Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2015 (Monday) 05:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting bachelorette parties as a young man

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 12, 2015 05:37 |  #1

Hi,
In short: Have you ever felt uncomfortable while shooting bachelorette parties?

Not so short:
I'm 27 and I'm married. I am an amateur photographer who does paid gigs occasionally. I land most of them by word of mouth (I don't even host my photos online anymore, just bring them to a meeting with a potentional client). So there's usually at least one person in the event that I remotely know. I've shot quite a few bachelorette parties and most of the time it is alright. Pay is not great but it is fun and less stressful than say a wedding.

It is not unlikely that ladies may loosen up quite a bit after a few drinks and start behaving inappropriately. Which is not a big deal for me if we are in a public place but they often have a place rented for the party. So if I end up in a closed location with 10 or so drunk ladies and they start making inappropriate jokes or comments it can become uncomfortable.

I'm not awkward or insecure about myself and have no problem working with a group of girls. I don't shy away from a light flirt if they initiate it to keep them confident and smiling for the camera during posed shots but I'm there for the pictures and not to be their boy toy after the stripper leaves.

That being said I've never had any incidents with this but there were a few times when I felt uncomfortable being there. Have you ever had similar issues? What did you do and what advice could you give when dealing with such situations?

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links
mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2015 19:21 |  #2

I would say you need more experience and practice. Have fun with it and don't take it so seriously :)

Avangard Photography (external link)

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2015 06:52 |  #3

mcap1972 wrote in post #17379642 (external link)
I would say you need more experience and practice. Have fun with it and don't take it so seriously :)

True that. Always useful to get more experience and practice. I'm trying to have fun and most of the time it is fun :)

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 13, 2015 09:46 |  #4

more and more i wish i had been a photographer when i was single.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 13, 2015 09:58 |  #5

mike_311 wrote in post #17380339 (external link)

^^ This :-D

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,376 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 13, 2015 10:08 |  #6

Isn't one of the unwritten rules to never take pictures at a bachelor/bachelorette party especially when the entertainment arrives? I would think that a photographer at this type of event would make the participants uncomfortable. Maybe it's just the bachelor parties I have attended but I would think the guest of honor would be horrified at seeing pictures later. ;):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2015 12:25 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #17380365 (external link)
Isn't one of the unwritten rules to never take pictures at a bachelor/bachelorette party especially when the entertainment arrives? I would think that a photographer at this type of event would make the participants uncomfortable. Maybe it's just the bachelor parties I have attended but I would think the guest of honor would be horrified at seeing pictures later. ;):)

I found that girls mostly like it when you take photos during the first part of their party. They give the bride-to-be some challenges and play little games together. Have a picnic, etc. They usually want some group shots too and you leave by the time the real party begins.

But that's not always the case. Sometimes they get naughty before you leave ...and sometimes before you arrive.

mike_311 wrote in post #17380339 (external link)

:D

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 13, 2015 12:39 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #17380365 (external link)

I was thinking the same, but this is a different time. We're in the age of half dressed bathroom selfies as Facebook profile pics. I've been married 15 years, if you sit and think about it, the changes over just that time have been mind blowing.

No real advice for the OP except just be honest with the client and their friends. No need to make an announcement or anything, just keep it above board, so to speak.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

1,567 views & 1 like for this thread
Shooting bachelorette parties as a young man
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.