Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 05:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying a 70D - what to seek, what to avoid

awacsCZE
120 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 15, 2015 05:33 |  #1

Hello,

I want to ask for help with the buying the replacement of the 600D. I was looking for 70D, but the huge amount of focus issue threads all over the internet makes me hesitate.

I want to ask, in some simple way, how do I recognize the good 70D? Is it immediate for the eye, or you have to seek it on the computer? Are new 70Ds also included in this issue, or just older ones? To that, is a way how to recognize new 70D? Like timecode on lenses. Is 70D worth the risk? I don´t want to go to entry level again and I like the dust and water sealing of the 70D. Is 70D a good way from 600D?

I have 50mm f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 L lenses to test it on. Any advices how to test it, or just buy it, test it and then "attack" the service? :lol:

Thank you very much for some advices.

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 15, 2015 07:02 |  #2

I bought a refurb from Canon when I was able to snag one for real cheap as a backup and mine does not show any focus issues. It has no more shot-to-shot difference than my 5D Mark III. I have been happy with it so far although I have not used it much yet due to winter/work.

I would just buy it, test it and go from there. If anything you can exchange it for another if you notice focus issues. But remember, AF will always have some shot-to-shot differences... So don't expect every single shot to be perfect, especially if the lenses are not microadjusted properly on top of it.

Good luck! It is a really nice camera.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

lesz42
96 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 15, 2015 07:40 |  #3

seems every camera, from every manufacturer has some sort of issue... better not buy any of them!

otherwise enjoy! its a great camera!

raksphoto
476 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by raksphoto with reason 'clarity'.

Jan 15, 2015 08:16 |  #4

70D is a wonderful camera, and it sells at a fantastic price point.

This camera does not have any focus issues. You will likely very much enjoy the touch-screen control, WiFi and articulated screen features. The AF is simplified relative to the 7D or the newer 7D Mark II; it's a less technical camera than either 7D, easier to use.

You are accepting virtuallly no risk to buy this camera. While easy to use, the late-modern DSLR still has some learning curve. You'll get more out of an artistic tool the more you understand it. Aside from the user manual, I read a HowTo book or two to help familiarize myself with the 70D feature-set, and how to use it. You may also find such an approach helpful in your photography.

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

crofter
310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 15, 2015 10:29 |  #5

I bought a 70D a couple of weeks ago, I've not noticed any focus issues with any of my lenses from 50mm 1.8 up to Sigma 150-500, excellent camera at an excellent price.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Colin Glover.

Jan 15, 2015 11:47 |  #6

I've just bought one, and I thought I might have an issue as it was missing focus on people about a foot behind the main group of people. However, it was only after looking at pictures from people with a focus problem that I realised mine was fine. The affected cameras will apparently lock on focus but the image will be out of focus. Will you be buying online, or from a B&M store? If you're buying from a store, then a good dealer will let you test it in the shop, so you'll know. A reputable online dealer will exchange a defective camera. If you do end up with a faulty camera, the issue is either fast lenses not focusing properly (you'll know by testing your L lens), or the focus sensor not being properly aligned with the points in the viewfinder. From what I read in another two thread's on here, if it's the latter, then you need to let Canon service know what you think, otherwise they won't check this and you'll get the camera back unfixed. But the likelihood of getting a faulty one is slim. Just buy and enjoy.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 15, 2015 13:50 |  #7

I have 2 and neither has an issue with focus. The fool operating the camera, on the other hand, has too many issues to list.

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

grasshopper315
112 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 17, 2015 06:52 |  #8

awacsCZE wrote in post #17383377 (external link)
I have 50mm f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 L lenses to test it on....

Only additional comment I have to add is do not judge the camera's focus consistency with the 50 f/1.8. While it's a sharp lens I only get a 60% to 70% in focus rate (when using optical view finder) with my 50 wide open using several different bodies. You should be fine with the 70D.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 17, 2015 07:01 |  #9

awacsCZE wrote in post #17383377 (external link)
Hello,

I want to ask for help with the buying the replacement of the 600D. I was looking for 70D, but the huge amount of focus issue threads all over the internet makes me hesitate.

I want to ask, in some simple way, how do I recognize the good 70D? Is it immediate for the eye, or you have to seek it on the computer? Are new 70Ds also included in this issue, or just older ones? To that, is a way how to recognize new 70D? Like timecode on lenses. Is 70D worth the risk? I don´t want to go to entry level again and I like the dust and water sealing of the 70D. Is 70D a good way from 600D?

I have 50mm f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 L lenses to test it on. Any advices how to test it, or just buy it, test it and then "attack" the service? :lol:

Thank you very much for some advices.

Heya,

The 70D is a minor upgrade over the 600D (T3i). Slightly better ISO performance. Better AF, but still not like anything you'd find from a 7D/1D/5D3, better video AF but that's new tech in general.

