Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone found some exposure issues with the 6D?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2015 18:35 |  #31

britinjapan wrote in post #17376099 (external link)
but have to give the points to Nikon on this one, and was expecting a bit more from my 6D. Im just a hobby photographist, but in some cases you can't go back and retake the photos nor have time to compensate for exposure,

But why do you "expect more from the 6D"? The best exposure (of the subject) is the one where you had AF activated and the AF point on your subject, which is what you should be doing when taking shots. The other 3 images are only slightly out and then only because you were deliberately trying to demonstrate the metering difference by moving the point over another tone. Any differences here were surely caused by you realigning the camera, deliberately, to demonstrate the "issue". If you have your focus point on target, then the exposure will be better (when allowing the camera to set it from the meter). Any time you use an auto mode the exposure it sets will change as you move the camera around and it sees different tones. This is true of Canons and Nikons (if a Nikon doesn't alter the meter reading as tones change in the metered area, then the meter isn't working properly). It only takes a second or two to set exposure manually, maybe another few seconds if you want to do a test shot and check the histogram as well, then that exposure will be fixed so long as the light doesn't change. The meter needle will be swinging around though as you move the camera, but you just ignore it.

I agree that sometimes there is a sudden need to grab a shot, with no time to check or adjust anything, but those shots of yours are only a little over one stop between the "correct" one and the worst of the other 3, that is well within the latitude of digital sensors and you can correct for it in processing very easily. You may lose a tiny bit of quality but that is the nature of sudden grab shots, they are rarely taken with perfect settings.

This really is just a matter of getting used to your equipment, all cameras are different and you quickly adjust to the way they work.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 10, 2015 19:13 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with sandpiper. None of the shots were ruined, or needed to be shot again. You are looking at 1/2 to 1/3 of stop as a worst case. That is easily recoverable if you are shooting raw. As far as having time to adjust, I don't take your point. If I have to take time to pick up my camera, and then most likely have to turn it on, I've already got EC in my head. Do it long enough and it becomes second nature. My thumb knows where the back dial and * buttons are. I certainly don't nail every exposure, but I get most of them close enough to have a useful shot. That is good enough for me. I forget to change WB more often.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 11, 2015 00:09 as a reply to  @ post 17374650 |  #33

From my experience the 6d will expose with priority on the AF point, and I find that a good thing. If you don't like that, you can manually expose. I like the exposure bias of the 6d, best I've used.

Manual and AF exposure should be different IMO, and your camera sounds normal.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 11, 2015 09:59 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17376545 (external link)
From my experience the 6d will expose with priority on the AF point, and I find that a good thing. If you don't like that, you can manually expose. I like the exposure bias of the 6d, best I've used.

Manual and AF exposure should be different IMO, and your camera sounds normal.

Only in Evaluative metering.

The reference to Manual is NOT Manual Exposure. OP is referring to Manual FOCUS. Focus mode has no bearing on exposure metering. Which is as it should be.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 11, 2015 12:47 |  #35

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17377044 (external link)
Only in Evaluative metering.

The reference to Manual is NOT Manual Exposure. OP is referring to Manual FOCUS. Focus mode has no bearing on exposure metering. Which is as it should be.

right, even when I switch to manual focus, it will expose differently, then when I'm on AF, it just depends on where my last AF point was. For instance, the scene that TS posted, had a dark pole and white background.

if I'm already on center focus, there will be bias on the center. I dont even have to focus on it, the bias is there. If I use all points, then it will meter the whole scene like how it does in manual focus. From my experience, the 6D meters based on the last AF point. It's not fully like spot metering, some sort of middle ground. I generally expose a bit higher shooting with the sony system because it treats the whole scene with no bias, however, the 6D does a good job of nailing exposure with that biased metering.

it's like a secret AF point linked metering (spot metering on AF point but more subtle)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,952 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone found some exposure issues with the 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.