Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New here: trying to narrow down my next lens purchase

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 08, 2015 01:09 |  #16

NBEast wrote in post #17371802 (external link)
I'd sort of expect it to be closer to kit lens quality.

LOL, its a little better quality then a kit lens ;)

NBEast wrote in post #17371839 (external link)
How's it stack up for AF accuracy/speed, bokeh quality, and fringing?

AF is accurate and fast, though probably slightly slower then canon. Actually I haven't seen any test, just assuming since most third party lens are a little slower to AF. The out of focus areas are pleasing, but whats pleasing to some might not be to other. Fringing is nearly non existent.

Here is the lens sample thread: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1315965

sponsored links
Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 08, 2015 01:55 |  #17

I've taken a kajillion photos of our grandson (my first) with the EF-S 15-85mm in natural light, with reflectors and with flash. It's not fast but has great IS and is a super versatile lens with near-L image quality, and 15mm is really fun. Just throwing another choice out there. IMO its the best lens going for Canon crop bodies.

Flash photography isn't difficult to learn and opens up a new world. I highly recommend diving in. I was intimidated at first but learned quickly and soon added additional Speedlites, light stands, umbrella and softbox. It has been lots of fun and results are phenomenal.

Good luck to you!

Locon15
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 08, 2015 07:59 |  #18

Thank you all.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Either way, I need a 35mm or smaller. The 50mm is very difficult in my house, I just don't have the space. I do love it outdoors, so I will keep it. It just isn't going to work for my indoor work.

I've read a ton about natural light. I haven't read anything about flash. So this is all new to me.

What type of flash should I be looking at?

I was under the impression that setting up at a 45-90 degree angle in front of a huge window would be great! But yes, sometimes the natural light I am getting is to harsh.

So what is recommended, if you are using flash or a soft box, do you still set up in a natural light area?

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by FEChariot. (3 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2015 09:58 |  #19

I would start with getting a flash that can be used off camera. There are several ways to do this including radio triggers, 10 meter long flash synch cables, or using master flashes. Since your t3 doesn't have built in flash master capability, I would look into getting a used 580ex2 and at least one 430EX to use as a slave. I Use a 580 either on camera or using a ettl 10M synch cord with 2 430's which allows for 3 off camera flashes with the cord.

As far as modifiers go, I think the best place to start is using an umbrella with a removable black cover that can be used either as bounce or shoot through. They are cheap at like $25 or so. Then you can move to soft boxes once you get your feet wet. Fotodiox, Westcott Apollo, and Cheetah stand both have high bang for buck options.

As far as balancing flash with available light it depends on what you are balancing with. If it's sunlight through a window at mid day, the flash color temperature is very close. However, if you are balancing with tungsten light or a setting sun, the color temp is lower around 3500-4000 K and you will want to buy some color correction gels. You would want CTO 1/4, 1/2 and full CTO and these sheets are very cheap. Cut out a square that covers the flash head and secure it to the flash with a rubber band. Here is a cheap example:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3407_Filter_Ros​coSun.html (external link)

Good ETTL cords:
http://flashzebra.com …rds/ettlcords/i​ndex.shtml (external link)

Additionally a good reflector can act as an additional light source with either sunlight or flash:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_in_1_Reflector​_with.html (external link)

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 08, 2015 10:14 |  #20

Locon15 wrote in post #17372145 (external link)
I was under the impression that setting up at a 45-90 degree angle in front of a huge window would be great! But yes, sometimes the natural light I am getting is to harsh.

On the days you're getting beautiful light through that window I'd say skip the flash. But on the days that light suck or is just non-existent an off camera flash can make that beautiful light for you.

Starting off I'd gets flash that offers both ETTL and manual controls. Depending on budget that could be anything from a canon 600ex-rt down to a yongnuo 565ex. There are a ton of flash to choose from.

From there a light stand, umbrella bracket, umbrella, and a way to trigger the flash off camera.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 08, 2015 12:50 |  #21

Even with natural light, if it's harsh and creating too much contrast a flash is a great way of providing adequate fill for keeper images.

