Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2015 (Monday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple Passes Nikon...

ejenner
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2015 22:17 |  #16

It's because Nikon users are too 'advanced' to post on Flickr.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 13, 2015 09:26 |  #17

Not remotely surprising. Right now in my office I'm aware of 1 canon camera, possibly 1 Nikon, and about 500 phones/tablets...

Phones/tablets do more and can be used for things other than photos, so of course they're going to be more popular.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

SixDeeFan
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 13, 2015 09:53 |  #18

Luckless wrote in post #17380315 (external link)
Not remotely surprising. Right now in my office I'm aware of 1 canon camera, possibly 1 Nikon, and about 500 phones/tablets...

Phones/tablets do more and can be used for things other than photos, so of course they're going to be more popular.

I agree...what's surprising to me is the fact that it took THIS long to occur...

6D MARK II | EF 50 f/1.2L USM | EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,086 posts
Gallery: 384 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dlee13. (2 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2015 23:39 |  #19

You have to keep in mind that Flickr is a photo sharing website, just like Imgur so it shouldn't be that strange or anything to denounce Nikon. Now if Apple overtook Nikon on 500px, then you can start scratching your heads!

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 14, 2015 07:42 |  #20

What exactly makes 500px any more immune to cell phone sourced photos than Flickr? Smart phones sell in the millions compared to the tens of thousands for dSLR, or probably thousands for the highest end Nikon or Canon lines. People can do some really wonderful work with many of the better cell-cameras, and they're more likely to have one on them than a larger camera.

It isn't a race of 'which is better', but a rather practical issue of what kind of camera has more units out there in the wild. And I don't see large format photographers complaining about how many more medium and 35mm or smaller cameras are out there. In fact the few comments I've ever seen on the subject from the realm of large format photography has been how wonderful it is that it is still rather rare, and how much more they can charge for the work because of it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

DGStinner
982 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 14, 2015 07:52 |  #21

I wonder if 500px has those statistics anywhere so we can compare the breakdown to Flickr. I tried finding it on their site but was unsuccessful.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,086 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2015 07:59 |  #22

Luckless wrote in post #17381738 (external link)
What exactly makes 500px any more immune to cell phone sourced photos than Flickr? Smart phones sell in the millions compared to the tens of thousands for dSLR, or probably thousands for the highest end Nikon or Canon lines. People can do some really wonderful work with many of the better cell-cameras, and they're more likely to have one on them than a larger camera.

It isn't a race of 'which is better', but a rather practical issue of what kind of camera has more units out there in the wild. And I don't see large format photographers complaining about how many more medium and 35mm or smaller cameras are out there. In fact the few comments I've ever seen on the subject from the realm of large format photography has been how wonderful it is that it is still rather rare, and how much more they can charge for the work because of it.

If you Google Flickr, the first link is "Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing".
Now if you Google 500px, what you see is "The Premier Photography Community / 500px".

So if you were just a general consumer looking to host some images to post on your social media sites/blog, would you go for the "Premier Photography Site' which has less sharing options, or the normal 'Photo Sharing' site that has a lot more sharing options. I'm not saying that there's no one that uploads to 500px with phones, but their images are likely buried far away were they can rarely be seen.

I'm not saying that either one is superior to another, I'm just saying that you're more likely to find images taken with a broad type of camera on a more photo sharing orientated site compared to one that is based purely on Photography.

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,086 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dlee13. (2 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2015 08:01 |  #23

DGStinner wrote in post #17381747 (external link)
I wonder if 500px has those statistics anywhere so we can compare the breakdown to Flickr. I tried finding it on their site but was unsuccessful.

I found it!

I have the 500px Inisght app on my iPhone and you can see all time stats for 500px which they list the most popular cameras. I screen capped it on my phone for everyone to see so here it is:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/CfHdX1E.png

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/pnRPHhF.png

As you can see there is certainly no iPhone is that list and Nikon is high up there.

EDIT

Here is a media kit (kinda old now, the image above was just taken but stats are similar) showing several stats from 500px which includes the top 50 cameras used, no Apple in that list either. Sorry Luckless  :p

http://static.500px.ne​t/media/500px_mediakit​.pdf (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,242 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 14, 2015 08:08 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #24

And? When they announce that Apple passes Nikon on the National Geographic website, I'll be impressed. Kodak Instamatics in their day had a much larger market share than Nikons and there were more photos taken on them. But they were all in a shoe box under Grandma's bed, not posted on a boundless website for the world to see. It's a rather pointless observation.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 14, 2015 09:42 |  #25

Dlee13 wrote in post #17381758 (external link)
If you Google Flickr, the first link is "Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing".
Now if you Google 500px, what you see is "The Premier Photography Community / 500px".

