Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Short Films 
Thread started 07 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sailing fast - dirt and ice

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2015 08:49 |  #1

Here's a playlist of some iceboat videos I've been making recently. (external link)
They all follow the same editing formula: cut regularly on the music, and try to keep other boats in the frame as much as possible.

C&C is always welcome!

This is a video from earlier this winter:

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

sponsored links
prncfarquad
193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2015 15:35 |  #2

Cool videos looks scary/fun all in the same swoop. I used the second song "Line of Fire" in a video I did not too long ago. Great action track

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 27, 2015 14:09 |  #3

Nice reflections in the Jan 1 video. Looks like fun.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

Headspin
85 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2015 05:45 |  #4

Nice footage! It would be great to mix in some interviews with some of the drivers (what its like to race ect)?
Regards
Rob

www.nicecatmedia.com (external link)

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 19, 2015 14:47 |  #5

Headspin wrote in post #17419862 (external link)
Nice footage! It would be great to mix in some interviews with some of the drivers (what its like to race ect)?

Absolutely. I'm thinking of ways to "tell the story" more completely. Interviews aren't really my thing (maybe I can find someone else to help with that...), but I'll definitely be shooting more footage from outside the boat/kart and probably adding some time-lapse shots of action throughout an event.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 22, 2015 01:13 |  #6

If you want to minimize the rolling shutter/jello effect that's most noticeable when the camera is off to the side, you can try higher framerates. The faster the camera reads the CMOS, the less jiggle will happen during each frame's exposure.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

J ­ Michael
964 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2015 17:27 |  #7

That was great. If I was shooting something like that I'd also try to get some aerial footage, maybe fly a tethered balloon (or a cluster) with something small like a GoPro attached.

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 08, 2015 11:33 |  #8

JonKline wrote in post #17443393 (external link)
If you want to minimize the rolling shutter/jello effect that's most noticeable when the camera is off to the side, you can try higher framerates. The faster the camera reads the CMOS, the less jiggle will happen during each frame's exposure.

Unfortunately all my current cameras (Hero2 and four SJ-4000s) only shoot 1080p at 30fps.

When the cost of 60fps cameras come down I plan to switch over, but for now I'm happy having more angles to choose from even though it means the quality is lower.

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by GeoffSobering. (2 edits in all)

May 08, 2015 11:38 |  #9

J Michael wrote in post #17455722 (external link)
That was great. If I was shooting something like that I'd also try to get some aerial footage, maybe fly a tethered balloon (or a cluster) with something small like a GoPro attached.

That's a very great low-budget idea! :idea:

With drones all the rage these days, I didn't even think of something simple like that.
I'll have to see if I can work out some kind of stabilization system.

I'm also thinking of mounting a camera on a tall pole (PVC or something similarly inexpensive).
At some parking lots where we sail blokarts there are light poles in the sailing area, I can probably figure out some way to use small-diameter PVC to hold the camera up and against the light pole for good stability.

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 08, 2015 11:42 |  #10

Here's a video from the dirt:
There are more in my blokart playlist (external link).

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 18, 2015 09:59 |  #11

Sometimes things don't work out as planned...

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2015 16:12 |  #12

A few weeks ago one of the new Madison blokart sailors scouted out the roads in the decommissioned Badger Army Ammunition Plant (external link) about 45 minutes northwest of Madison (map (external link))
We started exploratory sailing in the past few weeks and I've attached a couple of short videos from the outings.

The first one is Jim, Scott, and me sailing last Sunday, the second one is from my first sail at Badger and mostly just shows the condition of the main east-west road.

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2015 12:19 |  #13

Here's a 56 second video that (I think) captures the reason we sail these silly things...

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2015 10:57 |  #14

Here's the longer version from the same outing as above.
I think this one turned out very nicely.

GeoffSobering
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 04, 2015 15:45 |  #15

Earlier in the fall a bunch of us drove out to Atlantic City to sail at the dis-used downtown airport, Bader Field.

For two of the days the wind was directly across the runway in the high teens, so the sailing was pretty intense.

This is one of those "location, location, location" kind of videos. I put it together very quickly from one (of four) cameras I had on my blokart.
The only real editing was picking a section of video with some other karts in it, cutting out a couple of boring bits, and adding a catchy tune.

It got picked up by a couple of sailing web-sites and was one of my only 2k+ videos...

sponsored links

5,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sailing fast - dirt and ice
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Short Films 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.