Throw the 70-200 on the 70D and test a shot in good light. You'll know right away whether there is a focus issue or not. Test on your 50 as well, in good light.

The threads about focus issues are for every camera Canon releases. It just happens to have been released recently so it's still going. Look at 7D2 threads.

Get the 70D if the price is good and you really want the features it has over your current T3i.

Maybe ensure you're getting it from an authorized seller so you can keep a warranty? KEH?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by DaveKosiba. (2 edits in all)

Jan 17, 2015 09:15 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #10

According to those posting in the 70D focus issues thread, you will need to test with a fast lens, f/2.8 or faster, only use the center focus point, and shoot a subject at least 15 ft away. It's the combination of these parameters that users are finding an issue.

However, it has also been stated that the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens does not reliably focus with most Canon bodies so it is not a good lens to test with for the focus problem.

Given your two lenses are the Canon 50 f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4, you should not see a focus issue even if the copy of 70D you pick up has an issue. I would recommend you borrow and test with a faster lens, like a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 as an example.

I've had my 70D for over a year and love the camera, I upgraded from a 60D and find the new features well worth the few hundred dollars difference I paid. I've not seen any focus issues with my copy. It would be more than a minor upgrade from your T3i, particularly if you also shoot video.

Good luck with your purchase, please keep us updated.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 17, 2015 09:22 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #17386639 (external link)
Heya,

The 70D is a minor upgrade over the 600D (T3i). Slightly better ISO performance. Better AF, but still not like anything you'd find from a 7D/1D/5D3, better video AF but that's new tech in general.

Throw the 70-200 on the 70D and test a shot in good light. You'll know right away whether there is a focus issue or not. Test on your 50 as well, in good light.

The threads about focus issues are for every camera Canon releases. It just happens to have been released recently so it's still going. Look at 7D2 threads.

Get the 70D if the price is good and you really want the features it has over your current T3i.

Maybe ensure you're getting it from an authorized seller so you can keep a warranty? KEH?

Very best,

I'm not sure that I would necessarily call the upgrade "minor". I guess this depends on what you're looking for in the upgrade. The image quality is better but nothing drastic. However, it has a touch screen, WIFI, 7fps vs 3fps, 19 cross points vs 1 cross point, higher resolution, etc.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by DaveKosiba. (2 edits in all)

Jan 17, 2015 14:14 |  #12

njstacker22 wrote in post #17386791 (external link)
I'm not sure that I would necessarily call the upgrade "minor". I guess this depends on what you're looking for in the upgrade. The image quality is better but nothing drastic. However, it has a touch screen, WIFI, 7fps vs 3fps, 19 cross points vs 1 cross point, higher resolution, etc.

Yep, not to mention better weather sealing, micro focus adjust, transmissive LCD VF, Digic 5+ image processor, one stop higher native ISO, and user customizable focus tracking all in a body that is about the same size body with slightly better ergonomics.

The 70D has been in the market about 14-15 months now and with the recent release of Canon's flagship APS-C body, the 7D Mark II, you can see that the 70D still has 98% of the features in a body costing almost twice as much. The 7D gets you 3fps more, even higher level of weather sealing, dual SD/CF card slot, 65pt AF, Dual Digic 6 processors, and a 100% VF. However, you give up WiFi for GPS, and no articulating screen. In my opinion, the 70D is still the better buy for a Canon APS-C body.

I also like the Canon 6D because it is such a great buy for a FF body, I've seen prices down to $1299 recently. However, I would like to have seen the 6D have a few more of the features found in the 70D.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,681 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2015 11:38 |  #13

The 70D has autofocus micro-adjustment. After owning a 60D, I will never buy a camera that does not have AFMA. The 60D had its focus mechanism slightly off, and that camera had to go to the factory twice to have it replaced. If I had the 70D (which I do now), all it would take is just a minor adjustment.

Plus many more considerable improvements that others noted.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 19, 2015 12:09 |  #14

I had a T3i and I would say the difference is definitely not minor unless you are speaking strictly about IQ. But then, that also applies to the 7D, which seems to share the same sensor.

The AF is on par with the 7D if you don't use the additional focus modes that are missing from the 70D. And if you shoot moving objects, the increase to 7fps and deeper buffer will make a world of difference.

And all the other features have already been addressed as well.

Joel

crofter
310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by crofter.

Jan 19, 2015 13:38 |  #15

Just wondering if Malveaux is getting confused with the 700D, his post would make more sense, these different camera names in different continents are confusing at the best of times, just bought a 70D but haven't had the opportunity to get to grips with it, early results are looking good.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links

12,001 views & 4 likes for this thread
Buying a 70D - what to seek, what to avoid
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.