Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 week China trip.. decisions, decisions

jabiqq
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 13, 2015 18:14 |  #1

Im going with my partner to China for 2 weeks: Hong Kong, Yellow Mountains, Shanghai & Beijing.. so mostly crowdy cities with a nature break in the middle - now having a difficult decision to make - what gear to take to keep it as light as possible, but not to regret not having the right tools with me..
The choice is:
6D
+ Samyang 14mm/2.8
+ Sigma 35mm/1.4
+ Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro
+ Canon 200mm/2.8L
EOS M + 22mm/2.0 (~35mm ff)

Im thinking of taking EOS M+22mm pancake for regular shots plus 6D+200/2.8 for the rest, what will save me from changing lenses (which I want to avoid on a holiday).. just wondering if the 6D will get much use with the tele or will I just end up with a hundred of silly candid shots :) As difficult as shooting 200mm prime may be, Id hate to leave it at home.. Im in love with this lens and what it produces. Still.. Samyang is great for unusual shots, Sigma shines when its dark and Tamron may be a more reasonable choice than 200, to show a bit of background. Oh dear.. any suggestions?

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC | Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,199 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 14, 2015 03:44 |  #2

You seem to have most possibilities covered. Obviously it is up to personal choice what you use but I could certainly see you getting plenty of use from the 6D while wandering around Hong Kong. I use my 5DIII a lot, with either a 40mm or my 24-105. I also use my 70-200 an awful lot.

If you post a list of the sort of stuff you like to shoot I could put together a list of places to go in HK.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2015 04:46 |  #3

Not an easy decision IMHO. :rolleyes: Is 200mm your favorite "long" focal length ? Personnaly I've switched from this 200mm f/2.8 to a 70-200 f/4, really more versatile for my usage, with the same weight.

An other option would be to add a cheap MF adapted 50mm lens (Olympus Zuiko, Carl Zeiss Jena, Takumar...) on your EOS-M.
Then your pack would be a more pratical equivalent to 35mm, 80mm, 200mm

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

jabiqq
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by jabiqq. (2 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2015 11:54 |  #4

Thanks. 200mm prime requires some thinking outside the box, hence shots are more unusual.. thats why I like it. I can frame similarly to 80-90mm with just a few steps back, so missing this FL shouldnt be a huge issue. This is my conclusion after trying a few setups, including 90mm Tamron on a third body (film 300V).. but adding a third lens/body seems impractical on a backpacking trip.

50mm lens on the EOS-M isnt a bad idea, but I dont have the EF-M adaptor & doubt it will get much use after the trip; though my tiny Industar 50/3.5 would keep it compact.

Its my first visit to China/HK, so well be doing the usual tourist spots; including some night walks - I guess 35/2 should manage.

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC | Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

jabiqq
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 28, 2015 11:39 |  #5

Just posted some pics to Flickr.. 200mm was great, 35mm good for snapshots - overall a very versatile combination! Here is my quick selection:
https://www.flickr.com …7/sets/72157651​194751989/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

906 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 week China trip.. decisions, decisions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.