Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Jan 2015 (Monday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fighting banding

rapurimanka
140 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by rapurimanka.

Jan 12, 2015 16:00 |  #1

Hello, i'm here with VERY weird problem, but still. Trying to push maximum i can from my 6d, like it can be done on nikon (http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/nikon-d750/13 (external link))

So i took a test photo with -5ev and then pushed it via ACR +5 exposure. I have noise, but that's not the problem. The problem is bluish in shadows and banding. Any easy way to get rid of them? Make shadows black (not blue) and banding disappear?

I used TOPAZ DENOISE (http://www.topazlabs.c​om/denoise (external link)) for banding, and its good. But shadows are still bluish.

Original RAW file: https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com/u/5020311/​-5.CR2 (external link)
For WB - Tungsten light was used

p.s. fyi -3ev can be pushed back without big noise. -4 little big harder cause some little banding exist, but still possible. Only -5 and more is a problem.

6D | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 24-105 4 | Lightroom 4
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/27393138@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 12, 2015 16:06 |  #2

Don't underexpose.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2015 16:13 |  #3

It sounds as if you want to shoot 5 stops under you should rush out and buy a nikon. I guess I dont understand the need to massively underexpose on purpose.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2015 16:45 |  #4

you probably cant do what your trying to do with the 6d.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2015 17:17 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #17379363 (external link)
It sounds as if you want to shoot 5 stops under you should rush out and buy a nikon. I guess I dont understand the need to massively underexpose on purpose.

I'm assuming the OP is testing how hard he can push the darker sections of an image (i.e. raising really dark shadow areas when you're faced with a scene with very high dynamic range).

To OP: the short answer is that you might be able to do some processing, but you've hit the thing Canon sensors don't do well (though I understand the 6D is about the best of the bunch - of the Canon DSLRs - for this application). The unhelpful answer is to hope that Canon either start buying sensors from Sony, or fix their long standing issues.

Otherwise, you'd have to bracket and blend multiple exposures (at minimum, one taken for the highlights, and one taken for the shadows). Though perhaps Magic Lantern's Dual ISO feature might work on the 6D (I haven't checked).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

rapurimanka
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2015 03:00 |  #6

Ye, looks like dual-iso is a good way to solve this issue. Thx.

But canon should work on this stuff :(

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,463 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2015 03:44 |  #7

But canon should work on this stuff :(

Hope springs eternal.....

Elie / אלי

rapurimanka
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2015 07:45 |  #8

Final question, canon didn't announce any DSLR's on CES 2015, what's the next exhibition where they can announce anything?

sponsored links

1,295 views & 1 like for this thread
Fighting banding
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.