Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which of these 3 budget laptops should i buy.

rickmar1905
200 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 11, 2015 08:24 |  #1

Im stuck between which of the following 3 laptops i should buy.

Im just starting to do photoshoots for friends and family to see how i take to it and find myself only really using lightroom but i know some things i would like to do will require the use of cs6.

I cant afford anything better so dont tell me how great imacs are etc as i know. Im just trying to get the best i can for approx £500 to see how things go, if they go well to the point i feel i can charge for my services then i will invest in a £1500 laptop

This will be used only for photo editing so size, weight, gaming capabilities, sound quality etc should have no influence on wich i buy

Heres the candidates

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-white-10075548-pdt.html (external link)

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-black-10011276-pdt.html (external link)

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-white-10029103-pdt.html (external link)

sponsored links
mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 11, 2015 08:36 |  #2

It's a bit of a toss up honestly, the Acer Aspire has the highest resolution display which will make it easier to edit photos but it has the smallest hard drive sporting a 120GB SSD. Which after installing windows, photoshop, lightroom etc... will only leave probably 40-60GB available for files. The SSD will mean faster boot times and a much more responsive laptop in general but you would have to limit how many photos you keep on the laptop if you have a large photo collection. If you are only going to do do a few shoots on the road and download photos there or are willing to download them to an external USB 3.0 hard drive it won't be an issue. It has 6GB of ram which is lower than the others but for photo editing should be fine.

If the Acer Aspire's hard drive limitations are an issue I would get the HP Pavilion 15 as it has the fastest processor of the three and the largest internal hard drive.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 11, 2015 10:56 |  #3

Thanks for the reply. I went with the intentions of buying the acer due to its pros and i do have a 1TB external hard drive already wich counter acts the only downside i could see.

All the laptops are capable of 16gb ram so all upgradeable so i didnt consider that as a downfall.

The salesman then reffered me to the toshiba with the radion 2gb graphics card saying he thinks that would be better but unsure how much lightroom and photoshop would use the graphics card. The downside i saw here was the normal hard drive but if ssd only means faster start up on programs and not actually faster editing then i could live with that.

Then by another salesman i was reffered to the hp saying it was the best i5 processor out of the 3, the cheapest, largest harddrive (not ssd) and would be the best for me.

The main thing i was unsure about was how much difference the 2gb graphics card would effect the speed and quality of editing in lightroom and cs6.

Wish adobe would just make a hobbyist, amateur and proffesional laptop for there products.

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 11, 2015 11:08 |  #4

Maybe its easier for me to just say, the only thing i care about is which will give me the quicker, most accurate editing (accuracy in selections and screen colours)

I dont care if i have to wait 5 minutes for the thing to start up as long as im not waiting forever for an adjustment brush or preset to complete.

I wont have masses of photos on there at any 1 time, maybe 1000 21mp photos at most as ill happily transfer them to my external hard drive when ive done editing them.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 11, 2015 11:13 as a reply to  @ rickmar1905's post |  #5

The graphics card would only be helpful in a very small number of circumstances as only a couple features of adobe photoshop even utilize the graphics card. Stuff like fast paning and scrolling the photos some filters

I have yet to see anyone make a dedicated use case that for a good photoshop PC/Laptop that a dedicated GPU is required. As far as GPU's go this one is pretty low powered only slightly more powerful than the Intel 4400 integrated GPU that comes on the processor. It looks like Toshiba put it in there more for a selling point to put on a checklist than for any significant GPU performance improvements.

Here what I found on the adobe support page located here: http://helpx.adobe.com …s6-gpu-faq1.html#id_88374 (external link)

If you use these features all the time the GPU may help some, but I am not familiar with how much of a difference it would make (I.E. one action is 5 seconds without the GPU and 1 second with it) or if its a more dramatic improvement.

GPU-enhanced features added in Photoshop CC 2014

Upscale.

Blur Gallery 2.

