Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 10 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 17:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7 II - pictures and discussions

Tomminator855
207 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 17, 2015 08:09 |  #241

If I would like to get an M-Nex adapter which one should I get ?

Sony A7II ,FE35mm

sponsored links
Aznattic
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2015 23:14 |  #242

To the a7 owners, did you guys come from anything with a non digital viewfinder? I played around with one at Best Buy, and while i love the performance of the camera (looking at the a7s), i can't stand the digital OLED viewfinder. Looks good, but i'm used to a non digital one. The one at bestbuy would sometimes look somewhat pixelated as well. Is this something you just get used to?

7D II - Canon 24-70 II F2.8 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - Canon 18-135 STM

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,472 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 17, 2015 23:46 |  #243

Aznattic wrote in post #17387617 (external link)
To the a7 owners, did you guys come from anything with a non digital viewfinder? I played around with one at Best Buy, and while i love the performance of the camera (looking at the a7s), i can't stand the digital OLED viewfinder. Looks good, but i'm used to a non digital one. The one at bestbuy would sometimes look somewhat pixelated as well. Is this something you just get used to?

The a7 and a7R was my first experience with a camera with an EVF. I loved it instantly. If the shoe doesn't fit (if you hate the EVF), then don't buy it. It may not be a better fit for you even after you use it a while.

For my part, I don't want to go back to a crappy optical viewfinder, which doesn't let me zoom in, have focus peaking, face detection AF, or see exposure changes in real time. Optical viewfinders are dinosaurs ready for extinction.

But, I'm not defending the current state of the art with EVF technology. It is satisfactory for me, but not for everyone. If it looks bad to you now, then maybe the quality of the EVF (like the frame-rate) needs to improve more before you can be comfortable. I think they are going to continue to improve as the technology advances and matures.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 17, 2015 23:56 |  #244

Yes.. My biggest problem with the A7R viewfinder is in low light.. the lag and resolution is horrific. That's when I get out the 6D.

I think the EVF on Fuji's XT-1 is probably better, but the rest of the camera is not (IMO).

Hopefully they'll add some improvements to the EVF on the next A7x/A9 release.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 18, 2015 00:02 |  #245

I came from a 6D, I definitely miss the OVF sometimes, but you adapt and learn to appreciate the advantages of an EVF really quickly... at least, I did.

BrandonSi wrote in post #17387657 (external link)
Yes.. My biggest problem with the A7R viewfinder is in low light.. the lag and resolution is horrific. That's when I get out the 6D.

I think the EVF on Fuji's XT-1 is probably better, but the rest of the camera is not (IMO).

Hopefully they'll add some improvements to the EVF on the next A7x/A9 release.

From all that I've read the a7S is significantly better than the a7R in EVF performance, it's one of the big reasons I'm selling my a7R to get the a7S (the biggest reason being the low light performance obviously).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,122 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 18, 2015 02:35 |  #246

The fuji xt1 was the first body I had with evf and I loved it (the evf that is), I then had the a7r and loved that too. Now that I'm back with canon I do miss it sometimes.

The fuji x100t has an interesting setup with hybrid ovf/evf. You can set it to ovf but have a digital section in the corner which is a 100% zoom of the selected focus point meaning manual focussing can be achieved quickly. I would like to see more manufacturers implementing a selectable viewfinder including the hybrid option

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 18, 2015 09:27 |  #247

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17387663 (external link)
From all that I've read the a7S is significantly better than the a7R in EVF performance, it's one of the big reasons I'm selling my a7R to get the a7S (the biggest reason being the low light performance obviously).

Good to hear.. now here's hoping they implement the same (or better) EVF in the A9! :)

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 18, 2015 09:41 |  #248

BrandonSi wrote in post #17388065 (external link)
Good to hear.. now here's hoping they implement the same (or better) EVF in the A9! :)

From what I understand it's better because the sensor is so much more sensitive in lower light, so I wouldn't hold your breath too long unfortunately...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

bwallan
100 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 18, 2015 17:05 as a reply to  @ Aznattic's post |  #249

The A7R was my 1st camera with an EVF. I now also own the A7S. I'll never go back to an optical viewfinder! The EVF is so much better for astrophotography, nightscape photography and low light work I'm not too sure how I got anything done with an OVF.

bwa

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,491 posts
Gallery: 1868 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 19, 2015 05:58 |  #250

I was sold on EVF with the Nex-6....they've only gotten better with each gen.
I bet within 2 more gen's the refresh rate will negate the lag of lore but the
dinosaur non de plume will have to wait until a scientist at sony/pentax/fuji/samsu​ng/etc.
break the 400mm focal length barrier 35mm equiv.
At that point the EOS will hear taps being played across the field.
Considering that, I look at least weakly to see if Fuji has announced the 120-400mm. At that
point I can jump assuming by then the buttons on the back of the X-T1 are larger.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Aznattic
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2015 12:08 |  #251

I never even thought to try the EVF in low light. It does make sense though since you can see in real time for taking a picture. I did play around with the a7s in decent lighting at best buy again and it seems to pixelate quite often. Perhaps it is defective or needs a firmware update?

Does the EVF keep up on moving subjects such as cars at a race track?

7D II - Canon 24-70 II F2.8 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - Canon 18-135 STM

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by thenextguy.

Jan 19, 2015 12:08 |  #252

Well, my a7 II is on the way. Might be dumping all my Canon gear. I do wish there were more lenses available.

Is there anything wrong with buying the 55mm from this seller here: http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …af-lens-the-sony-55mm-fe/ (external link)

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 19, 2015 12:50 as a reply to  @ thenextguy's post |  #253

They aren't an authorized Sony retailer, so that 3-year warranty is from the seller, not Sony. But maybe they have a good history of warranty service.

Neil

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 20, 2015 10:00 |  #254

^Thanks.

For those who have used both, how does the FE 24-70 compare to the Canon 24-105. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the 24-70. I've heard it's kind of mediocre. That is kind of how I would describe the 24-105, but I've found lots of uses for that lens despite its flaws.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,498 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 20, 2015 11:09 |  #255

I can't give you a scientific comparison, just my personal opinion but I think the FE 24-70 is terrific...as long as you remember to apply lens correction to rid your image of distortion. Of course, I also have the 24-105 for my 5D3 and never considered it mediocre either. I suppose it all depends on what you shoot and how much of a pixel peeper you are.

Here's a shot I took yesterday using the FE 24-70 on my a7r:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8639/16294399146_0710b57f1a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qPT4​bj  (external link)
Palm Springs Air Museum (external link) by navydoc45 (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links

236,406 views & 488 likes for this thread
Sony a7 II - pictures and discussions
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.