Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storing Your Gear. Display or packed away?

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 09, 2015 00:13 |  #16

njstacker22 wrote in post #17372572 (external link)
Sounds pretty neat. Any pictures of this setup?

Thanks. I'll post some photos tomorrow

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jan 09, 2015 06:46 |  #17

Safe and hidden. Some stuff into a remote (off-site) secured, humidity-controlled storage facility.

It is more important to me to prevent it from being stolen than to put it on a shelf as some sort of conversation piece. I'm fully insured with an inland marine policy, but who wants to go without equipment for a month or more while fighting an insurance company over a claim?

Website (external link) |

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,293 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 09, 2015 08:25 |  #18

I have lenses, flashes and some accessories in a Doskocil case.

My back-up bodies are in a closet. My main body and two lenses are in what I refer to as my "ready bag"...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by njstacker22.

Jan 09, 2015 08:31 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17373334 (external link)
Display camera gear? Really? Bodies and lenses are not "cool looking" or "neat to look at". No, they aren't. They are just tools; machines, if you will.

It is the photos themselves that are supposed to be displayed. I mean, do architects display their slide rulers and drafting pencils? Do artists put their messy tubes of oil paints out on display? Do taxidermists put their scalpels and excelsior out for all to see? Heck no! Rather, they display their buildings, paintings, and mounted specimens, respectively. Likewise, photographers should be interested not in displaying the tools of their trade, but rather the results of their creative efforts.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions and you clearly have yours. You say that camera bodies and lenses aren't "Cool" or "neat to look at"... well I'm going to have to disagree. That is YOUR opinion and it sounds like you're attempting to belittle me for having mine. Do you ever just sit down with another photographer and talk? I do. Gear, misc equipment, cameras, lenses, etc. ARE conversation pieces. Also, I'm not trying to hang my camera off the ceiling in a frame to present it as a piece of art but rather have it on a shelf so it's easily accessible and yes, create a functional and attractive shelving unit. It can be a conversation piece. I don't have much but I am fascinated with my camera, my lenses and all of my gear. You should attempt to not be so hypocritical by saying that I should be rather interested in the results of my "creative efforts" when you're attempting to right now tell me my creative efforts are dumb because you don't agree what I should do with my "tools".

Thanks for your comment.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 09, 2015 09:06 |  #20

I have to say as an Engineer I have my pencils on display (Yes they are very cool pencils). I also have my 3d mouse and other tech items out for "display". It’s fun to talk about your passions and to show off your cool gear. I have so many people that stop into my office and see something on my desk and that’s what starts the conversation.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2015 09:44 |  #21

My work gear lives in my locker at work (in a thinktank roller)

My Leica M lives in a thinktank retro7 with my MBA11" a flash, cardreader and a few other bits and pieces - it is beside the bed if i am home, and either on my shoulder or on the seat beside me if i am out.

Old or broken gear is in a glass display case in the "mancave"

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 09, 2015 10:07 |  #22

I have pretty much all of my possession's that I use regularly/think are neat on display in my Man Cave(alright its my bedroom too but I live in an apartment there's only so many rooms available). Most of my day to day kit lives in one of my two bags so that it is ready to go at a moments notice but I have a section of my desk, which in my opinion is a quite attractive desk made from glass and aluminum, dedicated to my other less frequently used gear and my backup body if it isn't in the bag.

In the same area on the desk I also have an organised battery charging space with two little organizer bins. The two LPE-6 Chargers are in the middle, flat batteries are in the bin on the left, and charged batteries go in the bin on the right. This is a habit I got into while working for a local TV program.

I also own a collection of film cameras, since these get used less often they are on semi permanent display on top of my dresser. Come to think of it most of my "decorations" are actually functional in some way. I have my old half stack from my days in a band on one wall with my two electric guitars on wall hangers on either side, and my acoustic on a floor stand next to the amp in the corner. I also have a collection of license plates on one wall and a big 9 x 3 banner that I designed for an event where I work last year on another, these may not be functional anymore but I suppose they were at one time so I'll count them as well.

