Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on lenses

Kickrox
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kickrox.

Jan 11, 2015 22:38 |  #1

I am an amateur photographer who is trying to get more serious about my photography. This is a hobby of mine for only a couple of years now. I currently own a Canon Rebel T3 with the 18-55mm kit lens, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, and very recently aquired a 50mm 1.8 fix. since the 50mm is so new to me I am looking for advice on the best way and subjects to use with this lens. I love the depth of field it provides. I'm learning that the subjects need to be quite a distance away to capture a full frame. People call this their prime lens but taking it out on a day to day basis I am having trouble. Everything is too close.

I am also looking for advice on getting a wide angle lens. I mostly enjoy taking landscape pictures and would like to get more into night photography.

Lastly I would like advise in a telephoto lens. I have used a 75-30"mm and loved it. I took some pictures of a full moon and they came out very nice. Would this be a good starter telephone lens? Any tripod advice would be helpful as well. I only own a gorilla pod but am looking for a full size one good for a beginner.

Again i consider myself a beginner. I have taken a hands on workshop that took me completely out of the auto setting. I know the basics. Any insight for someone like me looking to get more knowledgable would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your words!

Canon EOS 1100D / EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF 50mm f/1.8 | Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye

sponsored links
melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by melcat.

Jan 12, 2015 02:17 |  #2

Kickrox wrote in post #17378131 (external link)
People call this their prime lens but taking it out on a day to day basis I am having trouble. Everything is too close.

Yes, it would be. This was an "everyday shooting" lens on 24mm x 36mm film cameras of the 1960s (now known as "full frame"), where of course it had a much wider field of view. Even then, it was considered a little "too close" as 43mm would have been better but the lens technology of the day couldn't build such a lens as economically.

On your camera it's a special-purpose lens, commonly used for posed portraits of a single person. It's fun to learn about shallow depth of field with it, but it isn't a general-purpose lens like your 18-55.

You should concentrate on your 18-55 zoom to start with.

P.S. You are using the original definition of "prime" lens, meaning the one you primarily have on your camera that probably came with it. It's mutated since to mean "non-zoom". I try never to use "prime" in my posts because of this abiguity. And, as you've discovered, one does not imply the other!

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2015 02:57 |  #3

Forget about the 75-300, it's generally recognised as one of the worst lenses that Canon make. Get he 55-250 instead. It may be cheap, but it's darn good and will serve you well.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,200 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 12, 2015 04:40 |  #4

Kickrox wrote in post #17378131 (external link)
I am an amateur photographer who is trying to get more serious about my photography. This is a hobby of mine for only a couple of years now. I currently own a Canon Rebel T3 with the 18-55mm kit lens, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, and very recently aquired a 50mm 1.8 fix. since the 50mm is so new to me I am looking for advice on the best way and subjects to use with this lens. I love the depth of field it provides. I'm learning that the subjects need to be quite a distance away to capture a full frame. People call this their prime lens but taking it out on a day to day basis I am having trouble. Everything is too close.

I am also looking for advice on getting a wide angle lens. I mostly enjoy taking landscape pictures and would like to get more into night photography.

Lastly I would like advise in a telephoto lens. I have used a 75-30"mm and loved it. I took some pictures of a full moon and they came out very nice. Would this be a good starter telephone lens? Any tripod advice would be helpful as well. I only own a gorilla pod but am looking for a full size one good for a beginner.

Again i consider myself a beginner. I have taken a hands on workshop that took me completely out of the auto setting. I know the basics. Any insight for someone like me looking to get more knowledgable would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your words!

Heya,

If you want wider angle, and you're not satisfied with the 18mm end of the 18-55, nor the fisheye look of the 10-17, consider a Canon EF-S 10-18 STM. Very good optics, ultrawide to wide, and inexpensive brand new ($300).

Night photography is a whole different world, so it depends on whether you're talking about general night photography, or astro (night sky, stars, etc).