Here's a very good website for learning about flash:

http://www.strobist.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Also lots of helpful info on Youtube, check out some of the recordings posted by B&H.

Another option for remote triggering is the Canon 90EX, a very small Speedlite capable of triggering a remote flash (both ETTL and manual), and it's less than $50. I grew accustomed to the in-camera method with the 7D, which the 6D doesn't have (it has no popup flash). The 90EX is just a bit larger than a zippo lighter and does quite a nice job. A nice solution for close proximity to off-camera lighting. I also use Yongnuo YN622c remote triggers, about $80-90 per pair and work very well. Yongnuo flashes are talked about quite a bit these days as alternatives to Canon, and getting good feedback.

cali92rs
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 08, 2015 13:04 |  #22

Careful...once you see how much a cheap, simple umbrella setup improves your output, you will be hooked and it will open a whole different avenue of GAS ;)

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

Locon15
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 08, 2015 16:55 as a reply to  @ Nethawked's post |  #23

Thanks, that is good to hear. It seems overwhelming at first, with everything else I am learning right now.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 08, 2015 17:47 |  #24

Locon15 wrote in post #17372859 (external link)
Thanks, that is good to hear. It seems overwhelming at first, with everything else I am learning right now.

If you're fairly new to photography then pick up a copy of understanding exposure. Get good with shooting in manual as it will be a huge help when you do come into a tough lighting situation. It will be an even bigger help when you start trying to mix flash and ambient light.

Learn one thing at a time. Get a good grasp on it then move onto the nex subject. I'd start with manual exposure. Move to using and manipulating natural light (a nice reflector is an amazing tool here), then learn how to use and modify artificial light.

It can all seem over whelming at first, but once you fully understand one subject the next will be that much easier.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 08, 2015 18:30 |  #25

Being from Michigan I understand how limiting winter can be. Espically if you have kids in tow.

If you have a good knowledge of exposure then start sitting your kids by the living room window and see how different angles effect the look. Read up on short and broad lighting. Low key and high key. Pick up a reflector (a 5 in 1 is a good one) or a piece of white foam core (pick it up in the hobby section of most stores). The reflector/foam core will work as a fill light with naturally lighting and flash.

Winter day are short and the natural light tends to suck on most days. But makes learning challenging lighting situations all the easier. Once you have natural light down pick up a flash and start learning that so you don't have to fight with those challenging lighting situations.

Obviously this is just one way of looking at the learning process. I actually picked up a flash while still learning natural lighting and kind of learned them both at the same time. Learn how you know you will learn best, be it reading, watching videos, or just doing.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,042 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 08, 2015 18:53 |  #26

i've found winter, for me not necessarily because of the cold, but just short days, is good for figuring out indoor lighting...and some abstract macro work

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 08, 2015 19:08 |  #27

One thing I havent seen mentioned is that with fast lenses you do have to worry about depth of field being to shallow for some of your shots if your shooting wide open at f1.8/f1.4 etc.... With that shallow of a depth of AF focusing errors become a lot more obvious and focusing point selection a lot more critical.

The benefit to some off camera flash that others have been recommending is you can shoot at smaller apertures for a larger depth of field as well as sharper pictures since most lens perform better stopped down 1-2 stops from their maximum aperture.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Locon15
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 08, 2015 19:09 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #28

Good tips, thanks.

I have angled the kids in front of the window and worked with that some. But I have a hard time with my 50mm, I just don't have the space, so that is another obstacle.

I haven't heard of short and broad lighting so I will look into what that means right now :)

And I'd have no idea how to use a reflector so that is something else I will read up on.

Locon15
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 08, 2015 19:54 |  #29

Is this a good flash option to start with?

If I ordered this and the 5 in 1 reflector would that b a good starting point?

If not, what is a better option?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,042 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 08, 2015 20:21 |  #30

Locon15 wrote in post #17373112 (external link)
Is this a good flash option to start with?

If I ordered this and the 5 in 1 reflector would that b a good starting point?

If not, what is a better option?

i think you might have forgotten the link?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,408 views & 3 likes for this thread
New here: trying to narrow down my next lens purchase
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.