Focus Mask.
To the top
GPU-enhanced features added in Photoshop CC

The Blur Gallery (Iris Blur, Field Blur, and Tilt-Shift) is enhanced by OpenCL.

Smart Sharpen.

Smart Sharpen also uses OpenCL for Noise Reduction only.

Scripted Patterns (Tree and Picture Frame).

Perspective Warp.
To the top
GPU-enhanced features added in Photoshop CS6

Adaptive Wide Angle.

Crop: GPU is used when rotating an image.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bleufire.

Jan 12, 2015 14:29 |  #6

Of those all, I'd take the better screen over most of those. That's if you don't plan on using an external screen.

The RAM is upgradeable, the SSD can be swapped out with another drive if you find out you need more space but the screen is there forever. From what i understand a GPU won't make a huge difference for LR, if any.

As for the i5, they all seem to be within a generation of each other so you might actually just be splitting hairs there as to which really performs better than another.

They will all do the job. If you don't plan on using an external monitor with better resolution then I would personally choose the 1080p screen (Acer). The RAM will be fine at 6 GB for now and the SSD just means that you will have to play musical files from computer -> external frequently. Your first upgrade in the future would definitely be to upgrade SSD thing but 256 GB SSD are on sale for ~$80-100 right now and if you don't want a SSD you can always buy a HDD for $50 @ 1TB.

EDIT: OR you can just save up a few more and get something that fits your need out the gate. You can also buy a refurb somewhere that will be drastically cheaper or pay the same and get better specs.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 12, 2015 20:34 |  #7

So non of those have screens that accurate with colors, making them less the optimal for photo editing. The one with the best screen I looked up on notebookcheck.net and the screen didn't get good reviews and it doesn't cover very much of the sRGB color space. "The coverage rates are 59% (sRGB) and 41% (AdobeRGB)."

Honestly, I would try to find a decent desktop and monitor for hopefully the same price as you'd pay for those laptops. You'll have a much better experience in terms of performance and accuracy in your editing.

For example I just checked out the UK dell site and without even looking for a deal I found this within your budget. Of course you'll need a monitor but at least in the US you can get a somewhat decent one for ~$100-$150 so it could be a few $$ above your budget but you will be getting a MUCH better computer: http://www.dell.com …_id=inspiron-3847-desktop (external link)

If you check out their outlet store I bet you could easily get something like that and a monitor for under your budget.

None of the laptops you linked will give you a very good experience for photo editing, sorry.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 14, 2015 04:55 |  #8

cheers for the replys. i should have added that most my editing will be done when im working away and in a hotel, ill have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of a second screen or if to pay more for a better laptop screen.
if im taking a laptop and a 2nd screen into a hotel then i might as well take a desktop.

ill take a look at the review page mentioned, whats the main thing i should ve looking for in a screen?

cheers

BornForThis
55 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 14, 2015 10:44 |  #9

Personally I would go Acer. I've never had a product from them that failed.

On the other hand, I've had bad experiences with Toshiba laptops.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 14, 2015 12:57 |  #10

Asus and Lenovo do good laptops. My work laptop is Toshiba, works well, but the docking stations are AWFUL.

Not much between those laptops, except RAM, but the one you want. An SSD would make any of them MUCH faster. Samsung 840/850.

You know a desktop is both faster and cheaper right? Plus you can have a better screen.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 14, 2015 17:53 |  #11

rickmar1905 wrote in post #17381609 (external link)
ill take a look at the review page mentioned, whats the main thing i should ve looking for in a screen?

cheers

resolution and IPS is what I would look for, IMO.

kingoftreno
35 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2015 07:55 |  #12

The HP model does have a faster processor and more RAM,

All of these will be using integrated graphics which are built onto the i5 chip, since that is the case you want to get that as fast as possible, and the extra RAM will help out as well.

Lightroom and Photoshop will still not run as fast on it as they would on a desktop. That is something to be mindful of, if you have to edit a lot at once, it's best to sit down at a desk.

