Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 + 35mm + Lightroom - before and after

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil.

Jan 08, 2015 16:05 |  #1

Would like some feedback, whatever comes to mind, about the before and after.
Just decided to do some ETTR (the indoors lights and a few things outside were blinking) and then see what I could create. I have begun to play with split toning and after I moved a bunch of dials to bring up the exposure in the underexposed areas, I then played with an idea of I wanted it to look colder outside (it was incredibly cold) and slightly warmer inside - so I slightly tinted the highlights in blue and the shadows in yellow.

ISO 1600, F11, 35mm, 1/60 handheld with the 35L on a 5D3

Before and after picture included.

I did not go into photoshop to remove things that I would do - and I recognize the picture looks processed but it is one exposure and not a combo HDR picture.

Any feedback?

thanks

Paul

SOOC

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8648/16207546316_72d1dbe11b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qGcU​RJ  (external link) 35mm_f11_cafe_original (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

Lightroom adjusted
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7476/16233439305_19d193bb4f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qJuB​Wz  (external link) 35mm_f11_cafe (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,615 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 08, 2015 16:38 |  #2

I'm just viewing this on my phone now, but the transformation looks amazing. Pls explain how you could bring up the interior brightness without blowing out the outside parts.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rent
651 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 08, 2015 16:48 |  #3

The interior looks fantastic! I don't mean to nitpick but the only thing that kind of bugs me is the blue sky thru the rolled up shades. I think they would have looked better if they were darker - like the deep blue in the original. :-)

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.com (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 08, 2015 17:06 |  #4

The adjusted one very nice though possibly a touch to bright, but certainly makes the location look much more inviting than the original.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,201 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 08, 2015 17:12 |  #5

I think you did a nice job. Not overdone and tasteful. BTW I also find people who post 'before' pictures quite courageous!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (2 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2015 21:15 |  #6

thanks for the comments

for those that are interested, this is what I did in Lightroom

after I did the adjustments below, I did the following two filters and 3 adjustment brushes

Filters
1) to lighten the ceiling, I used a graduated filter pulled down from the roof and acting only on the top 1/5th of the photo using Exposure +1.35
2) a used a radial filter to highlight the tree in the back right corner - exposure +1.25, Saturation +83, Clarity +46

Brushes
1) On the brick wall + 0.78 exposure and +89 Clarity
2) On the black table nearest the camera I applied +57 Clarity
3) On the small side wall between the two sets of windows I lightened the wall with +0.47 exposure

I also did the split toning which is kind of hard to describe but the colours I used were blueish for highlights and yellowish for shadows and these are only small effects

On the entire photo, dials adjusted:

Exposure +1.70
Whites - 88
Highlights -78
Shadows +9
Blacks +69

Clarity +69
Vibrance +37

Red Saturation +33
Red Luminance -28

Sharpening +26
Radius 1.0
Detail 25
Masking 18

Noise Reduction 32
Detail 68
Constrast 0
Color 16
Detail 50

Grain 36

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,615 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 08, 2015 21:18 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #7

Thanks!

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,986 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2015 21:38 |  #8

I will say that I think you could have gone another half stop or so on the exposure without actually blowing any of the highlights. Thats where having true RAW histograms available on the camera would really benefit those that shoot ETTR. Even though it is totally unused in LR, apart from the very first initial preview, the in camera JPEG settings and picture style have a large effect on the histogram and highlight blinkies on the camera LCD.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 09, 2015 09:55 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #17373255 (external link)
I will say that I think you could have gone another half stop or so on the exposure without actually blowing any of the highlights. Thats where having true RAW histograms available on the camera would really benefit those that shoot ETTR. Even though it is totally unused in LR, apart from the very first initial preview, the in camera JPEG settings and picture style have a large effect on the histogram and highlight blinkies on the camera LCD.

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the comments. I decided to do a little experiment to see how many stops into the blinking highlights I could recover the data from in Lightroom (I shoot Raw+Raw but the picture mode is set to A for the Jpeg representation in camera). My initial experiment was a bit of a failure as I used the same cafe setup to get blinking highlights from the hanging ceiling light and the white windows across the street (not exactly a wedding dress which I will go back and use) but I was sort of shocked (I know I'm wrong here) but I was able to go WAY above 2/3rds of stop into the Blinking Highlights and still recover (apparently) the details in Lightroom (massive reduction of Highlights & a Whites) and then still boost the Exposure by 2 full Stop (+ graduated filters and adjustment brushes to increase exposure on darker areas).

I will definitely be redoing this on a hanging wedding dress in a window to check exactly what is possible - my guess is it is probably 1 full stop but I will report back.

The picture below was +3 2/3rds of a stop into the Blinking Hightlights - and the hanging Ceiling light and White windows across the street are no longer blown according to Lightroom.

Please don't judge the quality of the edit - the experiment was only to check to see if how much to ETTR is possible once Blinking highlights have started

Paul

SOOC

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7494/16238549005_24f6753fe5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qJWN​SR  (external link) cafe_over_expose_org (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

Lightroom'd
IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8565/15616137334_f0060a127b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pMWM​z9  (external link) cafe_over_expose_3pt23 (external link) by wallstreetoneil (external link), on Flickr

ejenner
Goldmember
3,771 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 09, 2015 17:42 |  #10

It does depend on how much detail and 'true color' you need in the highlights. In the above case you can get away with the outside looking a bit messed up in the highlights.

That's what bracketing is for though (not just HDR). Ahhh, I remember when we used to bracket for exposure. But even with the LCD and histogram and all the tools we have, getting it spot-on is not always easy and sometimes worth a +/- 1/3 stop.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 + 35mm + Lightroom - before and after
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.