I don't worry too much about thievery I live in a pretty respectable area and have a room mate who is fanatical about locking the doors. I am also insured and have made a few painless claims with my insurance company before, everything was always sorted out within 2 weeks. The only thing I really lock up are the few guns I own, this is just so that someone who doesn't know what they are doing doesn't hurt themselves or someone else inadvertently.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 09, 2015 10:20 |  #23

solepatch wrote in post #17373839 (external link)
I have pretty much all of my possession's that I use regularly/think are neat on display in my Man Cave(alright its my bedroom too but I live in an apartment there's only so many rooms available). Most of my day to day kit lives in one of my two bags so that it is ready to go at a moments notice but I have a section of my desk, which in my opinion is a quite attractive desk made from glass and aluminum, dedicated to my other less frequently used gear and my backup body if it isn't in the bag.

In the same area on the desk I also have an organised battery charging space with two little organizer bins. The two LPE-6 Chargers are in the middle, flat batteries are in the bin on the left, and charged batteries go in the bin on the right. This is a habit I got into while working for a local TV program.

I also own a collection of film cameras, since these get used less often they are on semi permanent display on top of my dresser. Come to think of it most of my "decorations" are actually functional in some way. I have my old half stack from my days in a band on one wall with my two electric guitars on wall hangers on either side, and my acoustic on a floor stand next to the amp in the corner. I also have a collection of license plates on one wall and a big 9 x 3 banner that I designed for an event where I work last year on another, these may not be functional anymore but I suppose they were at one time so I'll count them as well.

I don't worry too much about thievery I live in a pretty respectable area and have a room mate who is fanatical about locking the doors. I am also insured and have made a few painless claims with my insurance company before, everything was always sorted out within 2 weeks. The only thing I really lock up are the few guns I own, this is just so that someone who doesn't know what they are doing doesn't hurt themselves or someone else inadvertently.

Sounds like you have a nice setup! That is what I would really like to do. I just purchased a house with my GF and coming from MUCH smaller places we have a ton of room to spare. I basically have full control over the basement and would like to do something cool with it.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 09, 2015 10:28 |  #24

Do it! Its really great to have some access to space that is your own. I live with another couple so the rest of the apartment is a big ole compromise, but I can go to my space and its very comfortable for me. I also like having everything out on display because its easy to get to when you need it.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

03062k3
314 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 09, 2015 11:48 |  #25

+1 on the pelican case. i have the 1504 model so i can use it for both storage and easy carry. it gives me peace of mind to know that my gear is safe in the random event that someone bumps into my gear or if there is a leak/flood in the house. also very convenient to have the essential gear with me in a camera bag while the rest of my gear is also available to me in the car but safe from dust and moisture.

primary: 6D || 17-40/4L || 24-105/4L || 40/2.8 pancake || 70-200/2.8L is
secondary and travel: eos m || ef-m 18-55/3.5-5.6 || ef-m 22/2 pancake || ef-m to ef/ef-s adapter
flashes: speedlite 430ex ii || speedlite 90ex

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by eddieb1.

Jan 09, 2015 12:29 |  #26

njstacker22 wrote in post #17372572 (external link)
Sounds pretty neat. Any pictures of this setup?

Sorry for the iphone pictures, but I'm sure you get the idea.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i184.photobucke​t.com …f9a61e80e_zps76​a94416.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i184.photobucke​t.com …9b5d72dd7_zps42​b0d82b.jpg (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2015 12:34 as a reply to  @ eddieb1's post |  #27

Very nice setup you have for your gear there!

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2015 12:40 |  #28

I have my studio in what used to be a home theater room. The previous owner had a cabinet with a glass door for all the a/v equipment. I turned that into my photo gear storage/display and have everything but my lights which I leave up in there.

My day to day gear is in my bag which gets stored on a shelf in the display case. I really do need to organize the display case better for display and find a few small bins to put chargers and batteries, spare cords etc... in to make it look neater.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 09, 2015 12:54 |  #29

mrfixitx wrote in post #17374065 (external link)
Very nice setup you have for your gear there!

Thank you. Works very well for me.

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 09, 2015 13:24 |  #30

eddieb1 wrote in post #17374059 (external link)
Sorry for the iphone pictures, but I'm sure you get the idea.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s184.photobucke​t.com …0019_zps7090d87​2.jpg.html  (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s184.photobucke​t.com …dc0b_zpsd6ede57​9.jpg.html  (external link)

I like this a lot. Very discrete until you open it and BAM! Beauty!

sponsored links

7,497 views & 3 likes for this thread
Storing Your Gear. Display or packed away?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.