a gear that potentially will not be sold through Adorama's sales channel and you try to put a bad name for them because of that?

Have you considered how much time and money is involved on putting that old gear to their inventory, customer service, posting an ad, packaging, shipping, accounting, etc?

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2015 16:26 |  #26

545iBMW wrote in post #17379321 (external link)
I'm really surprised some people don't have a clue on how to run a business.
Running your own personal ebay is NOT the same as running a business like Adorama.
I agree the service provided was below par with what someone would expect from Adorama but trying put down a reputable company because you were not happy with the valuation of your gear is just ridiculous.

In the first place, if you wanted to nickel and dime someone for your old gear, then you should have sold it your self using eBay and craigslist. You wanted to dispose of a gear that potentially will not be sold through Adorama's sales channel and you try to put a bad name for them because of that?

Have you considered how much time and money is involved on putting that old gear to their inventory, customer service, posting an ad, packaging, shipping, accounting, etc?

Did you read the OPs comments, like a few posts back where he said:

It wasn't the offer I was upset about since I expected it but his reaction when I asked if he could do a bit better.

If Adorama wants to deal in used gear then they need to be professional about it. If it is not worth it to them then they should move on. Someone asking if they can do better on an offer shouldn't lead to rude comments.

I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't even consider starting this thread if he is treated civilly, regardless of the offer they made.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,735 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 13, 2015 08:24 |  #27

Maybe it was an attempt at Borscht Belt humor that went over your head.

If a lens sells for $40, expect to be offered at least 50 percent less, if not more. They have a store, rent, salaries and a lot of other things.

So they offered you fifteen bucks. Would 20 have made the deal? Five bucks difference? Twenty five?

Get real.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,432 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 14, 2015 10:35 |  #28

nqjudo wrote in post #17370477 (external link)
...Why are people willing to dump gear at B&H when they could easily make more selling elsewhere? If someone were to offer me a used lens at a price B&H would pay for it I'd ask some serious questions about that lens...

I've talked to one gentleman that did just that because he did not want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell his 500 f4 IS lens. He accepted the fact that he would not gain as much profit.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,432 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 14, 2015 10:37 |  #29

Bearmann wrote in post #17370679 (external link)
So maybe the lens you received should have been rated lower due to the "super stiff focusing ring". The remainder of the description seems to fit the E- category.

As to the trade in lens, I think that the salesman assumed that he would probably not be able to sell your Vivitar lens. I think he was just giving you a $15 discount on the new lens. So the f2.5 version is priced at $70. That doesn't mean he will get $70 for it. Someone will want to negotiate on the price. Adorama is unlikly to get an ebay price for a non-premium lens. After all, they only get much less than 1% of the shoppers that ebay gets so there is much less demand. Even if he is lucky enough to find a buyer for it, you can't expect him to hold a lens for years only to make $10 profit on it. If you sell it on ebay, be sure and come back and tell us what your profit was after all fees, shipping, etc. In addition, you had to compose an ad, pack it up, etc. I think that your expectations were unrealistic.

I agree, the net profit after all that would not make it worth advertising other than on CL.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Gallery: 245 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 14, 2015 11:16 |  #30

Wow. After moving away from NYC a couple of years ago, I would love to have places places like B&H and Adorama to walk in to again.

As far as the negotiations, maybe you're being a bit sensitive or maybe you're omitting details that would explain the low-ball comeback. It's really not that uncommon of a practice, especially if something in your mannerisms gave offense (or they were just having a bad day), and is simply a way of emphasizing that the previous was their best offer. In terms of the offered price of $15 - well, yeah. They need to make a living and you're going to pay for the convenience of not having to list, wait, collect, ship and deal potential headache customers. Frankly, for the price category that we're talking about, I'd say the "convenience fee" vs eBay is money well spent. If we're talking about a couple hundred bucks difference, then it's a different story for me.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

sponsored links

10,483 views & 16 likes for this thread
Sigh..Adorama..selling and "trying" to buy used.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.