Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 17 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you think it's right to enter the Nikon system (D5300) at this time?

rfe777
81 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 17, 2015 14:16 |  #1

I currently have a Canon 70D and a Canon 15-85 lens, and although it's a great combination - camera is very quick and intuitive, focus is very quick, lens is very sharp - it's also very big, heavy and cumbersome, about 1.3 kg. I couldn't have known that until I took the camera with me on a one week trip. So, I want to replace this system with a lighter, smaller one, without risking image quality. Although a mirrorless camera is the most recommended option for me, I also consider the D5300 as a viable option. The scores it has on DXOmark speak for themselves. However, I don't know if buying a new DSLR and entering the Nikon system is the right thing to do, as the whole camera world is moving toward mirrorless cameras. I wouldn't want to be having to replace my system again in about 2-3 years...

So, what do you think?

TIA

Sony A6000, Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS, Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS , Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 17, 2015 15:01 |  #2

rfe777 wrote in post #17387078 (external link)
I currently have a Canon 70D and a Canon 15-85 lens, and although it's a great combination - camera is very quick and intuitive, focus is very quick, lens is very sharp - it's also very big, heavy and cumbersome, about 1.3 kg. I couldn't have known that until I took the camera with me on a one week trip. So, I want to replace this system with a lighter, smaller one, without risking image quality. Although a mirrorless camera is the most recommended option for me, I also consider the D5300 as a viable option. The scores it has on DXOmark speak for themselves. However, I don't know if buying a new DSLR and entering the Nikon system is the right thing to do, as the whole camera world is moving toward mirrorless cameras. I wouldn't want to be having to replace my system again in about 2-3 years...

So, what do you think?

TIA

This is something you have to decide for yourself, pick a system that meets your needs.

My thoughts on your reasoning above though are that you seem to be thinking about a big leap to solve a small problem. You want a smaller, lighter outfit, but you can get that by switching your 70D for a more entry level Canon model and not have to swap the whole shebang. The 1200d is the same weight as that Nikon, and the 700D is only 100g more, still significantly lighter than the 70D.

DXO mark isn't something that would make me think one camera is better than another overall, it measures one very specific area of performance under certain conditions and ignores a whole range of other factors which go towards creating a good quality image.

The whole camera world is NOT moving towards mirrorless, sure they have their fans and they are certainly here to stay, but they are not a replacement for a DSLR for a great many people (myself included) so I see no situation where you would "have" to replace your system again with a mirrorless in 3-4 years, unless you happen to want a mirrorless system, in which case buy one now.

I would suggest that you look at the different options and decide which best meets your needs, any opinions you are given in a forum as to what to get are generally based on the wants of the person giving you advice, what suits them, rather than what suits you.

It sounds to me like you would be best off going mirrorless now, you seem to like that option and low weight is your priority. Check them out and find one that has the specification you need, if you can't find one that meets your requirement then you will need to look into DSLRs again, and find the lightest one that does what you need.

rfe777
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 17, 2015 15:07 |  #3

sandpiper wrote in post #17387113 (external link)
This is something you have to decide for yourself, pick a system that meets your needs.

My thoughts on your reasoning above though are that you seem to be thinking about a big leap to solve a small problem. You want a smaller, lighter outfit, but you can get that by switching your 70D for a more entry level Canon model and not have to swap the whole shebang. The 1200d is the same weight as that Nikon, and the 700D is only 100g more, still significantly lighter than the 70D.

DXO mark isn't something that would make me think one camera is better than another overall, it measures one very specific area of performance under certain conditions and ignores a whole range of other factors which go towards creating a good quality image.

The whole camera world is NOT moving towards mirrorless, sure they have their fans and they are certainly here to stay, but they are not a replacement for a DSLR for a great many people (myself included) so I see no situation where you would "have" to replace your system again with a mirrorless in 3-4 years, unless you happen to want a mirrorless system, in which case buy one now.

I would suggest that you look at the different options and decide which best meets your needs, any opinions you are given in a forum as to what to get are generally based on the wants of the person giving you advice, what suits them, rather than what suits you.

It sounds to me like you would be best off going mirrorless now, you seem to like that option and low weight is your priority. Check them out and find one that has the specification you need, if you can't find one that meets your requirement then you will need to look into DSLRs again, and find the lightest one that does what you need.

I won't lie that switching to mirrorless doesn't appeal to me - much lighter, EVF (no more guessing...), lenses are more compact - but still, don't know...

Sony A6000, Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS, Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS , Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by LudwigVB.

Jan 17, 2015 18:03 as a reply to  @ rfe777's post |  #4

Been there, done that, never again!

I ditched all my Canon gear years ago and tried Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless. I found I just couldn't get on with either system because I couldn't stand not having a pentaprism OVF. EVF didn't feel 'natural. So I ditched my mirrorless gear and bought a Nikon D90, the best camera for me at that time.

PNPhotography
792 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2015 18:42 |  #5

So, what do you think?

TIA

Did you ever think of a Canon SL1?? Really small and cheap right now. I'm kinda in your same boat about getting a mirror less but buying a whole new set of lenses doesn't appeal much to me.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

rfe777
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 17, 2015 22:50 |  #6

canon rookie wrote in post #17387369 (external link)
Did you ever think of a Canon SL1?? Really small and cheap right now. I'm kinda in your same boat about getting a mirror less but buying a whole new set of lenses doesn't appeal much to me.

I've considered that, but it has really low ISO capabilities, even worse than the 70D (which I've discovered on my trip, as I could clearly see noise even at 800 ISO, thanks to Canon's "superb" sensor), so again, I don't know...