I run this model, bought it for gaming on the road, but it serves very will for editing photos and such once you turn on "turbo" mode http://www.amazon.com …age_o05_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

They have newer versions of that one out there as well.

I know my post has kinda gone all over the place, but if this is your only computer, don't skimp on it. If you will solely be using the laptop and don't have a desktop, buy a nice one. If you have another way to edit photos and this for occasional use, a budget one should work when you need it to.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bleufire.

Jan 16, 2015 13:45 |  #13

kingoftreno wrote in post #17383514 (external link)
I run this model, bought it for gaming on the road, but it serves very will for editing photos and such once you turn on "turbo" mode http://www.amazon.com …age_o05_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

That thing is overkill for 95% of the people who use laptops. The price you pay for that is specifically for gaming purposes on the go, otherwise users could get just as functional of a laptop for ~1/2 the price. The people who buy that laptop or same class of laptops are going to be gamers or people who like the aesthetics of the laptop (glowie LED doo-dads n such) The discrete GPU is of almost no use to him in CS6. Everything I just read on a quick google search has specifically been saying that a GPU is only really necessary for larger 3D type projects and that budget should go to CPU and RAM. An i5(or higher) paired with 8GB RAM or more should be adequate for what his stated needs are.

OP also stated he needed this for the road, that is why he didn't want a desktop.

What the OP needs first and foremost is a good screen. a laptop with 1080p is going to be his best bet and getting that with an i5 w/ 6GB of RAM will be more than enough for him to start in. He can always add more RAM down the road (if he even needs it) He can't change the screen in the future.

You are showing him the BMW/Mercedes of laptops which he does not need.

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by rickmar1905.

Jan 17, 2015 10:29 |  #14

ߘ:-/ got a credit card,
:-) Got a macbook pro.

Cheers for all the comments and suggestions but i was fed up of trying to skimp and scrape so took the plunge on a ʂ2k macbook pro.

My thoughts are that if photography isnt my thing then it will hold price better and ill sell it.

2yr 0% credit card also helped. Just hope i dont regret it.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2015 13:14 |  #15

rickmar1905 wrote in post #17376919 (external link)
Im stuck between which of the following 3 laptops i should buy.

Im just starting to do photoshoots for friends and family to see how i take to it and find myself only really using lightroom but i know some things i would like to do will require the use of cs6.

I cant afford anything better so dont tell me how great imacs are etc as i know. Im just trying to get the best i can for approx £500 to see how things go, if they go well to the point i feel i can charge for my services then i will invest in a £1500 laptop

This will be used only for photo editing so size, weight, gaming capabilities, sound quality etc should have no influence on wich i buy

Heres the candidates

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-white-10075548-pdt.html (external link)

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-black-10011276-pdt.html (external link)

http://www.currys.co.u​k …p-white-10029103-pdt.html (external link)

None. Budget laptops = rubbish.

The U processor will be a regular bottleneck, especially the low end 42xx models you have there. You possibly want a non U processor anyway if you want to do any serious work on the laptop.
The harddrives will most likely be slow - invest in an SSD for best speed, but a harddrive is not always bad.
Budget laptop possibly means one memory bank - even if it has two, it will still have too little RAM so you are required to upgrade. (Windows 8.1 will quickly eat 2GB doing nothing...)
Aside from the Acer, the screen resolutions are also absolutely insulting 16:9 junk... 1376x768, the resolution for (low quality) media consumption... hardly enough to do anything meaningful with it while also looking rather bad on a 15" screen...

(Heck, 16:10 is better for work... but with a high enough resolution 16:9 can be worked with - 3200x1800 in my laptop :D)

Do yourself a favour and find something that fits your requirements.
(I had a colleague the only laptop that was available in store and fit the spec in his case was an HP evny - 4 cores, hyperthreading, 12GB RAM - 800 pounds. There Are most definitely other options too, however they may require more search, including manufacturer websites and other retailers. When it comes to performance for money, you cannot beat a desktop though.)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links

4,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
which of these 3 budget laptops should i buy.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.