Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 09 Jan 2015 (Friday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help in choosing a 6d or 7d mark2

aratari
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 09, 2015 20:47 |  #1

Hello, I have been shooting for 3 years beginning with a t3i and now use a 60d.

I do photography of events and general news stories for three different newspapers which typically consists of gala events, festivals, and then other small events at restaurants, book stores, and places of business.

I also shoot real estate in which i typically use my 17-40 l lens and my 10mm-16mm which has not so good distortion on corners. I initially wanted to go full frame until i found out my 10mm lenses will not fit.

My other glass includes a 50m 1.4 and an 85mm 1.8

I know only 3 of my lenses will fit on the 6d while all four will work on the 7d mark 2.

I also shoot sports often and do weddings here and there.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck based on this info? Things that i am having trouble with the 60d is low iso performance and soft focusing occasionally. What would you do if you were me please.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by rdalrt.

Jan 09, 2015 20:53 |  #2

What is your budget?

Sounds like you need a do it all camera. To me it seems the 5DIII would be what you need.

BTW, 17mm on full frame is pretty much equal to 10mm on your 60D. So no loss there.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2015 20:58 |  #3

If your shooting sports regularly I would get the 7D mark2 or if even the original 7D or the 70D the later two would be a lot less expensive and would allow you to put money towards better glass if needed while offering significantly better AF performance than the 60D.

The 70D and the 7DMK2 will have slightly better high ISO performance than the 60D but nothing dramatic. While the 6D will have the best high ISO performance the auto focus is the least suited for sports and arguably worse than the 60D due the fact that all of its AF points are located in the center of the frame more so than the 60D which will make it harder to track subjects.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

aratari
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 09, 2015 21:14 |  #4

How is the iso on the 7d mark 2, I would really like to shoot at 1600 or 3200 on a decent basis when in bad lighting.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2015 21:26 as a reply to  @ aratari's post |  #5

Check it out yourself here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

Just select the two cameras you want to compare and it will give you studio scenes at a variety of ISO's that you can compare side by side.

Personally the 7D MK2 looks slight cleaner at ISO 1600 but its a very minor difference. At 3200 the difference is more noticeable but its not a night and day difference to my eye.

It might be worth exploring some noise reduction steps in lightroom/photoshop for your 60D and doing some actual prints at high ISO. The nice thing with these higher resolution sensors is while noise may look a bit unpleasant at higher ISO when you print it's not nearly evident due to the higher pixel density.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,064 views & 1 like for this thread
Need help in choosing a 6d or 7d mark2
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.