So if you were just a general consumer looking to host some images to post on your social media sites/blog, would you go for the "Premier Photography Site' which has less sharing options, or the normal 'Photo Sharing' site that has a lot more sharing options. I'm not saying that there's no one that uploads to 500px with phones, but their images are likely buried far away were they can rarely be seen.

I'm not saying that either one is superior to another, I'm just saying that you're more likely to find images taken with a broad type of camera on a more photo sharing orientated site compared to one that is based purely on Photography.

And if I go googling for somewhere to host my photos with general search terms, then 500px doesn't even come up soon enough to even make it into the running for me to consider posting any photos, dSLR, phone, or other. I know lots of people who pull out their cell phone and talk about how it does 'everything your giant camera does', so I have no doubt that there could easily be a group of people jumping on the 500px bandwagon for posting their auto-filtered iPhone photos.

Some of them might even post decent photos.

The only thing that 'protects' 500px is the fact that they're extremely new in the grand scheme of the internet, and barely known.

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,086 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2015 19:42 |  #26

Luckless wrote in post #17381886 (external link)
And if I go googling for somewhere to host my photos with general search terms, then 500px doesn't even come up soon enough to even make it into the running for me to consider posting any photos, dSLR, phone, or other. I know lots of people who pull out their cell phone and talk about how it does 'everything your giant camera does', so I have no doubt that there could easily be a group of people jumping on the 500px bandwagon for posting their auto-filtered iPhone photos.

Some of them might even post decent photos.

The only thing that 'protects' 500px is the fact that they're extremely new in the grand scheme of the internet, and barely known.

In your first pointless comment you asked what makes 500px more immune to phone picture compared to Flickr, now you say that 500px is the last choice for most people and doesn't even come up in searches. There's your answer. The whole point of this isn't about brand vs brand but like some typical keyboard warrior you try turn it into that.

Both sites have different target audiences, Flickr is more broad and 500px is targeted towards photographers. As i already said there would be some cell phone users on 500px, but they are clearly a minority. Also 500px has been around since 2009 so it isn't new, it's also very popular in the photography community.

You pretty much repeated yourself with the same pointless thing so save everyone's time and please don't post again unless you have something constructive to say.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 15, 2015 07:22 |  #27

500px relies mainly on word of mouth. They have a surprisingly poor general search result ranking if I'm not specifically googling their site name. And they are new... Compared to sites like Flickr, Photobucket, and a half dozen other hosting companies that were launched in the tail end of the 90's and first few years of the 00's. Sure, 500px is growing and doing well as a site, but they're still not a name commonly known outside of fairly dedicated photographers.

However, you still haven't actually given any kind of a response as to what is special or magical about 500px that will stop iphone users from deciding that they too are photographers, and that their work is good enough that it should be hosted up there with other photographers.

And if photos from cellphones do edge out content produced from other devices in volume? So what? Seriously, you've apparently glossed over my entire point that starts from my first post in this thread: Cellphones and those using cellphones vastly outnumber dedicated equipment such as dSLR cameras. Frankly we should be surprised they're not already claiming a larger bulk of the images produced on sites like Flickr and 500px, simply because there is so much more content being produced with them.

Plus, don't forget that many modern cellphones actually have a fairly decent camera on them, and photographers have been doing wonderful work with them.

Dlee13, you are the one twisting this into something more than it is, and I'm merely pointing out the meaninglessness of the situation due to numbers.

Seriously. So what if photos from an iPhone out number those taken with Canon or Nikon on any given photo site? What does it actually matter? Are all out photos, the ones we take on fancy and expensive equipment, somehow lesser in quality or value? I have a few photos which were taken on my cell phone which are more valuable to me than what I would have taken on my 7D, because I didn't have my 7D with me at the time and wouldn't have gotten any photo at all. I also wouldn't dream about going out birding or looking for foxes if all I had with me was a cellphone, because that just isn't remotely close to the right tool for such a job, so why would I use the phone when I have access to something far more suitable to the task?

