Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 14:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ASUS PA248Q Buzzing/Hissing Noise

Dorian7
148 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 10, 2015 14:41 |  #1

Hello All,

So I am quite frustrated with this monitor. I bought one from Amazon and it came with a high pitched buzzing/hissing noise when turned on (does it even when not hooked up to a comp). The noise gets louder the brighter the content on the screen (i.e. when a white screen is displayed the sound is most intense and least intense on a black screen). I got a replacement from amazon and that ones does it as well. So I went down to Fry's and got one from there, that does it TOO! I contacted Asus customer support and they confirmed that it should not do that. I am at a loss because I love this monitor except for the noise. I checked the voltage in the house and it is 120-118 everywhere.

I bought the monitor for photo editing and there isn't really anything like it in the same price range. Do you have any ideas of what to do? I have attached a video link of the noise. It comes from the back of the monitor.

http://youtu.be/n-2YnGQfWeo (external link)

A7II - FE 55 F1.8, FE 70-200 F4, Batis 85mm F1.8, Canon FD 24mm F2.8
Follow me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2015 19:55 |  #2

Listening to it, and from a quick web search, I think you are hearing overstressed capacitor(s) whining. One source says to try turning down the brightness and see what happens, but you already said the volume is loudest with a brighter display. "Common occurence with new TN-panel monitors in that the capacitors they are using are cheap and give out easily."

If this is correct, you can't fix it, and another unit of the same model won't help until ASUS fixes the underlying problem (switches to higher rated and/or better quality capacitors).

(P.S. Did you post this exact same question on another site? Because it came up in a web search, and I'm wondering if somebody is grabbing posts off POTN and reposting them automatically.)

Dorian7
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 10, 2015 20:47 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #3

Yeah, that is pretty much what I saw on searching too. It's weird that more people with this monitor don't complain about it since IMO it's pretty loud. Yeah, I did repost it on more computer hardware oriented sites too.

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by -dave-m-. (2 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2015 00:03 |  #4

I have two PA248Q's sitting in front of me, neither of which have or had any buzzing/hissing. Both of mine are more than a year old and both are connected through a display port cable.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Dorian7
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 11, 2015 00:24 as a reply to  @ -dave-m-'s post |  #5

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I am guessing Asus recently switched to cheaper components or something all 3 monitors that I have tried are wishing 150 serial numbers. So frustrating... Not sure what to do as I love the monitor other than this problem.

Dorian7
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 11, 2015 21:53 |  #6

Well I took the 3rd unit back to Fry's and explained what was going on to the customer service guy as well as the monitor salespeople and everyone is in agreement that the noise is definitely not normal and that it shouldn't be there - both of them could hear it too. So we went and pulled a 4th unit and tested it out right there and that one made the noise as well! I think Asus must have switched suppliers for the power supply or something because there 4 were all within 150 serial numbers and it seems that they ALL do it. I am so annoyed. I just don't know what monitor to get now that is a similar price range.

kv968
159 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 12, 2015 04:34 as a reply to  @ Dorian7's post |  #7

When I got my monitor I was trying to decide between the ASUS and a Dell but ended up going with the Dell and it works great for me. Same price range if not a little cheaper:

Dell U2412 (external link)

instagram.com/shooting​anything (external link)

Dorian7
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 12, 2015 12:03 as a reply to  @ kv968's post |  #8

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually ended up ordering a U2415 last night. Hopefully this is better luck!

Dorian7
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 14, 2015 19:10 |  #9

UPDATE! Received a Dell U2415 today and it is silent! It also looks really great. What a relief!

sponsored links

2,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
ASUS PA248Q Buzzing/Hissing Noise
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.