Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 04:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430EX II - Black object on a black canvas/background

whothafunk
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by whothafunk.

Jan 11, 2015 04:59 |  #1

I'm shooting some camera copters in a near future and my clients already gave me some insights on what they want. All is well except for one thing.. they want almost exact replica of this picture

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://3drobotics.com …4/09/IRIS-_Home_mini.jpeg
Click here to see our image rules.

and I am to figure it out how to make a black object (for this example, the body of the copter) so visible, with having a black background/canvas. I only have 1 430EX II to work with, but I'm thinking it's just flash + raw + lightroom and/or photoshop + numerous shots (with different flash settings) to see which works best.

Any ideas and tips?

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by OceanRipple*. (3 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2015 05:59 |  #2

Think in terms of edge lighting. (Your image isn't showing yet.) The histogram is going to be difficult to use - do you have a flashmeter, would help but not essential.

Even with one light, you could use a mirror opposite and feather the light on the subject while the Speedlite is aimed & zoomed so that the reflected light is equally strong. You could probably get ratios from nearly 1 : 1 to 1 : 8 experimenting along those lines.

A challenge, but fun!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This had a white diffuser cam L and a silver reflector cam R - the 580ExII was well off to cam L zoomed to 105mm & aimed such that direct light could reach the reflector but obly diffused light reached the subject from cam L.

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 11, 2015 06:19 |  #3

I'm no commercial or studio guy however I think this is a (I may have the term wrong) stacked shot. Multiple shots with the light source moved around then blinded together in PP.
Check this tutorial out about photo stacking for light painters. I think the same technique was used for your example.

https://lightsfromdrea​ms.wordpress.com …cking-for-light-painters/ (external link)

...good luck
James

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

whothafunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 11, 2015 06:43 |  #4

OceanRipple* wrote in post #17376771 (external link)
Think in terms of edge lighting. (Your image isn't showing yet.) The histogram is going to be difficult to use - do you have a flashmeter, would help but not essential.

Even with one light, you could use a mirror opposite and feather the light on the subject while the Speedlite is aimed & zoomed so that the reflected light is equally strong. You could probably get ratios from nearly 1 : 1 to 1 : 8 experimenting along those lines.

A challenge, but fun!

click on the image and it should show, if not, this link

http://3drobotics.com …4/09/IRIS-_Home_mini.jpeg (external link)

I do not have a flashmeter.

I was thinking about stacked photos myself, but I don't know. Will check the link. Any ideas are still welcome.

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Jan 11, 2015 07:19 |  #5

BTS:

The 580 was c 4 ft off out of frame to cam L.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,305 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 6 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2015 07:21 |  #6

The ability to place light sources and reflectors so that selected SURFACES & EDGES of the subject item reflect the light from those sources/reflectors is the key skill to understand, to achieve the definition to the subject without a tonal difference between the background lighting and subject lighting.

That is precisely how OceanRipple achieved his posted result. Note the size of the source/reflectors, along with precise placement of them, is very important to achieve the visible reflections seen along edges and surfaces of the subject item.

The use of stacking might or might not have been included in combination with above.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 11, 2015 09:45 |  #7

Technically, the background of the image you posted is not black. That alone goes a long way to providing separation for the copter. Since you only have one flash I would suggest doing the same. OceanRipple's set up with the background a little closer, and not a material that will either eat up or reflect too much light, will likely work fine.

Edit: I seriously doubt the image to be copied had a lot (or any) post work done. It's really pretty basic lighting set up.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

1,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
430EX II - Black object on a black canvas/background
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.