Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First shoot gone bad

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 06, 2015 16:42 |  #1

So, I have been working on building my business now for the last two years and have had some really good experiences and a few not so good but great learning experiences. I have heard tail of them, but up to now I have not really had a shoot gone bad. So here is my story to share.

Shoot was scheduled for 3:30, with the weather being actually pretty good for a pre evening engagement shoot. I did not know the area at all, but after some research and help from the B&G we chose a location, the botanical gardens in Berkeley. So, I arrive on location on time and early to find a 200 guest reception taking place and no parking at all. then, my cell phone is dead. Way dead. and the charge cord not working. Client phone number on phone, wife at home not answering (from the store phone, the clerk was very helpful), and its almost time for them to arrive.

I decide to wait, and catch them. No show... now what's up. So I go looking for a place to buy a cord. Find one after driving around a bit at a local radio shack. Get phone charged up. Contact clients. They are running late, but are in route. I go back to where I was. No client. I find out that there are two botanical garden locations. yes two. I'm at the wrong one. So I get the right one. Its now 4:15 and the park closes at 5.

Clients look great, lighting is awesome, and all the elements are there to salvage this except for a nasty ranger pushing us out of the park. I get him to give us a pass for a few and we click out a few shots, rushed and cold.

I did manage to get off a few good shots, but the rushed atmosphere, everyone being late, and the anxious ranger to close the park really spoiled what I find to be the best part of a wedding package, the engagement shoot. I felt really bad for them. The wedding is pretty close, at the end of the month, so a re-shoot is not an option. But I did offer to do a couples shoot after the wedding or a trash the dress for free to make it up for them.

So there is my bad shoot story. Does anyone else have one to share?

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 17, 2015 15:41 |  #2

I only have a bad print job tail that is currently unfolding. Client (family) has no clue what they want out of the print as far as size goes. Won't clearly answer my numerous questions to narrow it down. Said they wanted a canvas, I used the pic they liked and had it shipped to them. Decided they didn't want canvas anymore. Won't decide on the details of the pic (acrylic vs paper vs metal).

Long story short, my sister is a PITA. They like to throw money around and then they act like this and wonder why it's impossibly on my end to make them happy, which is all I'm trying to do.

I dread my first bad shoot because I think the anxiety and stress of it would bother me too much. I'm sure it'll happen, I just really don't want it to. So far, I'm only taking jobs for friends that want photos done and I'm not charging them. First round is free, but I accept nice scotch as a thank you.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 17, 2015 16:00 |  #3

The worst I have had as a primary is one time I had a couples shoot booked. They showed up 30 minutes late with the sister of the man. She had a camera in tow. They decided they no longer want to pay for my services but they would give me a $10 Starbucks GC if I showed the sister how to use her camera to take photos of them. I politely declined and was told that I was just afraid of competition and that the sister would be stealing more clients from me. I just laughed and said anybody that would hire a photographer that couldn't use a camera would never be a client of mine. The female half of the couple did later call to apologize for her boyfriends behaviour though.

The worst as a assistant/2nd shooter was an engagement shoot. Couple picked location. We scoped it out and it was not a good location at all. They insisted. They show up and she is nicely dressed and he looks like he just rolled out of bed with a ratty t-shirt and backwards hat. Hasn't shaved in days. He didn't want to do it at all. She was yelling at him and he was yelling back. Just really awkward and uncomfortable all around. They get the photos and a week later the main photog gets a message. They hated the photos. He calls back and for nearly 2 weeks no return call. Finally gets one and they hated the photos for two reasons. One is because they hated the location and the other was they hated how he looked. They wanted their money back. They didn't get it.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 17, 2015 19:30 |  #4

Wow those are bad... I dont feel so bad now. I posted a few on the session I

Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Jan 18, 2015 01:00 |  #5

the flying moose wrote in post #17387179 (external link)
The worst I have had as a primary is one time I had a couples shoot booked. They showed up 30 minutes late with the sister of the man. She had a camera in tow. They decided they no longer want to pay for my services but they would give me a $10 Starbucks GC if I showed the sister how to use her camera to take photos of them. I politely declined and was told that I was just afraid of competition and that the sister would be stealing more clients from me. I just laughed and said anybody that would hire a photographer that couldn't use a camera would never be a client of mine. The female half of the couple did later call to apologize for her boyfriends behaviour though.

Normally I am all about staying calm and professional in any situation. Business is business and you shouldn't do anything extreme (such a legal action) for emotional reasons. But in the above case - I so would have sued their arse off for breach of contract.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 18, 2015 02:25 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #6

I agree... this one is crazy ridiculous. I almost wonder if this was a wacko boyfriend issue. Made my shoot seem smooth.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2015 04:40 |  #7

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17387707 (external link)
Normally I am all about staying clam and professional in any situation. Business is business and you shouldn't do anything extreme (such a legal action) for emotional reasons. But in the above case - I so would have sued their arse off for breach of contract.

I was partially to blame. It was one of those situations where I thought I was helping someone I knew and took the job before a contract was signed or payment was made. I got the call two days before the shoot and the couple couldn't meet up until the day of the shoot. So technically there was no signed contract. I will not even leave my house without a signed contract in place anymore so I learned a lesson that I am lucky didn't cost me much more than wasted gas and my time.

Roamingbull wrote in post #17387752 (external link)
I agree... this one is crazy ridiculous. I almost wonder if this was a wacko boyfriend issue. Made my shoot seem smooth.

