Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from crop to full frame, lens question.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2015 13:45 |  #16

there is no such lens as the old sigma 35mm f1.4...there's only the art version...you mention how much you don't want to spend, but how much do you want to spend?

also do you have any sort of zoom lens that you can use to determine which focal length you would prefer?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mctenold
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 07, 2015 13:52 |  #17

DreDaze wrote in post #17370964 (external link)
there is no such lens as the old sigma 35mm f1.4...there's only the art version...you mention how much you don't want to spend, but how much do you want to spend?

also do you have any sort of zoom lens that you can use to determine which focal length you would prefer?

Oh odd! I must have been thinking of the 30mm f/1.4. Well that option is out.

I have the 50mm 1.8 to test the field of view of 50mm, but I don't have any 35mm (in a zoom or prime) to compare.

MrDurden1978
25 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 07, 2015 14:16 |  #18

any 50mm 1.4 are great lenses. My first sense was canon 50mm 1.4. super sharp and blurs the background nicely..decently priced as well

Scott

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2015 14:24 |  #19

I have the 50L and love it. It is expensive but I have no complaints on performance. My favorite attributes:

Fast and accurate AF.
Flare performance
Bokeh, both front and back of the focus plane. Very smooth and neutral.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by burb1972.

Jan 07, 2015 15:38 |  #20

thats weird about the 50 1.8, i have the mark 1 and unless its completely dark, i cant even remember it missing.
what about the 35 f2 is? not as good as the sigma, but the best bokeh at 35mm, but maybe a little wide. im waiting for the 50 canon with is:lol:.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,170 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2015 17:56 |  #21

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17370923 (external link)
Avoid the 50 1.8 II. I've tried three copies of it on at least 4 different bodies. I could not get it to focus consistently. :)

I have owned all three Canon 50mm lenses, and agree - the AF performance of the f/1.8 II is terrible. The f/1.4 had consistent and accurate AF, but it was noticeably slower and less smooth than the AF of all the ring USM lenses I own or have owned -- it uses an inferior micro motor, similar to that of the 70-300mm IS (non-L). I upgraded to the 50L when I found one for a good deal... this was before the Sigma 50 Art was ever announced.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Lumens
449 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 08, 2015 06:57 |  #22

mctenold wrote in post #17370941 (external link)
Much appreciated. I will probably go for the 50mm, now I just need to decide which one.

"I'm really leaning towards saving a little more money and getting the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens. I keep hearing such amazing reviews!"

-> Let's face it, you have answered your question. If you don't buy and at least try this you will never know or be satisfied. That's the main principle of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (LOL).

I know half my purchases have been based on this.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

sponsored links

3,866 views & 1 like for this thread
Moving from crop to full frame, lens question.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.