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,086 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2015 08:00 |  #28

Luckless wrote in post #17383476 (external link)
500px relies mainly on word of mouth. They have a surprisingly poor general search result ranking if I'm not specifically googling their site name. And they are new... Compared to sites like Flickr, Photobucket, and a half dozen other hosting companies that were launched in the tail end of the 90's and first few years of the 00's. Sure, 500px is growing and doing well as a site, but they're still not a name commonly known outside of fairly dedicated photographers.

As I have said SO MANY TIMES already, 500px is not about image hosting. If you do photography and are serious about it, you would speak to other photographers who would recommend sites like 500px so obviously just the general consumer who uses phones would go for the sites you mentioned, not a site that is TARGETED towards PHOTOGRAPHERS.

If someone is looking to buy a car that gets them from A to B and don't really care about the specs or technicality of things, they're going to go for a vehicle such as a Corolla that is targeted towards them. Then if another individual wants a vehicle for a specific use or need, they will look at vehicles targeted towards that specific use (you're not gonna buy a Prius for off roading, although someone like with no sense like Luckless might). Like sites like Imgur/Photobucket/Flic​kr, they are going to attract different kinds of users like 500px. Will there be people who use stuff that isn't suited to them? Of course there is, but no one would take notice of them and they would be heavily in the minority.

However, you still haven't actually given any kind of a response as to what is special or magical about 500px that will stop iphone users from deciding that they too are photographers, and that their work is good enough that it should be hosted up there with other photographers.

Ever since 500px was launched it has been a site that encourages you to only upload your best images. Pretty much everyone who does photography and those who don't would use their phone to take a photo at some point in time, but does that mean they would upload it to 500px as well as social media? NO. If I was going for a photo related job I would be wanting to show my clients my best images in the highest quality. You can capture the best moment and images with ANY camera, but they won't be the best quality (once cameras allow full manual control and RAW, this can change) which is why certain applications fit certain content.

And if photos from cellphones do edge out content produced from other devices in volume? So what? Seriously, you've apparently glossed over my entire point that starts from my first post in this thread: Cellphones and those using cellphones vastly outnumber dedicated equipment such as dSLR cameras. Frankly we should be surprised they're not already claiming a larger bulk of the images produced on sites like Flickr and 500px, simply because there is so much more content being produced with them.

Your stupidity amazes me.

Plus, don't forget that many modern cellphones actually have a fairly decent camera on them, and photographers have been doing wonderful work with them.

I never said they have a bad sensor so you are talking to yourself there.

Dlee13, you are the one twisting this into something more than it is, and I'm merely pointing out the meaninglessness of the situation due to numbers.

Your comments have been pointless and repetitive. You must not know how to read or are so bored you have nothing better to do that to post the same pointless thing over and over.

Seriously. So what if photos from an iPhone out number those taken with Canon or Nikon on any given photo site? What does it actually matter? Are all out photos, the ones we take on fancy and expensive equipment, somehow lesser in quality or value? I have a few photos which were taken on my cell phone which are more valuable to me than what I would have taken on my 7D, because I didn't have my 7D with me at the time and wouldn't have gotten any photo at all. I also wouldn't dream about going out birding or looking for foxes if all I had with me was a cellphone, because that just isn't remotely close to the right tool for such a job, so why would I use the phone when I have access to something far more suitable to the task?

If you had used 500px you may notice people like to sell their images on there. If I see a photo I liked but it was taken with a cell phone, do you really think it would be suitable to get it printed as a large canvas? You're the only one that is so hurt about this so go talk to yourself about it. I can tell you're starved for attention and know you're wrong, so there is no point in replying to you after this. Have fun in your little delusional world :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,063 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2015 10:30 |  #29

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17378940 (external link)
Yes there is a surprise.

Luckless wrote in post #17380315 (external link)
Not remotely surprising.

Two opposed points of view. I definitely agree with Luckless; there is no surprise whatsoever. No, there isn't.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 08, 2018 16:01 |  #30

Well this is a blast from the past...

Randomly poked around google for a minute to try and pull up some recent stats on 500px, and the only thing that was coming up with real numbers was a 3 year old blog post, https://iso.500px.com …omoting-is-full-of-holes/ (external link) - Where three of the top five cameras for uploads were... iPhones... Weird...

Those were over a given period, not total uploads. No idea what the total numbers look like, but would be very curious to see more stats if anyone happens to know where to find them.

sponsored links

5,572 views & 8 likes for this thread
Apple Passes Nikon...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.