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jan 18, 2015 03:02 as a reply to  @ rfe777's post |  #7

On a side note, I'm surprised at the 70d's ISO capabilities. I've got 40x60 prints on my wall made with the 60d at ISO 6400. Naturally some noise is visible, but the 70d should be more than capable of handling the same sort of ISO's.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

Mathmans
282 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 22, 2015 05:56 as a reply to  @ DoughnutPhoto's post |  #8

D5300 has better (Sony) sensor then D7100 (Toshiba) so, if you want superb image quality in small package this is the way to go. Still; Nikon cameras also show some noise on higher ISO (depends on circumstances). Sometimes (with my D7100) I get visible noise at ISO 800-1000 and another time I can get away with good image at ISO 1600-2000. It depends, how you expose the image and how good are your post processing skils. But most certain D5300 will give you much better image quality then any entry level Canon camera.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

markoftime
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 07, 2015 21:28 |  #9

The D5300 is a great camera. I have 3 Nikon bodies and 10 lenses. I want to buy a d750 and am selling the d5300 on facebook because it is the only camera I have that does not autofocus with all my lenses.

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 08, 2015 14:15 |  #10

what do you think?

If you don't like your actual system because is:

"big, heavy and cumbersome"

you can't obtain any benefit changing a DSLR system for another DSLR system.

I won't lie that switching to mirrorless doesn't appeal to me - much lighter, EVF (no more guessing...), lenses are more compact - but still, don't know...

So be realistic on what you want and what compromise you are willing to do.

studlymonkey
309 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2015 16:49 |  #11

alessandro2009 wrote in post #17422041 (external link)
If you don't like your actual system because is:

you can't obtain any benefit changing a DSLR system for another DSLR system.

So be realistic on what you want and what compromise you are willing to do.

My thoughts exactly. The 70d is comparably light when compared to most other dslrs except the rebel line. I would recommend getting a more comfortable strap, or maybe lift some weights. Also, the whole world is not changing to mirrorless cameras. Maybe once their auto focus is on par with dslrs, more people will consider switching. But until then, most people will be hanging onto their dslrs.

Canon 7Dmkii, 6D
70-200mm f2.8, 16-35mm f4,17-55mm 2.8 is, 100mm 2.8 macro, 100mm 2.8L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 400mm 5.6L
https://www.mtmountain​man.smugmug.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/mtmountainmanphotog​raphy (external link)

lellololes
81 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 15, 2015 11:51 as a reply to  @ studlymonkey's post |  #12

I don't think moving from one SLR system to another SLR system is going to make for a big difference in size. Sure, the body may be smaller, but the lenses won't be, and they end up taking most of the bulk if you've hit the point where size is an issue. Sure, the D5300 is going to be significantly smaller, but hook it up to a decent lens, and the size difference won't be all that big. For the Nikon, I used the most comparable lens to the Canon 15-85 - the 16-85 VR, and chose an OM-D and Pen with prime lenses to compare them to (I chose 17mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8)

http://camerasize.com …0.111,594.383,5​65.93,ha,t (external link)

So yes, the body is smaller and lighter, but a comparable lens will be comparably sized, negating the advantage.

If you like the Canon and want to stick with an SLR, you might consider one of the Rebels with a pancake lens or two - that will get the size down a lot.

The m4/3 cameras here with prime lenses will exceed the capabilities of the slow zoom lenses in general use (They also have in body image stabilization). The downside here is cost and expandability. There is a decent amount of m4/3 stuff available, but outside of the inexpensive prime lenses, they do get quite pricey. If you're concerned about DOF, the difference in DOF is a bit less than 1 stop. An f/4 lens on APS-C is equivalent to an f/3 lens on m4/3. The fast primes will get you more subject separation than an f/2.8 zoom lens will on the APS-C bodies.

If you had a more comprehensive kit, there would definitely be a bigger hurdle to making the jump, but as someone who recently rented an OMD EM1 and a couple lenses, the system really impressed me. It doesn't handle as well as the Canon does, but the size difference is astonishing and the quality is more than enough for me. So I picked up a used Pen and a couple of the little prime lenses to play with, and will be making a similar decision to you, difference being I have a backpack full of Canon kit and making the switch won't be cheap.

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 15, 2015 22:37 |  #13

For your needs probably mirrorless, M4/3. I use Sony RX100 when I'm away for a while, fixed lens but great camera. Nikon 5300 no doubt great camera but not that much smaller than 70D I guess.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

rfe777
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 27, 2015 04:42 |  #14

studlymonkey wrote in post #17422335 (external link)
My thoughts exactly. The 70d is comparably light when compared to most other dslrs except the rebel line. I would recommend getting a more comfortable strap, or maybe lift some weights. Also, the whole world is not changing to mirrorless cameras. Maybe once their auto focus is on par with dslrs, more people will consider switching. But until then, most people will be hanging onto their dslrs.

I workout 3 times a week (although mostly cardio...) so no need to worry here ;)

What I meant is that the 70D is mostly big and cumbersome. With the weight I can manage most of the time. Also, it needs a dedicated camera bag, in addition to the backpack I always carry on me.
All this additional burden is not something that I want when I'm on vacations or traveling. Just don't need that.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,497 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 27, 2015 10:16 |  #15

rfe777 wrote in post #17452019 (external link)
I workout 3 times a week (although mostly cardio...) so no need to worry here ;)

What I meant is that the 70D is mostly big and cumbersome. With the weight I can manage most of the time. Also, it needs a dedicated camera bag, in addition to the backpack I always carry on me.
All this additional burden is not something that I want when I'm on vacations or traveling. Just don't need that.

As the others have said though, DSLR's are all as near in size and weight to each other that it really doesn't make a difference which one you have e in that regard.

Rent a Sony a6000, I think most if not all of your concerns would be put to bed.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,376 views & 1 like for this thread
Do you think it's right to enter the Nikon system (D5300) at this time?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.