I think so. All issues I have run into seem to revolve around crazy guys. Jealous boyfriends, guys trying to save a few bucks, guys not wanting to do it at all and sabotaging the shoot trying to blame me. Here are some of my wonderful experiences with crazy guys. https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17340926

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 08, 2015 00:33 |  #8

Well, I have a couple "funny" stories!:)

the first one goes back more than 10 years. I was shooting with one of my early digital cameras, not a high quality one, and I was inexperienced and pretty much fumbling around.

However, a good friend of mine was aiming to marry her boyfriend and asked me to be their photographer for their wedding....!

What could I say to a dear friend, so I said "OK"...

But the background is the tricky part. I live in Southwest Washington. My friend and her boyfriend had moved onto a ranch outside of Boise, Idaho, and were planning on getting married in that area, so OK, a trip to Idaho...

Well, a mutual friend was all excited about going to the wedding, so I decided to ride along with her. She had things all mapped out and picked me up to head to Idaho!

All went well until we were approaching the Idaho border, and we passed a sign announcing that we were crossing into the Mountain Time Zone! In other words, at that point we were running an hour late for the wedding!

What could we do? We arrived while they were in the middle of their reception! How could I be their wedding photographer? Forget it!!

Well, that was a bad one!

Moving forward to, gosh, 2012. I was quite active, working with some local "community" groups shooting various events and such (with better photo gear)!

One of these groups was hosting an "open mike" event at a local tavern and the lady who led the group asked me to do "event photography" of the performances and such and I said "sure" and showed up I popped on my 580EX to my camera and began grabbing photos -- we were having a good time!

But then, my flash died! Dang, the batteries went out! I had some extras stuffed away and I put them in, but dang, they had been sitting "idle" for too long and had drained out, so dang, my shoot was over! I explained, the hostess of the event shrugged things off, and it was time for me to leave...Oh Well

And that's story number two!!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 09, 2015 16:19 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

Oh wow, so sorry that happened. Before doing my photo gig, I did professional Bull riding for the PRCA. I was not very good, but I gave it my all. I would work shift trades with the guys at the station, and head off to a rodeo here and there in other states. I had a similar incident with my first out of state bull ride. Forgot the time change in Montana. It was a bit of a hoot watching a guy running across the rodeo grounds pulling on his gear, looking for his bull, and getting on. Somehow I made it, the judge was kind... he could have turned me out and fined me... Got bucked off anyway lol.

Hope your friends were ok... thanks for sharing.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2015 02:19 |  #10

Roamingbull wrote in post #17549816 (external link)
Oh wow, so sorry that happened. Before doing my photo gig, I did professional Bull riding for the PRCA. I was not very good, but I gave it my all. I would work shift trades with the guys at the station, and head off to a rodeo here and there in other states. I had a similar incident with my first out of state bull ride. Forgot the time change in Montana. It was a bit of a hoot watching a guy running across the rodeo grounds pulling on his gear, looking for his bull, and getting on. Somehow I made it, the judge was kind... he could have turned me out and fined me... Got bucked off anyway lol.

Hope your friends were ok... thanks for sharing.

Heh! Thanks for the thought! The last I saw them they were living a happy Idaho ranch life!:)

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 11, 2015 18:00 |  #11

Ouch, some pretty gnarly stories up there. :oops:

We haven't had anything too horrifying happen, yet. We've been chased from private property a few times (utilizing wild flowers, etc). It's kind of humorous that a few locations that we used to frequent now have all these privacy signs, no trespassing signs, etc now due to frequent use. One time, a lady came out and yelled at us after agreeing for us to use the property for the plant life, and changed their mind and yelled some more that they're worried about liability in case someone falls on their property. We just packed up the kids and left.

Permission or not, people just get all bent out of shape. Even here in the BFE country side.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2015 20:33 |  #12

One more story!

One of the groups that was doing event shooting, a group of downtown businesses, sponsor open air concerts at a local park during the summer. They enlisted me to be their organization photographer, fine good times were had by all, and I enjoyed myself...

Right until one afternoon, I had showed up...I remember chatting with a local photojournalist who was also shooting Canon, cool, then I set out to go to work! I put my camera up and gave it the first button press, and...NOTHING! Tried again, still nothing! I don't remember the sequence, either I opened the battery door and found it empty and found no spares in my camera bag, or, with a sinking gut feeling I recalled that I had left my batteries at home with at least one on a charger!

Needless to say I was, well, disturbed, especially because the one local/downtown camera shop, the only place nearby that might carry batteries for my trusty ol' 5D Classic, had closed down some time ago!

At the time I was either riding my bike or taking a bus, don't remember which, but I realized with a sinking heart that the time and expense involved in looking for replacement batteries was, well, let's just say I counted the day as a loss...:(

Tony

majix
396 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 12, 2015 03:52 |  #13

having a check list is very useful to prevent this sort of thing

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdpic.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 12, 2015 04:43 |  #14

majix wrote in post #17553039 (external link)
having a check list is very useful to prevent this sort of thing

Heh! Having a mental checklist comes in handy when you're on the run! But dang, I'm getting old and worn out!

Tony

majix
396 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 12, 2015 08:35 |  #15

my mental checklist was worn out from the beginning :lol:

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdpic.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,020 views & 4 likes for this thread
First shoot gone bad
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.