If the 50mm fixed lens is too long for your preference, get a shorter fast prime. Such as: 28mm F1.8, 24mm F2.8, 30mm F1.4, etc. The EF-S 24mm F2.8 is decent, great optically, reasonably fast with F2.8, and very small and a pretty good width for field of view on aps-c. It's also only $150 new.

For telephoto, I would start with a 55-250 STM instead of the 300mm variations. It's optically very superior and the 50mm difference is negligible at best.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by farmer1957.

Jan 12, 2015 04:46 |  #5

What is your budget ?
And what area of photography do you want to start in first.

I have a very old ef 70-210mm canon lens that takes some very sharp photos.

You can use any lens for landscape, some inexpensive lenses and lenses that cost a few thousand.

You can photograph landscape with a 600mm if you are far enough away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will need to plan your focal length < distance between the camera and the subject >
And adjust your focal length to the lens you are using.

I got a couple photographs of my dogs with my 17mm that they were so close they could of licked the lens.
If you are buying lenses on a budget or you really don't have the best lenses there is still allot of things you can do except your just going to have to understand at what focal lengths you lenses work best .

farmer

Kickrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 14:28 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #6

Thank you. When I shot the full moon, I was all the way at 300mm. How much of a difference is the 250 compared to 300?

Canon EOS 1100D / EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF 50mm f/1.8 | Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye

Kickrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 14:44 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #7

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Just a couple of questions.

I love my fish eye lens but I would like a wide-angle lens without the fisheye look the fish eye gives. I take it the 10-18 you suggested will not have that? I guess what I am looking for is more of a panoramic look when taking landscape pictures?

The night photography I would like to get into taking night sky and star pictures. I assume from what you said there are probably lenses specifically made for these types of pictures?

The 24mm F25.8 sound like it would be perfect.

You are the second to suggest the 55-250 and answered my question to the other person on the 50mm difference.

Do you have a suggestion on a tripod for someone like me who is just getting started?

Thanks again!!

Kickrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 14:47 as a reply to  @ farmer1957's post |  #8

My budget would be anywhere between $200-400 right now for lenses. I think the person who replied above answered all of my questions for now.

I am really into basic landscape shots. I am never far enough away to use a 600mm.

I do need to play with my lenses a lot more like you said and start to understand at what length they work best.

Thanks for you insight!!

Kickrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 12, 2015 14:49 as a reply to  @ melcat's post |  #9

That makes a lot more sense. Thank you!!

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 12, 2015 15:04 as a reply to  @ Kickrox's post |  #10

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, plus the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM are as good as it gets for starter lenses
I would sell everything (the lenses) you have and get these. They will take you a long way.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,552 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2015 09:01 |  #11

ebiggs wrote in post #17379219 (external link)
The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, plus the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM are as good as it gets for starter lenses
I would sell everything (the lenses) you have and get these. They will take you a long way.

I'd second this advice!...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 13, 2015 12:37 |  #12

Kickrox wrote in post #17379144 (external link)
Thank you. When I shot the full moon, I was all the way at 300mm. How much of a difference is the 250 compared to 300?

Not a lot.

These are (simulated) 250, 300 and 400mm.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/250%20300%20400%20mm.jpg

For the Moon you really want something longer than 300mm. To fill the frame you need around 1500mm (yes, the moon is very small).

For wide-view constellation/star trail/Milky Way images you really want wide and fast. I've not seen any such shots with the 10-18mm but it should be possible to get something.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 17, 2015 02:51 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #17378376 (external link)
Forget about the 75-300, it's generally recognised as one of the worst lenses that Canon make. Get he 55-250 instead. It may be cheap, but it's darn good and will serve you well.

I agree with hollis here. When I had bought my T3 it came with the 18-55 and the 75-300. I hated the 75-300 it was slow as all hell to focus, but I was able to get some good shots but it took far to much work to get decent pictures with it. If you are not looking to spend much the 55-250 is the way to go. I would get the newer STM version since out of the 3 it seems to have the best image quality out of them.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

sponsored links

2,654 views & 7 likes for this thread
Need advice on lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.